Sign in to follow this  
trebor737

FSUIPC Flight Control Settings

Hi,

As the title says, I am after some advice on setting up FSUIPC settings for the flight controls to make them as realistic as possible.

I have been playing round for awhile trying to find the perfect set up but i am struggling, I either get them too sensitive or the told opposite!

I am mainly trying to adjust with the slope figure, so any advice would be wonderful and I would try them out.

Cheers

Rob

One thing I have done Rob is to adjust the axis calibration curve so that movement of my joystick moves the stick or yoke in the plane in a linear fashion. If you set your view in the VC with default straight slope and move your stick/yoke all the way to one side (aileron), you will see that the movement in the vc (and thus the control surfaces) starts out slowly and speeds up as you deflect the joystick. This makes the aircraft slow to roll at low AOB and more unstable at high AOB. The controls are effectively more sensitive to the edges of the joystick travel.

With my Thrustmaster joystick, a -6 slope makes the VC control move at the same rate as my real joystick across the whole range of motion.

Hope this helps, it sure has made my hand flying better and I feel more accurate.

Throttle and pitch do not seem to have this exaggerated sensitivity although, a little "+" slope on pitch will help steady a pitch happy model.

I'd agree with Henry. Linear is more realistic. All aircraft I've worked on full flight simulators for have predominantly linear input v. surface position plots (though in many cases the max surface deflection up and down is different). FSX addons don't usually model that difference.

I can't think of any good reason why any primary flight control input should not be calibrated in a linear fashion so that max controller deflection represents max surface deflection. Some small deadband may be necessary as neutral and at full deflection just to avoid noise problems. The speedbrake lever might need a larger deadband to represent the arming position.

For the basic column, wheel and pedals I'm not sure what advantage there is in using FSUIPC calibration curves, unless it's to avoid the lags in the FSX calibration system (called "sensitivity" in FSX but it isn't that at all). You might as well use FSX default linear calibration and deadband.

Making the VC controls move the same amount as your controller is not the issue. That's just an animation (and it's often wrong). The important relationship is between your controller hardware position and the simulator control surface position.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Indeed, the same slope calibration method could be used with an external view in the same manner as the VC.

Regards FSUIPC, there are several significant advantages to using FSUIPC instead of the default FSX. But that is another thread.

Suffice to say, I have controllers disabled in FSX and P3D and only use FSUIPC for button assignment, LUA code assignment, axes assignment and calibration.

Curves have been a long debate as to how best to simulate stick control and airframe response.

It can go from the extreme F-16 fly by wire unmovable push sensor stick to the other side of WWII planes at high speed whose rudders and ailerons could barely move.

Add to that the phisical issue of real sticks with long shafts and game joysticks without any and thus the problem of controlling the plane.

And...there are times that we want the controls to be as steady as possible for instances like close formation or aerial refuelling in which case the bigger the curve the easier it gets.

Now there is the difference between airplanes and helicopters and special cases like the Mig-21 which responds differently in the pitch and in the roll axis.

In short...

It all depends on: the airframe, the equipment, personal taste as for realistic vs comfortable, personal capabilities, experience, flight profile, simulator.

There are those who even slope a throttle (which is a big no no) for ease of aerial refueling.

As a Warthog user I solved it, partially, with a 10cm extension and pedals that come with a physical profile.

More than that...if a certain plane has very special characteristics I shall adapt my settings as needed (eg P-51, Mig 21, C172, B200 or an airliner).

And, if I happen to go on a two hour formation flying i shall not fear to slope my stick till it cries for help.

In my opinion the FSUIPC slope capabilities is a huge blessing and one of the major reasons for why should have it.

It all depends on: the airframe, the equipment, ....

As a Warthog user I solved it, partially, with a 10cm extension and pedals that come with a physical profile.

True that, for sims with complex external flight models like the Superbug, I set to what VRS recommends and no slope adjustment.

Been seriously considering the extension as well....

Curves have been a long debate as to how best to simulate stick control and airframe response.

It can go from the extreme F-16 fly by wire unmovable push sensor stick to the other side of WWII planes at high speed whose rudders and ailerons could barely move.

Add to that the phisical issue of real sticks with long shafts and game joysticks without any and thus the problem of controlling the plane.

And...there are times that we want the controls to be as steady as possible for instances like close formation or aerial refuelling in which case the bigger the curve the easier it gets.

Now there is the difference between airplanes and helicopters and special cases like the Mig-21 which responds differently in the pitch and in the roll axis.

In short...

It all depends on: the airframe, the equipment, personal taste as for realistic vs comfortable, personal capabilities, experience, flight profile, simulator.

There are those who even slope a throttle (which is a big no no) for ease of aerial refueling.

More than that...if a certain plane has very special characteristics I shall adapt my settings as needed (eg P-51, Mig 21, C172, B200 or an airliner).

And, if I happen to go on a two hour formation flying i shall not fear to slope my stick till it cries for help.

In my opinion the FSUIPC slope capabilities is a huge blessing and one of the major reasons for why should have it.

The airframe response simulation should be in the AIR file, not the controls calibration. As for the MiG-21 again the AIR file should be able to create the difference between pitch and roll responsiveness. The F-16 is a unique case, but as you will no doubt know there is a rigid force sensitive stick available which can nearly replicate that. However it is not in any way wrong to use a normal spring loaded joystick to control an F-16 sim and anyone who tries to make their stick give full control movement over a very small range is getting it very wrong indeed.

ki9cAAb.jpg