Sign in to follow this  
trucker17

2nd Annual Tom Allensworth Memorial Flight - Date ~ APR 16 (TBD)

Well, everyone.  It's that time... AVSIM Member trucker17 is setting up the Second Annual Memorial Flight to honor our friend, Tom Allensworth, and the legacy he left for the world to enjoy many years to come.  Last year's flight was a little rushed, and not many were able to make the flight.  This year the hopes are to get a set route that everyone can agree upon, and a time when everyone can join in.  

We need a few things to make the flight memorable:  video, the main thing, a TeamSpeak connection for communications, and someone to take screenshots of everyone in the flight from the start to the end.  Most importantly, we need a coordinator to oversee the completion of these processes. 

So here is where you can suggest a route.  The final destination will be his home airport, Charlottesville Albemarle Airport (CHO) in CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA.  Also, here is where you can suggest a time and date for the flight.  Tom Allensworth passed on April 4th.   So I would like a date near this day for the flight.  Last year we also had a variety of aircraft.   Some were high performance WWII aircraft.  We will have a variety of aircraft that can fly again.  Only thing I would like to see is that any aircraft planning to fly into the KCHO airport be able to land safely.

As suggestions are made we will take all of them into consideration and post a list of the final 3 airports which you the pilots will choose.

The destination airport will be: The Charlottesville Albemarle Airport (CHO) in CHARLOTTESVILLE VA. Coordinates: 38° 8′ 19.1″ N, 78° 27′ 10.3″ W

KCHO

Flight duration will depend on the suggestions given for starting points.  Landings will be anytime after you arrive at CHO.   So feel free to do flyby's,  but please do not get in the way of aircraft landing or taking off.

The date and time of the flight will also be one of the suggested date and times.  My suggestions are:

•  Oshkosh - Wittman Regional Airport
  •  11AM EST on April 9th, 2016

Join in the planning and conversation by leaving a message in the Forum Topic.

Edited by Chase Kreznor
Added Details
  • Upvote 1

Don't have the Orbx Oshkosh.Would like to participate in my A2A Commanche 150.

• Upvote 1

Will this memorial flight be online ? Is this going to be on ivao/vatsim ? Or some other network perhaps ?

Have not participated in one of these activities before. Is there a tutorial/video showing how to establish the necessary links?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Have not participated in one of these activities before. Is there a tutorial/video showing how to establish the necessary links?

Their is no tutorial or videos available for this that i know of. But most who do fly online can walk you through the process. Maybe one of our members here will write out the way to get connected.

I did for the first time last year, but with everything that has happened this last year, i lost all my information that i had saved.

Craig.

Don't have the Orbx Oshkosh.Would like to participate in my A2A Commanche 150.

You do not need ORBX or any other addon scenery for this flight. and all aircraft are welcome to join in.

I dont know what others are using for OSHKOSH, but here is a link for the freeware scenery i use.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/7013/fsx-oshkosh-air-show-scenery/

If anyone else has other OSKOSH sceneries that they use, feel free to share here.

I'd like to join. I'm running FSX-SE, hopefully it won't be a problem.

Better to do it on VATSIM or IVAO, so everyone can participate.

Cheers :)

N.-

Don't have VATSIM, et al. Is it a pre-requisite that must have that?

No it is not.

Ok. I planned and flew my suggested route and the distance is 575 miles. The time i did not check as their will be so many different aircraft that can participate in the flight.

Can anyone provide a guide, or a link to a tutorial, on how new users can participate?  I know for a newcomer to online flying, the setup can be intimidating, even though it's rather straight forward once you get into it.

Brilliant suggestion Chase. Fully endorse it. As someone who'd like to remember our Founder by being part of this fly-in, I'm keen to learn how to achieve this.

I am sure someone will post how to link to the servers for the flight. I am not sure how to connect up to it. so again, i will be doing so but for the second time.

Also once we have conformation of the links we will have them posted.

Can anyone provide a guide, or a link to a tutorial, on how new users can participate?  I know for a newcomer to online flying, the setup can be intimidating, even though it's rather straight forward once you get into it.

Brilliant suggestion Chase. Fully endorse it. As someone who'd like to remember our Founder by being part of this fly-in, I'm keen to learn how to achieve this.

A quick guide to fly on VATSIM, first you need a free account.

Register here, and save somewhere safe you ID and Password.

https://www.vatsim.net/

Then you will need a little software called vPilot. Download is here. https://www.vatsim.net/pilots/software. You just install it and configure. On Network you put your VATSIM ID, Password and full name. Select a server that is closest to you (all servers are connected each other)

On audio tab you configure your Microphone (if you have one).

On Model Matching you simply select FSX default or P3D, and select download.

You are good to go. Go to an airport (SELECT A GATE/PARKING SPOT) like SFO and select connect on vPilot. The different towers aveliable should appear (if online). Then switch the frecuency on your plane, and start listening!

Cheers :)

N.-

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.