Hi. 

I am looking to upgrade and get a new computer.

Currently running:

Intel i5 4670

GTX 660

8gb memory.

The upgrade would be:

Intel i5 4690K

GTX970

8gb memory.

The advice I need is regarding the processor. I can get the i5 4690K which would be overclocked up to 4.6ghz. Or I can get the i7 4790K which would also be overclocked up to 4.6ghz.

Which processor would be the best? Is there really that much between the i5 and the i7?

Thanks.

Callum.

Currently asking myself the same question for a brand new build I'm doing. I'm basically telling myself:

- The i5 4690k is base clock 3.5 with Turbo up to 3.9Ghz standard, and would need OC'ing to get any further.

- The i7 4790k is base of 4.0 with Turbo up to 4.4Ghz standard.

Obviously the only REAL difference is the hyper-threading, which isn't really of any bother to FS users right now. However IMHO for future proofing and purely because of its base clock and how right now the processor would be staying stable, I'm probably going to go for the i7 to feel more comfortable. I want to get at least 5 years of comfortable gaming/simming before even considering upgrading as this is my first big proper build.

You say a "brand new build" Sam. So I presume an entire build, CPU MB and RAM etc.

So have you rejected Skylake, if so, I'm curious why.

Skylake is a tad faster, [iMC improvements] plus DDR4 and other advantageous features.

Same question to Callum.

You say a "brand new build" Sam. So I presume an entire build, CPU MB and RAM etc.

Skylake is a tad faster, [iMC improvements] plus DDR4 and other advantageous features.

Same question to Callum.

I'm looking at Scan 3xs systems and the only option is Haswell at the moment.

Same question to Callum.

Mainly the price differences, for a Skylake system anything I configure seems to come out at around £1050-£1100, however I only really have the budget for £800-£850 Max. This is the first time i've built from scratch so i'm also not overly confident treading in to territory where not yet many people have yet been. (However that'll change after time).

I have definitely looked in to the newer processors and have seen the improvements in performance but i'm not sure whether I can personally justify an extra £200 for a machine that's the top end of today's standards when I can configure a Haswell system which will still blow away most of my games and simulators with ease.

Fair enough, but check out the Asus PC DIY site Sam. They have a Skylake system speced up for $630. Swap the card for a GTX 970 and you should be around $900. I recall it includes monitor. You would have to check the prices for the same kit here in the UK of course.

Also quite a few Sylake build guides from Asus. How to build your PC from start to finish. Should be useful for you, even if you go for Haswell. Should be Asus Haswell video guides out there too.

The link at the bottom is a nice video too.

https://pcdiy.asus.com/category/pc-build-guides/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A4a7LfOxuI

All things Skylake below, UEFI stuff, 5 way optimisation etc...

https://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/08/all-things-asus-z170-skylake-platform-overviews-build-guides-overclocking-more/