Sign in to follow this  
PHMUdreamin

Older PFC yoke/pedals p3d compatibility

So I have an opportunity to possibly buy a set of used precision flight controls yoke and rudder pedals. I believe he is selling the cirrus yoke (mooney version) and the cirrus pedals (gen aviation version). Seller says he only used them a couple times and then tossed them in the closet. Problem is they are 7 years old, so I need to know if I would have any problems using these with prepar3d (plan on getting V3 sometime soon). Anyone on the board using older (more than 5 years) PFC peripherals with P3D? Also, they don't have hall sensors... is that big deal? I would have to drive a couple hours to make the purchase so I don't want to drive out there for nothing. 

Thanks for any info!

Hi,

I have a Cirrus SAAB Desktop yoke that is around five to six years old.

It is the older system that did use springs for the aileron tension which has now changed to a rubber cord type. You no doubt have had a look at Word Not Allowed's report elsewhere in this forum.

I do not have the PFC pedals so cannot comment on them but there is an issue with P3D V3 with the older yokes. Apparently they require an updated board to enable them to function correctly & as I'm in Australia I haven't done anything about updating mine yet. This became apparent during Beta testing of V3. A couple of us were having issues & it turned out to be our older yokes.

This problem is negated if you us a registered version of FSUIPC which I do so I'm in no rush to update the board.

As for Hall sensors, no doubt they are good however my analogue pots still work perfectly after all this time so if as the seller states he has hardly used the units then you should have no problem.

One thing about the PFC units, they are built to last.

There has been another issue with my yoke in that the spring system for the aileron control used to cause an annoying clicking when used in roll command. I have negated this by removing the springs & replaced them with a rubber cord which was easy to do & has lasted over a year so far with regular use.

I would suggest if the price is right they will most likely do the job for you quite nicely.

Using FSUIPC is a must I have found whether the yoke works with the sim or not.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Thanks for the response. Gonna pick these up tomorrow. Can't wait to chuck this several year old saitek yoke! I have a registered FSUIPC, but I'm still learning how to use everything though. Do you know any good tutorials for setting up something like a PFC yoke using FSUIPC?

Take heed ... you may want to check to see what the controller board is on the yoke and rudder pedals.  I am a column yoke user and I just purchased a controller board for my yoke as P3D v3.  It was found that there is an issue with the older electronics if you have part 460001-01 rev A will not work in P3d v3 because there is no way to calibrate in the software if you have part 460003-01 rev B it will work 460003-01 rev B is a direct replacement for 460001-01 rev A so anybody with the old hardware can be upgraded it would be useful for any hardware if P3D had calibration built in if it is not using direct input and its calibration.

So before purchasing have a look at the board.  replacing the board from PFC is not cheap either sets you back about $95.00 not including S&H

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

G'day PHMU.

You will really appreciate the difference going from the Saitek yoke. Particularly when flaring to touch down. The PFC is so smooth.

Not sure of any tutorials re the PFC but I found it pretty straight forward doing the set up of axis, calibration & button/switch settings.

Only odd thing that's a bit tricky is I have set up the redundant throttle as my parking brake.

G'day Crosswind,

I have mentioned the board as above but I have found by using FSUIPC & turning off the Controls in the sim I don't have an issue.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

FSUIPC binding works quite well, however it can still be an issue - well in my case it is, so i though I would share.

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

Thanks for the heads up guys. So just to clarify: if it has board 460001-01 rev A it WILL work with v3 but only using FSUIPC? But maybe calibration issues? Can board revision B used without FSUIPC then? 

No, according to PFC the new board is 460003-01 Rev B. 460001-01 rev A will not work because there is no way to calibrate in the software.

I have done a complete install of P3D V3 about four times during the beta testing & each time, including the final build FSUIPC has fixed the problem for me. I switch off the controls in the sim as I have done for FSX & P3D V2 previously as I have been using FSUIPC to control my hardware for years. Particularly since Pete Dowson introduced the ability to create & select profiles with it.

Cheers, Ross

Just an initial report... They work with v3! Picked them up today and have been playing with them for several hours this evening. I have everything working satisfactorily using FSUIPC. Thank god for FSUIPC because the pedals don't calibrate correctly using windows control panel. The springs on the elevator, aileron and toe brakes are a bit stronger than I expected, but I'm coming from a saitek yoke with rubber band mod that in retrospect was way too loose. I usually fly the A2A C182 so this weight might actually be pretty appropriate, as compared to a C152 which is noticeably lighter feeling. Landing feel and control is much better, I'm pretty happy so far. For a while rudder inputs with the A2A C182 were working but the virtual pedals and control surface were not moving, but somehow I fixed the issue. Now I just need to get some kind of throttle quadrant because I want the prop and mixture controls that the saitek provided. 

Good to hear they are working for you.

You will probably get used to the spring tension pretty quickly. If the elevator is too strong it's pretty easy to disconnect one of the two springs operating that however I find the tension for that pretty good. It does get heavy if you try to fly out of trim, so just like the real deal this encourages you to fly the aircraft in trim at all times. I wouldn't touch the aileron spring set up as mentioned earlier in case you upset it. The clicking I was getting was a real pain!!

I still have my old Saitek Yoke hooked up but inputs turned off. I find they don't usually interfere with the PFC in any case. So I use the throttle that came with the Saitek yoke plus a second unit so I can fly twins & PMDG B7's. A relatively cheap way to do it plus they have served me surprisingly well over the years.

Will probably eventually get a PFC throttle set up, but not while the Saitek's are still working & the AU$ is so low against the US$ (which was the case when I bought the yoke). Ended up costing me about AU$800.00. Luckily I had someone visiting the US at the time so they brought it back as luggage & saved me a further $400 in freight charges. But if it totally died somehow I would get another one. Once you have used one of these I couldn't see myself going back to Saitek or CH.

Cheers, Ross