Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Train simulator 2016 Available now on Steam.

Release Info: I'm still messing with it, so not much to say beyond the official blurbs.  :smile: 

Free update as usual, just sign in and let it update. Have fun!

Ever dreamed of driving trains? Now you can! Train Simulator 2016 brings to life some amazing extreme train challenges on real world routes and delivers the ultimate railway hobby. 

Power: Haul thousands of tons of cargo over Sherman Hill Summit in the legendary Union Pacific Gas Turbine 

Pressure: Command the mighty Castle Class in the golden age of steam on the busy Cornish Riviera Line 

Precision: Beat the clock as a Deutsche Bahn driver on the challenging West Rhine Main Line. 

Plus, with Train Simulator 2016, get started on your driver career at the TS Academy and master your machines with support from the new Driver Assists system - you can also capture the perfect scene in the all new Railfan mode. 

TS2016 features four stunning routes for you to enjoy: 

Sherman Hill: Cheyenne to Laramie, including Union Pacific Gas Turbine-Electric, ES44AC, SD70M, SD40-2 and SW10 locomotives 
Riviera Line: Exeter to Kingswear, including GWR Castle Class, Grange Class, King Class, Hall Class and Pannier Tank locomotives 
West Rhine: Cologne to Koblenz, including DB BR 155, BR 146.2, BR 101 and BR 294 locomotives. 

Plus, TS2016: Steam Edition also includes the Norfolk Southern Coal District route, the beautifully rural Mon Line running through the heart of Pennsylvania, USA. 

Train Simulator 2016 – are you ready for the extreme?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I've owned Train Simulator since the 2012 version. I've purchased a number of addons for it but I just have a hard time getting into it. It handles like it's on rails. There, I said it. I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself. :smile:  Thanks for the heads up.

NAX669.png

Well, Dovetail have surpassed themselves with this year's update.

You want the graphical menu update......and nothing else? Well, that's £25 please.

The only thing "extreme" about this thing is the sheer nerve which Dovetail has.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

No need to pay 25, you get the upgrade for free. The only thing you'll get by paying are those 3 scenaries.

As usual of course, it's not really something worth being called Train simulator 2016 since it's just another tiny upgrade. I hope next year we'll see it running on the new engine they picked.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

I could see Dovetails point though in not spending time on major changes to a product that's about to be superseded. If there were any big new ideas, it might make sense to save them for the switchover to the new graphics engine.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

No need to pay 25, you get the upgrade for free. The only thing you'll get by paying are those 3 scenaries.

As usual of course, it's not really something worth being called Train simulator 2016 since it's just another tiny upgrade. I hope next year we'll see it running on the new engine they picked.

Not so.

The updated UI is only available to those with the paid-for version. Those, like me, who simply take the free update still have the old UI.....which is poor.

This is the first time they have ever done that and is a clear signal that this will be the last major update on the current-engine TS. It could be that they will link ongoing support to your having the paid version on your system.....thus forcing you at some stage to buy it. Nothing really surprises me with Dovetail.....

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

Did you see what the new UI is about tho? On youtube you can find comparisons.. it didn't really change much, surely not enough to spend 25 euros on it.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Update is worth 6 dollars

They are charging a lot more cause they need gas for their pleasure jet

no simulators for these guys

Update is worth 6 dollars

They are charging a lot more cause they need gas for their pleasure jet

no simulators for these guys

Don't forget their head honchos are all ex-EA so they won't do things by halves.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

Devons rig

Thanks OP for the tip. I bought two of the wonderful steam engines by smokebox. Head and shoulders above the rest:

Here's input from the tutorial first drive of their smallest engine the little Lima 2-8-0

1. When you first click on the locomotive in Free Roam, the train brakes are automatically moved to the 75% position (“apply”) and the independent brake is set to 100% (“full”). This is to stop the train from rolling away on an incline. You’ll hear the hissing of the train brakes being applied. To avoid losing too much air pressure, you should immediately move the train brake lever to the “hold” position (about 35%, where the hissing sound stops).

2. If it’s not raining, open the doors, windows and roof ventilator;

3. Start the hydrostatic lubricator and check that you can see the oil droplets rising in the sight windows;

4. Check the water level in the boiler – the red ball should be near the top of the glass sight gauge;

5. Start the Cross Compound Air Compressor and check that you have 120psi in the main reservoir;

6. You can also open the compressor’s drain cock for a minute to drain out the condensation from its steam cylinders (Ctrl-V to toggle it on and off);

7. Start the Electric DC Generator;

8. Select the color of the classification lights, as appropriate (press U or Shift-U as many times as needed);

9. Switch on the headlights (dim or bright, as appropriate);

10. If it’s dark, switch on the gauge light and cab light;

11. Open the steam throttles for the exhaust and live injectors, and for the blower;

12. Turn on the blower a little bit, to maintain a draft from the firebox through to the smokebox while the loco is stationary;

13. Open the damper doors slightly (raise the saw-toothed bar in the floor)

14. Open the cylinder cocks (pull the small lever in the floor, near the door on the engineer’s side, towards you);

15. Crack open the regulator slightly – you should now see steam coming out of the cylinder cocks (in the real world, this helps to warm the cylinders and to expel any water that might have condensed in them while the loco was stationary) and the steam from the cylinder relief valves will stop;

16. If firing manually in expert mode, set the stoking rate (pull down momentarily on the firebox doors floor pedal) – the ideal fire mass is 650lbs (idle is 600lbs);

17. Turn on the sanders (move one of the red levers up or down for, respectively, forward or rear sanders);

18. Turn on the bell, if required, by opening the air valve;

19. Push the Johnson bar (the reverser) all the way forward (“into the corner”);

20. Blow the whistle (two blasts);

21. Release the train brake (turn it to the left) and then put it in the “running” position (where it doesn’t make any sound, or just a faint hiss);

22. Release the independent brake (turn it all the way to the left);

23. Open the regulator further to gather speed, but slack off if you hear the wheels slipping;

24. Close the cylinder cocks after about twenty seconds or three full revolutions of the driving wheels (12 chuffs);

25. As the steam chest pressure rises and gets nearly as high as the boiler pressure, pull the Johnson bar a bit closer to you (this is like changing gear in a car before you redline the revs, to be able to go faster);

26. Turn off the sanders (unless you still need sand because of conditions);

27. Once out of the station area, turn off the bell. Rules and regulations require that the bell be sounded before a locomotive begins to move, as well as in congested areas, like yards, that have no public crossing. The bell is also used when approaching an area where there are likely to be members of the public or other employees around the tracks, like stations or industrial spurs. Trains passing other standing trains on sidings will also use the bell to let any workers on the ground know that the train is continuing on the main. In addition, there are a lot of traditional uses for the bell, like a courtesy signal when a train on the main is passing a rail yard or large industry;

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

This may answer at least a few of the longstanding questions about system depth, which has not always been a DTG priority. Some of the new trains however are very "simmy"

Devons rig

Better "simmy" than "gamey"...

...at least "simmy" don't smell bad! :lol:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Better "simmy" than "gamey"...

...at least "simmy" don't smell bad! :lol:

Well...... unless you are using the urban dictionary....... where words turn upside down and who the heck knows what anything means.   :ph34r:

gamey

You know how "bad" means "good"? Well, gamey means, in the words of Benefit:

So nice that it's nasty 

So bangin it's bustin 

So sweet that it's sick 

So dope it's disgusting.

Gamey people are so far beyond the current lingo of the day. 

Simmy

An Awesome person, a awesome friend one of the best you will meet.but is ###### at life :)

man one of my friends is a total Simmy, but i love her.

Devons rig

Actually, I meant "gamey" in the more traditional sense, as in taste and smell:

gam·y

ˈɡāmē/
adjective
adjective: gamey
  1. (of meat) having the strong flavor or smell of game, especially when it is slightly tainted.
    • North American
      racy; disreputable.
      "gamy language"

Someone who hasn't bathed in several weeks could also be described as "gamey." :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator