Sign in to follow this  
abasa12

ANZ2 / NZ2

ANZ2 / NZ2 in Pictures

okaOWTp.jpg

LO2SYtR.jpg

Our aircraft, ZK-OKR, had already flown in from Auckland, arriving an hour prior to our boarding of the aircraft at around 2045z (1245L). The inbound crew had maxed their hours, and were to be spending the night in Los Angeles. Upon our entry into the flight deck, I started off by reviewing the OFP sent to us by the dispatchers in Auckland. Our cruising altitude was to be FL310, though we would be up to FL350 by the time we reached the Atlantic. The route was to be something of a straight shot from Los Angeles. After departing via the LOOP7 departure, our flight plan took us northeast to Las Vegas, before altering heading east, flying just south of Denver and Omaha, overflying Chicago, and passing just north of Toronto and Montreal. After passing the MIILS intersection in New Brunswick, we were to fly over Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, heading direct for ELSIR, the entry to NAT X tonight, which we would be flying across the Atlantic. From there, we would be turning southeast to head for BEDEK, the final filed waypoint in the flightplan, and the first intersection in the OCK2F STAR into London. Taking a quick look at the forecast, it seemed we would be landing on the 27s, presumably 27L. 

ggyIDsi.jpg

XrDElAV.jpg

As my FO and I began our pre-flight flows, I inputted the flight data into the FMC, just as the departure gate was opened and the new passengers joining us started boarding. We were carrying a full load of 69,870 kg, and would be departing with just over 83,600 kg of fuel. I recorded the ATIS, and completed the FMC setup. Active runways for departure were 24L and 25R, and the temperature was sitting at 18°C. I got our clearance to Heathrow (t'was to be 24L for takeoff), and set up the MCP for the departure. Initial altitude was 5000', and according to the charts, we were to be maintaining our runway heading of 250° until instructed to turn left to overfly the airport. With no winds, we would be going with flaps 5, on a full thrust takeoff. We were quite heavy, so V2 was resting at 187kts.

0WjUpM5.jpg

After finishing the checklists and making the PA, we were ready for pushback. We switched on the service interphone and contacted the ground crew. At 3 minutes past the hour (0003z), we began the push onto D10, the cabin crew arming the slides as we started to move.

RzissHr.jpg

After disconnecting the tow bar, the ground crew gave us the go-ahead, and my FO started the engines. The flaps were slowly lowered, and we started our before taxi procedures. I put the controls through their full motion and set the trim for takeoff, while the FO completed things on the right side. With that, we were ready to go. We contacted ground, and they cleared us for the short taxi to the threshold of 24L. With that, we checked right and left, switched the taxi and turnoff lights on, released the parking brake, and away we went, slowly toying the GE90s forward just before 0027z (1627L), only ten minutes behind schedule. It was indeed a quick taxi, with the call from the cabin and the before takeoff checklist all within three or so minutes of beginning the taxi.

DGHNAiV.jpg

We reached the holding point at taxiway V, and were handed over to tower for the departure. We were told to line up and wait, a Delta 777-200LR on a long haul of its own exiting 24R and crossing L.

4mYaVky.jpg

m395mQW.jpg

Once it had passed, we got the message we were waiting for: "New Zealand 2 heavy, you're cleared for takeoff, 24L." About ten seconds later, I called for takeoff, and away we went. I let the engines stabilize at 55% N1, before clicking TO/GA and hearing the two rockets roar to life. Even with our weight, we accelerated quickly, rocketing down 24L, though the high rotate speed made for a long ground roll. Finally, with the end of the runway fast approaching, my FO called for rotation, and we slowly nudged the control columns backwards, the nose rising and the wheels easing off the runway at 0036z (1636L).

yuzagk7.jpg

We gained altitude slowly, but as I eased the control column back farther, we started to climb faster and faster and faster.

SjZFpkn.jpg

We got the call from tower to switch to departure, and so we did, wishing them a good evening as we kept the aircraft flying 250° and climbing. Departure kept us on the heading, but cleared us up to 13,000 feet. Eventually, with the winter evening light to the west, they cleared us left direct LAX, and so we turned, the light casting a brilliant glow throughout the cockpit.

2NVXMgw.jpg

9lXKQHc.jpg

Soon, we were over to center, who cleared us up to our cruising altitude of FL310 as we overflew the airport, headed for London.

aeQsA07.jpg

The sun was setting behind us, and the last light soon faded away, only the lights of the cockpit and those of cities below for breaks in the darkness.

ltfeQt9.jpg

EHZkfJq.jpg

We were soon past over to Denver Center, who handled us through their airspace. We flew through several other FIRs as we cruised on through the darkness at FL310, then FL330, then FL350. We overflew Chicago and Montreal, passing nearby other major cities as we continued our flight.

aNsslVM.jpg(overflying Vegas at FL310)

OugLPYP.jpg

xzdVf59.jpg

Finally, we were over Newfoundland, and it was time to set up for the Atlantic crossing. We got our clearance across NAT X via CPLDC, and soon we were over ELSIR, just northeast of St John's. We were set up for ETOPS 180, and should there come to be an issue over the ocean, we would be diverting to either Gander or Shannon, with the St. John's weather being well too far below minima for use as an alternate.

EUdjFYd.jpg

The crossing across the Atlantic was actually pretty quick, what with 100+ knot tailwinds most of the way. We uneventfully passed our ETP somewhere west of 30W, and continued on through the night at FL350. It wasn't until we were approaching the exit for NAT X, well within range of Shannon, that we saw the first signs of dawn on the horizon. It started off with an orange tinge to the southeast, but soon came to paint the scene with morning light.

or9i08o.jpg

It was in this light that we ended up having to apply a vivacious offset to avoid some thunderstorms which had quickly developed our past. Shortly thereafter, we flew over the Irish coastline, marking our first landfall since Newfoundland.

ZMcRyG6.jpg

rVsO9Ua.jpg

We continued across Ireland as the sun rose, with the sky an azure blue by the time we had crossed into the United Kingdom. We contacted London Center, completed our descent briefing and checks, and began our descent approximately 30 minutes prior to our ETD.

4gQUYke.jpg

I made a PA to the passengers informing them of the weather and time in London shortly thereafter. We continued to descend, and with relatively light traffic, we were spared the infamous London holding patterns, and instead continued via Ockham to the ILS to 27L. Passing OCK, we had a nice view of the airport off to our left side, before we turned northeast as per the Ockham transition route.

lC5KBzk.jpg

Before long, we had passed transition altitude, completed the approach checklist, and lowered flaps one. We turned north on a base leg, overflying London as we made the left turn to line up with the runway.

Csaqfbi.jpg

The only traffic ahead was an Air France A319 on short final, though we didn't expect them to be a concern. As we intercepted the glideslope just west of the city, we extended the gear and lowered flaps 30. We flew through some scattered clouds, emerging into something of a broken overcast for our final approach.

wG3v5EZ.jpg

WGukAT3.jpg

I called for the landing checklist, and we ensured all was set for our landing. Just below 1,000', I disengaged the autopilot and autothrottle, and proceeded to manually fly the bird in. We ended up a bit awry in late final what with the high winds and some engine control troubles, but these were trifles, all things considered.

5Mfg4x2.jpg

yLlkKpn.jpg

It was a stellar approach, and we landed just down from the numbers, braking with reverse and spoilers before exiting on N6.

m48yLQ7.jpg

We retracted the flaps and spoilers, and began lumbering along taxiway A for taxiway L and, eventually, gate 242, as the cabin crew made the arrival PA.

qbUamUj.jpg

We slowly pulled into the gate and set the parking brake at 0939z (0939L), only fifteen minutes behind schedule. As the jetways began to move for their respective doors, and the cargo bay was opened to the ramp agents, as we finished up our shutdown checklists in the front and prepared for some much needed rest in a London hotel. 

CsWTRpg.jpg

• Upvote 4

Very nice details and screenshots!......love that!

HLJAMES

Superb!!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Excellent shots.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Love the whole commentary, the detailed charts and superb screenshots. Amazing as simmers we love to simulate as "real as it gets". Fabulous pics

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

Very nice details and screenshots!......love that!

HLJAMES

Thank you very much!

Superb!!!

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it :)

Lovely shots!

Thank you :)!

Excellent shots.

Thank you!!

Love the whole commentary, the detailed charts and superb screenshots. Amazing as simmers we love to simulate as "real as it gets". Fabulous pics

Thank you Imran! Glad you enjoyed it.

Wow, really good. Loads of work went into that, excellent

Thanks Elaine! Glad you liked it!

• Upvote 1