Sign in to follow this  
Cavemanhead

"Must Have" addons for P3D

Been out of active flight simulation for 8 years but I've been doing some lurking throughout that time so not completely clueless.  That said, I'm looking for "must have" addons for P3D to fully wring it out...  My interest is running as lean and mean as possible with as few addons as possible with an emphasis on preserving FPS.

Aircraft

When talking planes, I'm looking for a suite of planes that have very accurate (the best) flight models.  Looking for a good cross section of flight...including a helicopter.  Prefer most flights to be 30-90min.   Thinking the following:

A2A Cessna 182

RealAir Turbine Duke 2

PMDG 737

X-15 or SR-71 type aircraft...

Ground Scenery

For scenery, the general strategy is to use Orbx for most things though I understand the best combo is to use GEX and UTX (especially for night lighting which is VERY important to me) AND finally the Orbx stuff.  Geographically, I have an interest in the west coast, pacific northwest, Colorado Rockies.  I'd also like to explore the Appalachian chain (all the way south to Huntsville, AL where I live - KHSV).  International flight doesn't really interest me right now.  So...  Orbx seems to be a relatively good fit though I'd love to have a nice Denver and Atlanta Airport.

Sky

I'd like something to make the skies as good as they can get.  Assumption is REX4 Direct with soft clouds is the ticket.

For weather programs, REX Weather Architect seems like the most seamless easiest/simple way to implement with REX Direct textures but I'm open to other options.  Ideally, the weather program is smart enough to download real weather in realtime and then recreate it accurately.

Misc

FSUIPC - Not exactly sure what this does, but I understand it's a good thing to have.

EZDoc - understanding is that this is the best addon to make flying feel more real/immersive.

Please give me your thoughts on the list above and anything else I could be missing...

Poppet,

Yup, I'd looked at that one...  It did catch my eye...  The only thing that actually turned me off is that the real plane flies so well...  I'm sure it has a very accurate FM, and I don't just like a "hard" FM just for the sake of having it... i.e. I don't want a Cessna 182 that spins "easily"...  But...  I like a plane that is known to bite if it's flown without care...  So, the Comanche may be a good replacement for the 182 since it's "in family"...  Hmmm....   I do want a good high wing though so I can see more out the window :)  Maybe I'll have to get the 182 and the Comanche.

Majestic Q400, ASN, Soft Clouds. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Is ASN really that much better than REX Weather Architect?  Looking for some reviews on it...  Can I still use REX textures?

Yes, you can use REX textures with ASN.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

What about Accusim v2?  Does anyone use that...?  Looks like it has some overlap with EZdoc.

Accu-Feel v2  Shame%20On%20You.gif

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I second Active Sky and Aerosoft Airbus. Flightbeam and FlyTampa make excellent airports that are easy on the frames