Sign in to follow this  
EasyPC

Registry entry missing

Hi, I have both versions of FSX installed, each on their own dedicated drives, but not having used the boxed version for some time I have decided to uninstall both versions and do a clean reinstall of just the Steam version. However before doing anything and having read this excellent article by Craig http://www.avsim.com/topic/458665-a-couple-of-tips-for-fsxse-users/ I downloaded the TweakFS utility and ran it just to check everything was where it was supposed to be, which at first sight it seemed to be. However after doing a manual search of the registry with regedit there appears to be no 'Microsoft Games' folder in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft folder, it's there in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder. Is this likely to cause any problems when I uninstall the programmes? The Steam version seems to be running OK but as I said I haven't used the boxed version for quite some time now.

Many thanks,

Peter.

Did I ask a silly question?

Did I post in the wrong forum?

I really would like to know how a registry entry can appear in TweakFS but not in regedit.

After digging a little deeper into the registry I note that a Microsoft Games folder complete with Microsoft Flight Simulator and Microsoft Flight Simulator - Steam Edition sub folders does exist in the folder HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-899497679-2307127831-214103353-1000\Software\Microsoft\

Is this normal? If so why doesn't it appear in TweakFS, a programme I thought was supposed to show all FSX entries.

Will these folders be removed when I uninstall both versions of FSX? if not will it be safe to remove them manually?

Lots of questions I know but I'm sure there's some gurus out there with the answers.

Are you running a 64 bit OS?

Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks for the reply Joe, yes there is an entry at that location but only for flight simulator\10.0 nothing for the Steam edition, is this correct. Also is the entry in the HKEY_USERS\ folder normal?

Anyway I am going to go ahead and uninstall everything and then delete any remaining registry entries that are left behind, are there any locations other than the ones already mentioned that I should look in as it would appear that TweakFS doesn't find them all.

Many thanks,

Peter.

Are you having problems with the sim?

If not, I would forget about the registry and go fly.

Windows does a pretty good job of taking care of the registry and messing around with it could cause problems, major problems.

FTR, the Steam key is in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX

Yes, I have keys in the HKEY_USERS, though the numbers are different. That is to be expected.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

If we have a dual installation of FSX and FSX-SE, and we uninstall both versions of FSX and install FSX-SE, we have to make sure that FSX-SE looks like FSX after the final install. If the system is not properly cleaned of all aspects of both FSX-SE and boxed FSX before finally installing FSX-SE, then FSX-SE will install again as it is in the dual installation. Once we've got the steam edition going properly as the only FSX version, we find we will still have all the accoutrements of the boxed version of FSX, including the registry entry for compatibility, to present a familiar system to addons. However, the regular FSX registry entry setup path will contain the actual steam edition program folder location.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com