Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Oh My God! ORBX and DTG Making Meigs Field!

Looks like DTG and ORBX relationship has brought us something we have wanted for a longgggg time!

This field was closed a long time ago in a travesty of governance by Chicagos mayor. You can watch this documentary here:

But Orbx and DTG are bringing it back to life! As is the case with the other ORBX FSX Steam exclusives, it will eventually make its way to the regular ORBX market some time after the release on Steam.

"Flight simulation has been intertwined with the legendary Meigs Field for decades. Few airports hold as much nostalgia, familiarity, and emotion for aviation enthusiasts. Located on the coast of Lake Michigan, Meigs Field operated as the gateway to corporate Chicago for over half a century.

Now, twelve years after its closure, Meigs Field (KCGX) has been recreated with the utmost attention to detail and accuracy. Depicted as it was in its final years, virtual pilots are welcomed to return to what was once the busiest single strip airport in the United States and enjoy it in high definition.

Featuring a fully modeled terminal, highly detailed static aircraft, and other historically accurate elements, the airport has been brought back to life. In addition to the airfield itself, the city of Chicago waterfront and parks district has received a facelift to bring the area up to date. With over a decade of combined experience in flight simulation development, Alex Goff and Tim Harris have developed Meigs Field using latest technology to provide a beautiful and smooth flight simulation experience.

Key features

• 30cm ground imagery for airport and Chicago waterfront
  • Custom 5m mesh
  • Highly accurate rendition of Meigs Field as it stood in the early 2000’s
  • Waterfront landmarks including the Adler Planetarium, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum, Soldier Field, and McCormick Place Convention Center
  • Optional custom autogen trees for improved authenticity
  • Optional custom ground bump map for improved clarity
  • Full control panel app to customize player’s level of detail"

2015-7-13_17-54-43-903.png

2015-7-13_17-53-7-880.png

• Upvote 1

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

That looks fantastic!! 

Very nostalgic of all those hours spent in the default FS98 C172 on this field! 

• Upvote 1

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Surprised that not more people have found this topic, or left a comment.

ICONIC for every simmer who has been in this hobby for more then ten years ;-)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

I hate to be a teenager but Oh My Gosh!  Too bad I don't use FSX-SE, but will look for it from ORBX regular store.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I liked the video, it shows how well detailed it will be. Just love that unique runway texture :)

Regards,

Vital Vanbeginne

Would that work in P3D V3? When is Orbx planning on a V3 version of this? any ideas?

Quote "This version will be exclusive to DTG/Steam for 90 days."

We have to wait for 3 more months.. I don't like this "exclusivity" stuff.. like I am going to switch my sim for this..  :Tounge: 

• Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter