Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Avro Vulcan final UK tour - 10 & 11 October 2015

The Avro Vulcan was designed and built in the late 1950s as one of three V bombers forming part of the UK's nuclear deterrent.

There is only one left airworthy and because of the difficulty of maintaining her this weekend is the last time she takes to the skies.

Today I was at the former Woodford Aerodrome in Cheshire, England where the Vulcan was built as she performed two circuits as part of the Northern England tour. Tomorrow she visits several airfields in southern England.

Another part of our aviation heritage lost. :sad:

VulcanBankingLeft2.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Just for your info, the Vulnerable site is suggesting more flights during this month!

Thanks for posting

Phil

Auto correct kicks in again, that should obviously have read Vulcan site!

Well that would be wonderful Phil. Hopefully another visit to Woodford. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Two more flights apparently, towards the end of October. I would love to see XH558 make a low flypast around Hoad Monument (which stands above my home town of Ulverston) and out across Morecambe Bay....

http://heritagephotoarchive.co.uk/img/s1/v19/p502766137-3.jpg

https://jonsphotopage.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/c1.jpg

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Chris do you know where the flights are planned to take place?

Unfortunately not, but I will keep an eye out for any news.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Interesting report on BBC News today. The reason the Vulcan is ending its flights is not financial. It's because of the lack of technical knowledge in maintaining her. Over 50 years since she first flew so that's understandable.

But she will remain capable of taxiing wherever she ends up. Hopefully the expertise can be passed to younger people to keep her flying. If they can drag themselves away from X-Boxes, iPads and smart phones. :sad:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

And FlightSimulator , Ray .

Yet another aviation icon destined to become just another museum piece . Having seen them while they were ( still ) in active service ( but never worked on them ) , it's not something you easily forget whether that is the sight or sound . I assume that most people providing their expertise were doing so without being paid and since the Vulcan has been " retired " for some years most experts would be getting on a bit as well .

John

Hi John,

FS users pale into insignificance these days. Every youngster seems to have a smart phone and walks around with their head pointing down. Sad reflection of our times.

I suppose with anything that is technically advanced there is a limit to how long it can remain operational. Aircraft are different to steam trains for example as they can cause loss of life if they malfunction. But I'm pleased to have seen the Vulcan fly as I was with Concorde.

Better to have had them and lost them than never to have had them at all.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would assume that XH558 will remain at Doncaster Sheffield Airport.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi John,

FS users pale into insignificance these days. Every youngster seems to have a smart phone and walks around with their head pointing down. Sad reflection of our times.

I suppose with anything that is technically advanced there is a limit to how long it can remain operational. Aircraft are different to steam trains for example as they can cause loss of life if they malfunction. But I'm pleased to have seen the Vulcan fly as I was with Concorde.

Better to have had them and lost them than never to have had them at all.

As a young guy I'll say I'm usually on my phone but it's usually to look somthing up so it's no different than reading a book. I'm a self taught mechanic,self taught computer builder,pilot and, amateur archeologist. Technology isn't a bad thing as it fosters learning if used properly.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

David,

I've checked your age and you're much older than the people I'm talking about. Teenagers are the worst culprits. And unlike you who uses your phone to further your knowledge the younger generation seem addicted to social media. That is not healthy.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have never owned a mobile phone, and hardly ever used one :smile: 

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Hi John,

Ray, I was attending a flightsim club meeting at the West Vancouver Senior's Centre last Friday.  I got there a little early and while I sat for a coffee I counted no less than 30 male senior's (part of the "Fit Guys" club) sitting there in their red T-shirts all in conversation, not one of them had a cel phone in his hand!

It was so nice to see, I thought about how ironic it would have been to record a video and post it on my FaceBook page.  It really is a sad commentary on our world today.  BTW, I left them in peace and didn't record what I saw but I did leave with a smile on my face.  I wish more people put their phones and tablets down.

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

I have never owned a mobile phone, and hardly ever used one :smile:

They are definitely handy. I bought my first back in 2007 primarily so if the car broke down I could ring the AA. But in a recent survey the function young people used least on their phones is. .... the phone. :cray: Texting and social media dominates. God knows what they look at on the internet! Personally I think internet-capable phones should only be available to 18s and over.

Ray, I was attending a flightsim club meeting at the West Vancouver Senior's Centre last Friday.  I got there a little early and while I sat for a coffee I counted no less than 30 male senior's (part of the "Fit Guys" club) sitting there in their red T-shirts all in conversation, not one of them had a cel phone in his hand!

It was so nice to see, I thought about how ironic it would have been to record a video and post it on my FaceBook page.  It really is a sad commentary on our world today.  BTW, I left them in peace and didn't record what I saw but I did leave with a smile on my face.  I wish more people put their phones and tablets down.

Robert

You should have recorded it Robert and played it back to youngsters. They would be gob-smacked that so many people could engage in normal human activity and not rely on technology.

Punishing kids is so easy these days. The authorities have made beatings illegal but there's nothing to prevent you taking away their smartphones for a week. How they would hate that! :wink:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather