Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Airbus or Boeing ?

Looking for a complex full featured airliner and cannot decide between PMDG 777 or the Aerosoft Airbus bundle. 

One question for those that have the Aerosoft series does it have auto throttle like Boeing?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Guest JustanotherPilot

Yes it does

Both are great but PMDG is superior in every possible way. 

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Looking for a complex full featured airliner and cannot decide between PMDG 777 or the Aerosoft Airbus bundle. 

One question for those that have the Aerosoft series does it have auto throttle like Boeing?

Hi Paul,

Both are very good products but the developers use different philosophies. PMDG is a systems simulator, whereas Aerosoft simulates only the normal operation of the aircraft, no failures.

Having said that, both aircraft offer plenty: FBW simulation, proper programming of FMC/MCDU, etc.

The Aerosoft product is lighter in resources than the PMDG for obvious reasons but they are both well worth considering.

Also notice these are two aircraft of a rather different purpose, so it is not easy to compare.

If you are going to make realistic short/medium-haul pax flights, A32X would be the better option just because of that.

If, on the other hand, you plan/enjoy carrying freight or flying long/ultra-long-haul, then of course 777 is the choice.

Additionally, as suggested earlier, the level of complexity is a bit different.

If you are a hard core all-systems-simulated/emergencies-included type of simmer, the 777 is and the A32X is not a good choice.

If, however, you only want to simulate the captain's normal flight procedures, the A32X is fine enough.

If you are also hard core on hardware controllers, and just have a joystick, no yoke, the A32X would be a better choice.

Pricing also may count for you. PMDG is much more expensive, so take it into consideration.

As for extra addons created for the above aircraft, the situation is similarly good. You have:

- FS2Crew for both (great stuff)

- Virtual CDU for both (great stuff)

- immersion packages for both (I guess, I do not own these)

Rafael makes a good point about these aircraft being used for a different purpose. The PMDG 737 and Airbus A319/320 is a better comparison in that they have similar mission profiles. So, decide what kind of flying you are going to do. That being said, there are plenty of folks that make short hops in the 777.

One thing to consider if you have a strict budget: the Aerosoft A320/321 package is around $40 USD and A318/319 package costs the same (however, if you buy both packages you pay around $60 USD - not bad for 4 models). This is less than the amount you will pay for just the PMDG 777-200/F base package, which costs $90 USD. The -300 expansion is extra. If you go with the PMDG 737-800/900 base package, you will pay $70 USD. To add the -600/700 package you will have to pay $30 USD extra.

All are priced fairly, by the way.

One thing to also consider - if you ever move to P3D you will need to purchase separate PMDG licenses, which cost more than the FSX licenses. Whereas, if you buy the Aerosoft products, the licenses are good for both FSX and P3D.

So, a lot to think about. But you have very good choices, as these are all quality addons.

Regards,

Todd

I see the Airbus bundle on sale for 47 bucks so this is now a no  brainer.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I see the Airbus bundle on sale for 47 bucks so this is now a no  brainer.

Hey Paul, you can't go wrong with the Aerosoft Airbus, and at that price, it is a true no-brainer!  I find it an excellent addon in every respect.

The built in co-pilot feature is one its best features, and completely helped me transition from Boeing logic to Airbus.  For years I wanted to learn the Airbus, but was kinda' lazy and never set down to get into it.  This feature will walk you through the checklists, and if desired, do them for you as you listen to (and get familiar with) the flows if you've grown up on Boeings like I did and find the Airbus logic alien to your brain waves, LOL.

In my honest opinion, you need both of these wonderful packages, as the 777 has the legs to take you anywhere in the world whereas the Airbus 318/19/20 is really built for trans-continental routes (But They are developing the A330, which will solve that) .  And with PMDGs brilliant auto time compression feature that allows you to fly those long trans-Atlantic/Pacific/whatever flights in a fraction of the time, it is one of my all-time favorites (not to mention that its systems fidelity is second to none).  Plus your signature graphic obliges you to have the 777 in your hangar.  :smile:

If you like hauling freight and eventually purchase the 777, check the link in my sig as I've painted a bunch of 777 freighters that keeps me busy hauling freight to all parts of the world.  :Big Grin:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

This might be a trite question but does either have variable lighting controls? I am used to the FF 757 in X-Plane where all the lighting is variable and every light switch and knob works per real plane. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

When it comes to Airbus Shorthauls i would rather wait for the FSLabs A32X Series.......because the Aerosoft A32X has some innacuracies when concerning with the visual model. Most visible of these would be a obvious lack of wingflex which is seen in this picture. 11---No-Wing-Flex.jpg

Swapnil Sirdeshpande

i got the Aerosoft bundle on sale but cannot get the autopilot to work..what is the trick?

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

what is the trick?

Reading the manual.

Tried that and found I might not live that long. I asked a simple question and really hoped for a civil answer instead of the stock RTFM routine. 

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Try the tutorial flight in one of the manuals from aerosoft. It took me maybe 3h over all to figure out how to program FMC and to enable autopilot.

Also when you push the dials (speed, ALT & HDG) and you see a point next to it, it means that the FMC is controlling the autopilot. When you pull (right mouse) the dials, it means that the autopilot flies the HDG, speed or ALT you manually put in.

Both are great but PMDG is superior in every possible way. 

Sorry - that's not correct.  Aerosoft Airbus is superior in a number of areas:  multi crew, access MCDU from a web browser, automated checklists, just to name a few.  

Edited by Matt Webb

Matt Webb