Sign in to follow this  

If I have REX what will ASN give me?

Hi all, I am wondering what ASN will offer me as I already have rex, will it enhance the experience (work alongside) or am I effectively buying another weather engine? 

there are plenty of  posts about  this  already,   asn is  a weather  engine  whereas  rex  is  a texture  addon,  and  yes  they work perfectly  together.  If  you  have  rexe   which  has  a weather   engine  included   and  thinking of getting  asn    than simply   don't  run the rexe  weather  engine

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Depends also on the type of flying you plan on doing.

If you own the PMDG777 or 737 you can incorporate the weather onto the weather radar with ASN

• Upvote 1

Pete Little

ASN supposedly had better overall weather rendition. And as far as personal experience goes, it is good - but I have nothing other than stock real weather(when it still worked) to compare it against.

Thanks I just was not sure in the explanation of it all, this makes sense, il'll wait for now, seems a bit pricy for what would seem only the weather radar feature. 

Thanks I just was not sure in the explanation of it all, this makes sense, il'll wait for now, seems a bit pricy for what would seem only the weather radar feature. 

there are many differences in features besides just the radar. ASN is probably the best weather engine for fsx, they are the only ones who fully solved the problems of windshifts, sudden popping of clouds, and also add things like reducing visibility in overcast layers and when you intersect the locations of clouds, etc. anyway don't need to take other peoples word for it, there is a free demo version. try some approaches in bad weather and see if you like the difference, no worries either way

cheers

-andy crosby

Froggle's youtube review of ASN gives you a pretty good idea of what it does - I have REX weather, and FX Global real weather, but ASN gives me the best experience, and functionality. So now I use REX textures, and ASN, also REX soft clouds.

Eugene

I asked this very same question a few weeks back, and then went ahead and bought it. Haven't looked back since. It's probably one of the best FS add ons I've ever purchased. REX is fantastic for textures, but ASN blows it out of the water for weather depiction. Gone are the unrealistic high altitude wind shifts, gone are the unrealistic visibility layers - ever had that where as soon as you climb through a certain altitude the visibility all of a sudden clears and you can see as far as the horizon?! ASN very accurately simulates full IMC conditions. It is THE weather product to own for FSX/P3D, period!

• Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S