Sign in to follow this  
airernie

Clouds when not in METAR

I was flying into KIND on VATSIM tonight using ASN, set to live weather  The METAR called for 10SM FEW200, yet at 3000' AGL I'm running into clouds.

I checked with the VATSIM controller and his METAR was identical to mine, so he was a bit surprised when I stated that I couldn't see the airport due to cloud coverage.

I then tried FSGRW and there were no clouds at 3000', so is this perhaps something in the way I have ASN setup?

Ernest Pergrem

Hi,

I'm assuming that at 3000ft AGL, perhaps 10 miles away, there were clouds on approach but not directly over IND.  What were the conditions at surrounding airports?  Did you have a flight plan loaded?

Did you check the METAR string for KIND as reported from ASN?  

Discrepancies are pretty rare, but we'll investigate with some more info including date/time (GMT) and METAR text.  Remember that ASN wx is not global, station reports apply only to that station, and you must have a flight plan loaded to ensure your intended station(s) get priority vs other stations that may co-exist in a given cell.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian,

I'll need to gather some of the information.

For now, the VATSIM METAR agreed with the one for ASN, so it appears that we were using identical data.

There was a flight plan in the FMC, but I dont' think that I had loaded one in ASN; most likely not since it wasn't construct in FSX.

Thanks for responding.. I'll dig up some more stuff and get back to you.

Ernest Pergrem

Damian

I've tried to repeat the flight conditions without any success, so I'll have to put the issue on the 'see if it happens again in the future' list.

I do appreciate your offer of assistance.  First class support.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem