Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

RealAir Legacy V2 Released

The one issue is that there is very little info about power settings for the turbocharged engine. So far I am guessing and climbing at 32 HG and 2500 RPM... 

At 25000 I was firewalled on the throttle but had to play with RPM a lot... still not satisfied that I found the sweet spot.

RealAir really seems to have modeled the interactions between airspeed and fuel flow when it comes to RPM.

Donald

I also wish there was an option of medium large and then very large O2 tanks. Two hours is a little on the small side for a KABE KMIA run but ten hours would be serious overkill.

Donald

There is a detailed section in the flying guide about precisely why there are no definitive charts about climb or other performance in the turbo charged version. Essentially there are very few documents around as there are very few examples of turbo charged variants, and Lancair do not publish anything other than standard specs. There is a link in the guide to those specs. There is also a link to the Legacy owners association. We publish a table of typical speeds at various altitudes in the guide. We can't magic information when there is none!

There are no definitive performance settings. As the guide says, it is a question of common sense engine management. You can climb at a whole range of speeds and rates, rather like you can drive a car slowly or quickly. The engine instruments will give you detailed info about temps, fuel flow, rpm and power. You can climb or cruise gently to save fuel or you can add power provided you don't stress the engine, and keep the mixture at the point where temps do not go into the red. 

O2 tanks add weight and space. As we assumed internal ones they can't be too big.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Thank you for the reply Robert.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the O2 tanks. You already have an option for a ten hour tank. I was hoping for something between the two and ten, like maybe a three or four or five hour tank. Though maybe you think if a ten galllon tank is used it would replace the passenger and be only used for ferry flights and tanks over two hours pose the same problem.

Donald

Thank you for the reply Robert.

Maybe I wasn't clear about the O2 tanks. You already have an option for a ten hour tank. I was hoping for something between the two and ten, like maybe a three or four or five hour tank. Though maybe you think if a ten galllon tank is used it would replace the passenger and be only used for ferry flights and tanks over two hours pose the same problem.

Donald

OK I see ;) If you look at the "oxygen tank size" in the guide, you'll see that size of tank and time before depletion varies according to altitude. If you are at FL250 and use the smallest tank you'll get only 50 minutes oxygen. Whereas the large tank at the same altitude gives you hours gives you 10 hours. So you'd likely run out of fuel before oxygen. At a typical altitude for best cruise of FL150 to FL170, depending on outside temperature, you've got a range of 2 roughly 2 hours to 26 hours between small, medium and large tanks. Or 2 hours to 5 hours on medium tank. I would agree that the difference between medium and large tanks is somewhat high.

But there's quite a lot of flexibility there. BTW we didn't add weight to the payload for the tanks, although perhaps we should have. I don't actually know how much a medium tank of oxygen weighs but I could find out if you like.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

OK so what you are saying is that something like FL 25 would only be used to avoid weather or something? Or is FL 25 better for economy and 17000 better for speed?

I just upgraded this amazing addon to V2, because I love the integration of the GTN650/750. Using these units I always adjust position and size of the popup window. The standard size is too big from my point-of-view, because it obstructs too much of the screen. A reduction factor of 0.75 or 0.80 makes for a more reasonable size. But unfortunately, these settings in the panel.cfg are overwritten with the standard position and size data whenever the aircraft configuration is saved from the config panel. Could you, Robert, consider changing this overwriting in a possibly planned patch?

Felix

I just upgraded this amazing addon to V2, because I love the integration of the GTN650/750. Using these units I always adjust position and size of the popup window. The standard size is too big from my point-of-view, because it obstructs too much of the screen. A reduction factor of 0.75 or 0.80 makes for a more reasonable size. But unfortunately, these settings in the panel.cfg are overwritten with the standard position and size data whenever the aircraft configuration is saved from the config panel. Could you, Robert, consider changing this overwriting in a possibly planned patch?

Hi Flyfox, The 3d integration is there on the VC and fits perfectly in the cockpit. I think you are discussing the 2d pop up window and by that I assume you mean the size it appears? Are you saying that you want to adjust the 2d pop to your prefered size each time the Legacy is loaded? We'll have to see what everyone else thinks.  I apologise that we didn't make it the size you like.There might be a way of re-sizing that popup. I'm sure it is a simple procedure involving a quick edit of the panel cfg.

OK so what you are saying is that something like FL 25 would only be used to avoid weather or something? Or is FL 25 better for economy and 17000 better for speed?

I think FL170 is probably better for speed and economy, if you reduced power for economy, but perhaps you could get away with higher. Temperature plays a very important part in engine efficiency too so there are no fixed scenarios. You might be able to extrapolate from the table we give in the guide. I haven't flown for extended periods at every level so others might have more advice to offer after a few days!

Hi Flyfox, The 3d integration is there on the VC and fits perfectly in the cockpit. I think you are discussing the 2d pop up window and by that I assume you mean the size it appears? Are you saying that you want to adjust the 2d pop to your prefered size each time the Legacy is loaded? We'll have to see what everyone else thinks.  I apologise that we didn't make it the size you like.There might be a way of re-sizing that popup. I'm sure it is a simple procedure involving a quick edit of the panel cfg.

Hi Robert, oh yes, I didn't express myself clearly. Sorry about this! I was indeed talking about the 2D popup (the VC integration is just perfect), because the popup is normally a bit more responsive and therefore more convenient to operate. If I choose one of the GNTs in the VC, the popup gets the standard size defined by the Flight1 Config (which is quite big and uses a large portion of the screen). The position can be adjusted through the Config but not the size. Yes, this can be easily done in the panel.cfg, which I usually do. My problem is, that any size/position modification in the panel.cfg is overwritten by the Legacy V2 Config Panel, i.e. whenever a new config setting is saved.

Of course, I do not expect you to change anything according to my taste! It would help if you could avoid overwriting the whole panel.cfg. A more flexible solution would be to generate completely separate panels folders (each with its own panel.cfg), one for the default radios (panel), one for the RXP (panel.RXP) and one for the GTN (panel.GTN). This would also have the advantage that any of these panels could be assigned to any of the liveries within the aircraft.cfg. To make it perfect, you could add it as an additional option setting in your Config Panel.

Felix

Hi Robert, I would like to add that it is really amazing how you managed to make an outstanding airplane (for FSX in my case) even better! Flying your new Legacy V2 is a pure joy! Thanks a lot.

Felix

Hi Robert, oh yes, I didn't express myself clearly. Sorry about this! I was indeed talking about the 2D popup (the VC integration is just perfect), because the popup is normally a bit more responsive and therefore more convenient to operate. If I choose one of the GNTs in the VC, the popup gets the standard size defined by the Flight1 Config (which is quite big and uses a large portion of the screen). The position can be adjusted through the Config but not the size. Yes, this can be easily done in the panel.cfg, which I usually do. My problem is, that any size/position modification in the panel.cfg is overwritten by the Legacy V2 Config Panel, i.e. whenever a new config setting is saved.

Of course, I do not expect you to change anything according to my taste! It would help if you could avoid overwriting the whole panel.cfg. A more flexible solution would be to generate completely separate panels folders (each with its own panel.cfg), one for the default radios (panel), one for the RXP (panel.RXP) and one for the GTN (panel.GTN). This would also have the advantage that any of these panels could be assigned to any of the liveries within the aircraft.cfg. To make it perfect, you could add it as an additional option setting in your Config Panel.

Felix,

Best thing is that you contact me through the support channel (email) quoting your order number and I'll see what I can do. There are easier ways than what you describe.

Adjusting the size and location of the GTN popup is easy peasy. Simply 'Undock' the popup window. Grab a corner and resize the window to you liking, grab the bar across the top of the undocked window and move it to your special location. Close the window. Now when you use the popup feature the GTN will be sized to your specs and located to your specs. If the GTN pops up in the Undocked mode then just undock it and find where to grab it (try the upper right of the frame) and move it to your chosen spot. You can resize the popup without going through all the undocking but it is easier to resize when undocked.

You can move the popup to another monitor (if you have 2 or more monitors), but only in the undocked mode.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Donald,

Hello, I am writing the Avsim review for the V2 Legacy and have been gathering bits and pieces of potential performance data to contribute to the community, just as the RW Legacy builders/owners do.

We have both an advantage and a disadvantage. We are in a very small group to actually own a Normalized dual Turbo Legacy. The disadvantage is we are the ones that have to gather the data. I have been running some speed and altitude tests to record data to see if we can set some baselines.

I have determined that the V2 Legacy will indeed function as a high speed touring plane at FL250 and even at FL280. I haven't explored any higher altitudes so far.

One thing that I have noticed is the Fuel Mixture control plays a very important role in the performance numbers as one would expect. What is surprising is how much or how little, depending on how you quantify the fuel/air mixture ratio. When using the tooltips to record the Mixture setting, I find numbers in the 30 - 50% range.

For instance, yesterday I flew level at FL250 for about an hour to make sure all the numbers were stable and recorded;

MP 24.1IN, 2,400 RPM (fixed at all altitudes) -33 deg C, 11.7 g/hr Fuel Flow, 187 IAS, 273 TAS, Mixture at 31%, 386 CHT and 1611 EGT

at FL280 MP 21.2IN, 2,400 RPM, -39 deg C, 10.9 g/h FF, 174 IAS, 269 TAS, Mixture at 31% (touchy), 398 CHT, 1486 EGT.

This early information tells me that I probably would not cruise higher than FL250 unless ATC directed or to avoid weather.

I have spent more time in the FL180 area testing various settings to look for that hard to find 'Sweet Spot' but I have no difficulty finding 300/301 kts TAS (-20 deg C) 32.3 MP 17.7 g/h FF.

Interestingly at FL180 @ 24 IN MP, 2,400 RPM (24/24), I can witness FF from 9.1 g/h to 12.0 g/h with mixture settings of 33% - 40%. TAS stays much closer and ranges from 254 - 259 Kts. I have recorded FF of 9.1/33%, 10.3/35%, 11.0/37%, 11.7/38% and 12.0/40%.

I haven't figured out how to compute the % engine power just yet, so I can make the Economy 65%, Normal 75%, Fast Cruise 85% and Full Power (100%) Cruise Tables. I need one of those engine monitor computers that has a constant readout of % power, like in the Saratoga TC.

Good luck with your flying high, just make sure you have plenty of O2.

Regards,

Ray

EDIT: I made a trip up to FL310. I wouldn't want to fly there without an AP, too mushy and right on the edge of not feeling good. It would have to very smooth weather for me to stay up there. Numbers are OK though.

18.5MP 2400RPM -45 deg C, 8.3 g/h FF, 156 Kt IAS, 255 Kts TAS. 1457/408

If I go any higher, I want a Mach Meter.

Adjusting the size and location of the GTN popup is easy peasy. Simply 'Undock' the popup window. Grab a corner and resize the window to you liking, grab the bar across the top of the undocked window and move it to your special location. Close the window. Now when you use the popup feature the GTN will be sized to your specs and located to your specs. If the GTN pops up in the Undocked mode then just undock it and find where to grab it (try the upper right of the frame) and move it to your chosen spot. You can resize the popup without going through all the undocking but it is easier to resize when undocked.

You can move the popup to another monitor (if you have 2 or more monitors), but only in the undocked mode.

Regards,

Ray

Thank you, Ray, for your tipps! I absolutely agree with you. However, this method requires resizing and relocating the popup window after every aircraft loading. With my proposal I opted for an adjustable fixed setting of those parameters, combined with the option to conveniently use different radios/GPS with different liveries. I have my preferred settings for the GPS popups in most of my aircraft. But in this case any individual modification in the panel.cfg is overwritten by saving the latest Legacy Config state.

I might input my request via support ticket as suggested by Robert.

Felix

Hey Guys and Girls,

I have a chart that depicts how much Manifold Pressure is available at various altitudes. Quite impressive performance. We can fly at 20,000 with the equivalent power of the standard Legacy on takeoff roll at sea level.

Regards,

Ray

MP Chart4a_1024.jpg

• Upvote 1

I am wondering why the RealAir site advertises the price at 34.95 Euro, but, when I try to check out I get either $41.99 USD, or if I try to check out in Euro the price changes to 37.42 Euro ($41.67 USD by PayPal rates).  I am only given an option of Paypal Checkout by SWREG.

Joe Lorenc

I am wondering why the RealAir site advertises the price at 34.95 Euro, but, when I try to check out I get either $41.99 USD, or if I try to check out in Euro the price changes to 37.42 Euro ($41.67 USD by PayPal rates).  I am only given an option of Paypal Checkout by SWREG.

We get exactly what we advertise, less the commission we pay to Swreg and the even higher commission we pay just to list our products on affiliate sites. Some countries have tax. Some states in the US have tax. Europe gets VAT. Banks take commision. Currency exchangers take commision. We still get the cover price. Everything else is taken by middlemen and is deducted before we see it, and we do not handle the transaction because we have no merchant account. Swreg offers credit card or paypal. You do not get only the option of a paypal checkout.