Sign in to follow this  
ashepherd316

World of ai problem p3d v3

I have noticed a problem with world of ai on p3d v3 there are no landing lights for the aircraft can anyone else confirm this thanks.

Alexander Shepherd

Some of the models have their own lightmaps. I have moved all those into the appropriate texture folder. Some might have fx files that go into the effects folder.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

This is confusing they lights all worked fine in fsx i can't find any effects or lightmaps in the woai folders 

Alexander Shepherd

WOAI was designed for FSX, and sooner or later with progress of P3Dv3+ - FSX only packages are just not gonna work as designed.  Unless WOAI gets updated.

P3Dv3 is after all a completely new system from FSX.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

WOAI was designed for FSX, and sooner or later with progress of P3Dv3+ - FSX only packages are just not gonna work as designed. Unless WOAI gets updated.

P3Dv3 is after all a completely new system from FSX.

WOAI is actually designed for FS9 and even the packages that are listed as for FSX still have FS9 formatted flight plans which leave it to thr user to convert them to FSX format.

I'm not sure the WOAI packs listed as for FSX even have FSX native models in them. I know they include higher definition 4096 textures but I think the models are still FS9 native, which will work in FSX or P3D but can cause some anomalies.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I installed the aircraft to a seperate temp folder, then moved thigs to where they go manually. You can't do it automatically in P3D because the folders are a different structure than FS9 and FSX. It's slow, but it is the only way.

Lee H

Yeh i did it all manually i installed them all in fsx first then moved all the folders to p3d v3 i put the airplane folders in the airplane bit and the traffic files in the scenery bit in world scenery is that right do i need to bring the lights from fsx aswell that are in the effects folder.

Alexander Shepherd

There's the odd texture here and there with some of the models, check that folder too. Once in, it all works really well. You must get AIFP and convert all the traffic bgl files to proper FSX format, works even better.

Lee H

You will have to manually add landing lights to WOAI models to work in P3Dv3.  Even then they might not work or operate correctly (think strobes). Just moving "light" .fx files that worked correctly in FSX or even P3Dv2 do not look the same in v3 from my experience.

Options are:

1.  Wait to see if LM sends an updateto have lights look like they did in v2.5.  Doubt if this will happen.

2. Use lights from some some of the default P3Dv3 aircraft that have lighting to your liking.  (haven't come across any myself yet that I like).

3. Tweak lighting .fx files for your own personal use.

4.  Create your own lighting .fx files from scratch.

In the past I have had success in methods #2 and #3 so that's what I plan to do... some day, ha!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

I have replaced a lot of the FS9 models that come in WOAI packages with FSX versions from FAIB and Aardvark and others. It makes a difference in P3D.

Lee H