Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Philips 40-Inch 4K Monitor. Pros & Cons?

Hi,

Thinking of 'investing' in a Philips BDM4065UC/00 UHD 40-Inch Monitor for FS9 & FSX. Does anyone actually have this? It gets great reviews on Amazon.

I would run FS with this as the main monitor. On a second monitor (HannsG 28") I'd run just maps and suchlike extras (FS Navigator in FS9). I guess my GPU would cope with the 40" monitor (3840x2860 res) and the 28" together (as I say, latter not used for any part of FS9/FSX themselves) - nVidia GTX970/4GB)?

Anyone see any disadvantages here? Or anything else I should consider before parting with the not insubstantial outlay? Is 40" too big for viewing at about arm's length?? (I am also thinking about watching movies on it, from .avi files etc.)

Thanks,

M.

I would be grateful for any feedback on the Philips BDM4065UC/00 as well.  However what I would like to do is run it with a custom resolution - ie reduced vertical resolution to provide a wider view than I currently get from my Samsung 32 inch 2560x1440 monitor but with a greater vertical height than I would get from one of the 3440x1440 monitors.  What I am hoping is that by doing this and having about a third fewer pixels compared to 4K that my 770 4gb would cope.  I currently get excellent performance with the samsung.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I purchased this monitor 2 weeks ago, replacing a TCL 40" 4K TV.  Being a dedicated monitor now running through a display port connection vs HDMI there has been a noticeable jump in picture quality.  I have a GTX760 4gb, using Windows 7Pro 64.  For work related things, MS Office, accounting software, CorelDraw X7, etc.. the greater sharpness and improved detail is very obvious. In FSX I turned down AA and run at 4K and it's very impressive. I haven't had much time to actually use FSX and I haven't installed P3D V3 yet although I have purchased it.  Some benefits, I can run 4K 60hz when the monitor is switched to Display Port 1.2 within it's menu. The TCL TV could only manage 30Hz.  Being a monitor it turns on automatically (it's the small things which count :)) when Windows boots unlike the TV which needed the remote to be switched on. It comes with dedicated software to calibrate and far more setting to customise.  One negative is no height adjustment so it sits propped up by two Nokia Lumia 925 boxes, lol.  Don't regret it at all and feel that as good as a 4K TV is (cheaper obviously) a good 4K monitor will always be better for a pc.

Edit: Under Nvidia Control panel, choosing the resolution, I initially chose 4K x 2K, 3840 x 2160 under the heading "Ultra HD, HD, SD", not realising there were more options below under "PC" 3840 x 2160 (native) which is the best option.

I also sit with the monitor about 90cm from my eyes, I'm not blind but do need reading glasses for small text however don't need them when "flying"  :)

Overstock has this unit for sale under $800, might wait for Black Friday or Christmas sales, but reviews are looking great. I currently have three 28" 1080p Monitors, and I think I would rather have 1 monitor with the 4k Res, after reading all the reviews of simmers that made the jump to 4K...

Here in Oz I bought it for around AUD$1,050 which is approx. US$780

Its a very good monitor.

I've had mine for about 6 weeks . I bought it sight unseen,  based on reviews in different fora.

I run it with a GTX 980 Ti .and run it at its PC native ,4K resolution,  similar to YMMB

I sit one and a half arms length from it.

I'm not sure if your 970 GTX card would manage to give you good fps , running the Philips and a second smaller monitor . 

Color reproduction is beautiful, there is no lag running flight sims , Xplane at night looks terrific especially at dusk and dawn. , as does P3d 2.5 in daytime . The images are very sharp.  

Its a great buy .

Whilst I cannot afford it  , if i had the money I would buy a second to produce a giant screen .

I'm not sure if your 970 GTX card would manage to give you good fps , running the Philips and a second smaller monitor .
Not sure, maybe - but if YMMB gets great results with a GTX760, the 970 should run it fine, no? The second monitor should make little difference if it is only running FSNavigator or the like (that info gleaned from other forums: certainly disconnecting my second monitor with FSNav at the moment makes no difference to the fps at all - sits at my max of 60fps mostly and rarely under 30fps).

That said, the resolution of this 40" monitor is pretty massive, so any further info welcome!

Is there a picture quality difference between a standard LCD monitor and a 4K monitor when it comes to FSX or P3D as these games were not designed to be run on a 4K device ?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Is there a picture quality difference between a standard LCD monitor and a 4K monitor when it comes to FSX or P3D as these games were not designed to be run on a 4K device ?

Doesn't matter if they were designed for it or not. A 4K monitor runs at 4096 x 2160, so if you define higher resolution as better picture quality, clearly that's better than 1080P at 1920 X 1080.

Frame rate is the issue I would say.

Doesn't matter if they were designed for it or not. A 4K monitor runs at 4096 x 2160, so if you define higher resolution as better picture quality, clearly that's better than 1080P at 1920 X 1080.

Frame rate is the issue I would say.

Ok got it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000