Sign in to follow this  
Pineapple Pete

Confused getting started

HI All,

I am staggering around trying to get going in X-Plane 10. My first dilemma lies in setting up the joystick etc. It does not appear possible to have dedicated key and button assignments on a per plane basis. Is it possible to have a key file (set up) for individual aircraft?

Please forgive me if I have posted this incorrectly. I throw myself on the mercy of those who have more time to enjoy (emphasis on enjoy) this great hobby more than I do.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve, welcome to Avsim and X-Plane

X-Plane by default doesn't support per-aircraft control settings, however there is a free plugin which will do it for you here: XAssign

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of others using it.

Xassign is wonderful.  It lets you have up to three presets per aircraft, as well as setting up global presets if you wish.  In addition, if you don't have global presets set up, it's simply carries over the last preset that was loaded, making it easy to quickly setup similar presets without having to start from scratch each time.

For me, it's an absolutely essential utility.  I have quite a bit of hardware (PFC C2 Console, Saitek x55, Saitek TPM) that I set up depending on the type of controls in any given aircraft.  If you only had one control setup, it wouldn't be as required of course.

You'll also find that X-Plane is quite in-depth in terms of what's accessible to set via buttons / switches, with lots of functionality for most things (toggle, switch on/off, steps, all on/off). It can take awhile to find the exact command that you're looking to map to a switch, but that's because there's so much there.

Oh, and welcome to Avsim!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Dear tonywob Jimmy RFR. Thanks for the info. Xassign sounds like the ticket. I am very unlearned when it comes to working with files but I will give it a go. Thanks again.

Steve

It's not too difficult.  X-Plane is very easy to learn when it comes to installing stuff.  In this case (and most others) it's just a matter of copying a folder into it's proper location.

If I recall correctly, the instructions that come with Xassign do a very good job of instructing you on the installation, as well as the operation.

If you need help though, don't hesitate to ask!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Well I downloaded Xassign and winzip is trying to unzip to a location other than what I think it should. I guess I need help on extracting the download to a location from where I can move it to the proper destination. Any advice on how to unzip files so that i can move them would be great. Sorry to be so dumb but I don't have a lot of knowledge with such things.

Regards

Well I downloaded Xassign and winzip is trying to unzip to a location other than what I think it should. I guess I need help on extracting the download to a location from where I can move it to the proper destination. Any advice on how to unzip files so that i can move them would be great. Sorry to be so dumb but I don't have a lot of knowledge with such things.

Regards

Not at all Pete, unzip the folder using a free zip program like 7-zip or PeaZip or the like-  to any location really, then you just copy and paste the X-Assign unzipped folder to your X-plane/Resources?PlugIns folder...that is that, it is installed. Next time you start X-Plane, go to the PlugIns menu, select X-Assign and save the control configuration for the aircraft you are in. Presto, you are done