Sign in to follow this  
OSJJ1985

i7-4790k temps @ 4,5 GHz with Air cooler

Hey there,

So I finalized my PC upgrade and with the new cooler I thought I might try a bit of overclocking (i7-4790k). I used the standard 4,5 GHz settings from the ASRock Z97 BIOS and when running FSX-SE with some premium Add-Ons --> Aerosoft A320, FTX Global, ASN, EZdok, 50% Ultimate Traffic 2 settings (I'm using 50% UT2 just for testing since I switched to flying online, which would obviously give much less traffic).

Anyway to the actualy question.... my CPU stays steady between 60-70°C when running FSX. Are those temperatures safe considering FSX (or other software) might run for several hours?? Or do I have to tune down the overclock?

PS: IntelBurnTest went up to 80-90°C

I've been running that temperature range with my 4770K 4,5Ghz OC for over 3 years running air cooled and not delided.  This CPU has seen many h.264 encodes that have lasted over 6 hours running at those temps, and nearly countless hours of FSX. Zero performance issues thus far. But I'm suprised you're hitting those temps with a 4790K.  What sort of cooler are you using?  Also is this a "one button press" bios OC?  If so they are notorious for boosting cpu voltages to scary high values which cause temperature issues, and could definately shorten your CPU's life.  I run my OC using 1.21v, completely manual bios tuned.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

my CPU stays steady between 60-70°C when running FSX. Are those temperatures safe considering FSX (or other software) might run for several hours?? Or do I have to tune down the overclock?

PS: IntelBurnTest went up to 80-90°C

Your CPU temperature isn't an issue. Generally speaking, as long as it's below 80 degrees under load you are fine. 80 degrees is just a rule of thumb, but it's far enough away from Tj.Max to avoid premature degradation.

You don't say which air cooler you have, but if it where something like the NH-D15/15S you would undoubtedly see lower temps.

Steer clear of Intel Burn test! Unless there have been major updates I don't know about, it's not validated for newer CPU's. It's extremely likely to over stress some aspects of the CPU and under stress others. Stick to Aida 64 or something like Asus ROG RealBench.

One final point... how are you measuring CPU temp? Remember, there's a difference between core temp and CPU temp. CPU temp is measured from a sensor under the IHS. Core temp measures each core from within the die. You need to measure core temperature with the RealTemp or CoreTemp utilities.

Also is this a "one button press" bios OC?  If so they are notorious for boosting cpu voltages to scary high values which cause temperature issues, and could definately shorten your CPU's life.  I run my OC using 1.21v, completely manual bios tuned.

This is something that enthusiasts often claim. Sometimes it's true, often it's not. Asus auto rules are rather good these days for example. I don't know which motherboard make the OP is using, but for example, Asus 5 way optimisation is excellent. It even gives you the option to set a temperature limit for the overclock, a max voltage, or a max frequency. Lots of control.

So no, we shouldn't generalise and paint all auto overclocking utilities with the same brush. It's worth you mentioning though, just in case this is one of the auto overclock utilities that over does it a bit.

I'm using BeQuiet pure rock air cooler. I'm using the ASRock Z97 Extreme4 mainboard. With the Auto 4,5 GHz setting it sets it to 1,232 V. I'm using HWMonitor from CPUID to measure the Temps. But I just downloaded RealBench and see what it says.

RealBench results: Ok so I ran stressed via RealBench for abour 4 minutes just to see where the temps are going. It was around 65-70°C and peaked at 72°C so says HWMonitor. But I also have to consider the fact that it's the cold season. I can't obviously tell what the temps will read during the hot season.

I recall HW monitor does read core temperature as opposed to CPU temperature. The reading you're looking for should give you the temperatures of all of the cores. RealTemp is well worth your time downloading. Your CPU temp looks fine though.

Sounds like this is a generic easy overclock rather than a system tuned auto overclock. In which case it has to provide a voltage that will work for the majority of CPU's, thus it could be a tad higher voltage than required. Not an issue though.

The summer months will certainly see your temp higher. Although I don't foresee any issues for you unless you live somewhere ultra hot like Arizona or somewhere.

Your CPU cooler isn't anywhere near as efficient as a top of the range twin tower coolers. The NH-D15 would drop your CPU temp substantially. Something to consider perhaps when you can afford it. Given your enclosure is large enough to accommodate it.

FSX barely got above 60°C accoring to RealTemp and it idles at 30°C (the number showing in the traybar). And it's running at 1,212 V with the settings I currently got for 4,5 GHz. So I guess I can keep it this way and finally quit starring at the temps and stats. Eventually (perhaps when summer kicks in) I will get a high-end cooler, but since I just bought this one and when the temps seem ok I'll stick with this one for the time being. So to sum it up 60-70°C won't give me problems in the long run (even when running for several hours as I do look forward for some long-hauls on PMDG 777 when I get it)

FSX barely got above 60°C accoring to RealTemp and it idles at 30°C (the number showing in the traybar). And it's running at 1,212 V with the settings I currently got for 4,5 GHz. So I guess I can keep it this way and finally quit starring at the temps and stats.

Excellent! As mentioned...good to go.  A better cooler may allow a better OC, but it's not worth getting too wound up about IMO.

As it is currently, Intel Burn Test (IBT) is way out of date.  It is nothing more than a front end for the official Intel Linpack benchmark, which gets regularly updated and can be found here in its latest form:https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-math-kernel-library-linpack-download  The latest versions utilitize the hardware FMA instructions (which happen to be exactly the sort of stuff Linpack needs to go FAST, e.g. executes a BLAS as a single instruction).  Use this batch version at your own risk!  It superheats even more radically than IBT.  BTW Linpack is a sanctioned benchmark for gauging super computer performance, and has been for many years.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Good feedback as always. I am running the same CPU at between 70 and 80 C under full load of Prepar3D and ASN and have no issues with the temperature. 

Hans