Sign in to follow this  

FlyTampa Corfu Ship Wake and wave adjustment for P3D V3.1

P3D V3.1 introduced a new SDK FX item called "Ground Decal" (Ground Decal = 1) ... this should be used in most situations where an existing FX uses "Ground Normal" (3rd party ship wakes and/or wave files).  You can apply the Ground Decal = 1 to any other FX that uses Ground Normal ... for example any existing 3rd party product that has not been updated to include the new P3D V3.1 FX option. 

Here is a video I made to demonstrate what these files fix:

As always, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for tip Rob, I'll look into this.

The video certainly makes it look like a worthwhile addition.

cheers

Ian

Ian S

38.jpg

Pete, just download Rob's folder and you'll find complete instructions ;-)

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thanks David.

I mistook the folder for being the video that Rob normally uploads. Should have opened my eyes :p0504:

Cheers

Pete

40282618105572517s.jpg

Hi, this happens only with FT Corfu or it is general?.

Cheers,

Edward

Pete, just download Rob's folder and you'll find complete instructions ;-)

Oh David, that bug came into my computer!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Hi, this happens only with FT Corfu or it is general?.

It will happen with any 3rd party product that has their own custom FX that uses Ground Normal (in most cases this will be waves and ship wakes) ... so you can either wait for 3rd party to update (I'm guessing many will not) or do the updates yourself ... just locate all FX files that use Ground Normal and add the Ground Decal = 1 entry.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: all the P3D default ships will have this "fix" already IF you did a FULL install or IF you included the Content install when updating.

I wrote a small utility that will scan the folder and add the Ground Decal=1 if the Ground Normal=1 entry exists. It can 'scan', 'apply' or 'remove' the fix.

I don't know if this is what you mean Rob, but if it is, you can use the utility which i provide here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2weoelil6pcas2/ChangeFX.exe?dl=0

Put it in P3D\Effects and run it through a command prompt (admin might be required). It will show you instructions on screen. Hope it helps.

NOTE: Although i have tested it and it does its job, always ALWAYS backup your files prior to editing them.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

wrote a small utility that will scan the folder and add the Ground Decal=1 if the Ground Normal=1 entry exists. It can 'scan', 'apply' or 'remove' the fix.

Excellent, many thanks!  I'll check it out ... probably also needs to scan any drive and sub-dirs as FX files in P3D can technically be located anywhere now, not just in the Effects folder.

Cheers, Rob.

Excellent, many thanks!  I'll check it out ... probably also needs to scan any drive and sub-dirs as FX files in P3D can technically be located anywhere now, not just in the Effects folder.

Cheers, Rob.

I can adapt it, right now it only scans the folder it's in.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I wrote a small utility that will scan the folder and add the Ground Decal=1 if the Ground Normal=1 entry exists. It can 'scan', 'apply' or 'remove' the fix.

I have scaned the "effects" folder and there are also light effects, airport effects and other files that appear to require the fix. Although they have the "ground normal entry", I am not sure how these files are related to decal. The SDK states: "If ground decal is set to 1 the particle will decal on to the ground surface. This is for such effects as wake, rotor wash, burn marks, and similar ground effects." So is safe to apply the fix really to ALL effect files within the effects folder?

Cheers,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Yeah that's my doubt as well... I did apply to all my effects, everything seems to be working fine, but i think you have a point there.

If Rob could help us out here, would be nice.

It will happen with any 3rd party product that has their own custom FX that uses Ground Normal (in most cases this will be waves and ship wakes) ... so you can either wait for 3rd party to update (I'm guessing many will not) or do the updates yourself ... just locate all FX files that use Ground Normal and add the Ground Decal = 1 entry.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: all the P3D default ships will have this "fix" already IF you did a FULL install or IF you included the Content install when updating.

Thanks, clear enough.

Cheers,

Edward

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

If Rob could help us out here, would be nice.

I believe it will depend on the surface ... if the ground surface is uneven it should actually work better (good example is when landing lights traverse uneven terrain you can see clipping, Ground Decal might actually fix that) ... but FX can sometimes be a "mystery" on how they work/interact  my dealings with them often end up being trial and error (due to some hard coded processing).

I haven't tested but you might want to try and see if you can get landing lights to follow terrain without clipping (probably not since I think we're back to hard coded processing with landing lights).

Cheers, Rob.

Thank you Rob, cheers!