Sign in to follow this  
clive6354

737NGX SPECIFICATION

Hello 

I have selected my specifications to use with the 737NGX  based on performance and affordability

Intel i5-4460 (3.2GB) 6Mb Cache

8Gb Ram DDR3 1600Mhz

2Gb Geforce GTX 750Ti

240Gb SSD drive (450Mb/R, 450MB/W)

Will these specifications do the 737NGX justice?

Should run it fairly well; expect stutters around high-quality airports though. 

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

IF you can fit this into your budget, I would go with:

I7 4790K and overclock to 4.8 Ghz (Cyberpowerpc can do it, but there are others, they did a very good job with mine)

Z97 motherboard for use with overclock.

Corsair liquid cooling system

NVidia 780TI video card (Plenty)

Faster memory 8 GB

Full names on all posts in the PMDG forums please.

Your original post contains specifications that meet or exceed PMDG recommendations http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/P3D/ngx8900.html

You didn't mention your OS selection, make sure it is 64b and not Win8.  You didn't mention your simulator: FSX, FSXSE or P3D?  Regardless, I would not expect stutters and while Alberto is recommending a fast system he didn't offer to pay for it.  Are you building or buying a retail product?  Building costs 1/3 what retail costs.... something to consider.

Finally, the 240GB SSD is the smallest I would consider.  I just saw 512GB SSDs at Newegg for about $200 and wouldn't consider anything smaller, especially if your OS is going to share a drive with your flight simulator.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for all the advice.

I will be using windows 7 64bit and fsx.

The ssd hard drive size wa what i could afford however your comments about size makes me wonder whether to go for a 500Gb drive normal speed

Clive alexander.

I will have the sytem built once decided on specs.

In addition to fsx and 737ngx i will be using.

Fs2crew.

ASN.

Rex textures.

Scenery 2000 airports.

Ezdoc.

Correct, I am not paying and hence my big IF it can be fitted into the budget. Please just bear in mind that some components are actually cheaper than when they came out, and in general you will benefit from overclocking the processor more than anything else. The processor I recommended is demanding of a motherboard and other things and does not come cheap. overclocking also is something that I would rather have a pro do and not DIY, you risk loosing your investment. And now that you mention ASN, it is very taxing on a system. In time you will want to buy some airports.

It all boils down to your budget really.

Hi Everyone

I have chosen the following specification

i7-4790 (3.6GHz) 8MB Cache

8Gb Ram (DDR3) 1600Mhz

2Gb Nvidea GeForce 750Ti

250Gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD,SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR- 520MB/sW)

Supplied and built inclusive of VAT is £580.00

And now that you mention ASN, it is very taxing on a system.

How so? ASN uses very little CPU power and runs outside FSX. The weather that it produces, such as a heavy storm, can cause an FPS drop if 4 or more layers of storm clouds have to be rendered and the user is using 32 bit cloud textures rather then DXT textures. There are also settings in ASN than can be turned down or off to help performance.

I've been using ASN since release with DXT cloud textures and don't see any "taxing" performance increase that you mention. You can cause an FPS hit just using the default FSX weather generator by drawing 5 cloud layers of thunder storms and setting your cloud draw to max.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ever since I bought ASN the sim does not run as smooth. I have a top end system. I love the software and the WXR in the airplane. I take the performance hit gladly to enjoy it, and put it as an example why you would want a fast processor.

I suppose you can regulate how much performance you want out of it, and the user definitely benefits from the faster processors. No need to take my comments as a personal offense.

Ever since I bought ASN the sim does not run as smooth. I have a top end system. I love the software and the WXR in the airplane. I take the performance hit gladly to enjoy it, and put it as an example why you would want a fast processor.

I suppose you can regulate how much performance you want out of it, and the user definitely benefits from the faster processors. No need to take my comments as a personal offense.

You should post your problem on the Hifisim website so they can help you get it dialed it. I'm only running a 2700K at 3.8ghz, 8GB 2133mhz RAM, and a GTX 670 and I used DXT cloud textures to help performance in cloudy or stormy weather and I keep the cloud max draw distance to around 110 miles. I'm not at my FSX computer or I could share the other settings I use, but there is one other visual ASN setting that can cause a bit of an FPS hit in really cloudy weather but can't remember what it is. Anyway, with pretty good settings not sacrificing much, I don't get much of a performance penalty in bad weather.

Regards,

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator