Sign in to follow this  
k1fox

FSX Steam

Hey FS junkies,

I recently got back into FSX but I was using the older box edition and so this weekend I decided to get FSX steam during the sale. So far so good - been doing GA flying with a2a planes mostly and plan to fly slighly faster planes like the caravan and piston twins. Just wanted to know how your experiences has been with it so far and what kind of aircrafts/flights have you been flying and going on.

I used FSX MS for about 6 years. CTD all the time. Then I went to P3D for a year. CTD less often but it did happen in the end frequently. Then MS Flight from Steam. Stupid stable. 1500hrs and only 2 CTD in the beginning. I learned how Steam does there own debugging and fix things that need fixing for you. Next time you log on it updates and things are better automatically. When Steam started selling FSX I was all over it. Been flying it all year. Not one CTD yet. Even with a ton of addons. It even seems to run a bit smoother. Last day to get in on the Steam sale for FSX addons,

Moe

Another thumbs up for FSX:SE. Like Moe said, very stable. I'm happy with it. Been flying the Quality Wings 757 and BAe 146/Avro collection, and the FeelThere Embraer 170/190. All work flawlessly.

Just finally installed steam edition since it was on sale. Been away from the hobby for 9 years!! I miss FS9. I really think prior versions worked better in terms of autogen fade and other aspects but FSX:SE is working fine for what it is. I just dislike the autogen popping, it is ridiculous to see.

Anyhow I've so far installed ASN, REX texture direct, flight one's GTN 750 and the RealAir Duke V2. Solid performance so far.

Looking forward to adding the QW Dash 8 and PMDG NGX and MD-11 next.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Good to know everyone is ok with it too. The graphics seem slighly better and its smoother than regular FSX.

I love FSX-SE also - it has taken my sim experience to a whole new level. The only downside is that I have some favorite addons that will not work with SE. There seems to be a pretty steady trend to upgrade addons as necessary but it's a bit uneven - some developers are making a serious effort while others seem willing to ignore the issues altogether and don't even bother to reply to inquiries or requests...

I agree with all of the above. It feels like DTG finally got it out of Microsoft's beta...

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I love FSX-SE also - it has taken my sim experience to a whole new level. The only downside is that I have some favorite addons that will not work with SE. There seems to be a pretty steady trend to upgrade addons as necessary but it's a bit uneven - some developers are making a serious effort while others seem willing to ignore the issues altogether and don't even bother to reply to inquiries or requests...

There are FSX add ons that wont work with it? I thought once the registry entry was fine everything should install and work since its essentially the same simulator with some programming fixes

There are FSX add ons that wont work with it? I thought once the registry entry was fine everything should install and work since its essentially the same simulator with some programming fixes

The current version of FSLabs Concorde doesn't work, although they are promising an update. FS-Recorder does not work, although some people have gotten an older version, 1.3.3.1, to work.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

In some cases an addon will work but lack some features - for example, AFX works but the feature that allows you to view changes you are making to an AFD file in the sim itself, doesn't work. Or Aerosoft's Gibraltar works, but the amazing special effects that depict the road traffic that crosses the runway are missing, Flight Sim Commander doesn't interface with it etc...

In some cases, such as Helitraffic 2009, trying to use them crashes the sim. I don't want to scare you off - it is a small minority of addons...

FSX-SE, especially when enhanced with Orbyx, REX, ASN etc. is absolutely outstanding... You just may find yourself having to give up on a favorite addon - but what you gain far outweighs any losses. I have absolutely no regrets in switching to SE....

Flight Sim Commander doesn't interface with it etc...

Hi kiwiflyer45 and everyone,

FS Commander can be made to work with FSX:SE.  I have a dual install of Box & Steam and FSC is networked, so a few tricks are necessary, especially when rebuilding the database.

I think that FS Commander is probably easier to use if you only have FSX:SE installed, as in that case the folder names are the same as for the Box edition.

Please see this thread in the FSC Support Forum:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78750-fsx-steam-edition-fsc-interesting-solution-for-freaks/?hl=steam

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks Mike. When I have some time, I'll follow up on that. Appreciate the help

Ian