Sign in to follow this  
JetManHuss

The VSKYLABS Powered Hang-glider Project

OK...

First time I'm posting at avsim.com forums...

My recent project for X-Plane is all about powered hang-gliders and hang-glider trikes.

(It's a low-cost payware project).

Already in this project are the Trike S-1 and the Trike-Buggy S-2 (the S-2 was added to the package today as a free update).

Creating a flight model of hang-gliders is a real challenge in X-Plane ("shooting" to the results of it's equations...and when it comes to a weight-shifting hang glider...things gets sometimes a little bit "messy"....). 

Anyways, here are some screenshots...

The project is evolving and new design will be added to the package.

You can follow it at

And..I will update the news and will answer questions (if any...) in this thread :)

:)

JetManHuss.

vskylabs trike s-1 007A.jpg

vskylabs trike s-1 006A.jpg

• Upvote 1

It's about time somebody made a decent trike, so this is very welcome news for me :-). I look forward to seeing your progress

Oh, this look freaking cool! 

Can you realistically mirror the real flight model though? I know it is already very hard with normal gliders, I can only assume it's much more of a challenge with handhelds. Anyhow, keeping my fingers crossed, good luck!

It's about time somebody made a decent trike, so this is very welcome news for me :-). I look forward to seeing your progress

Hi.

Oh, this look freaking cool! 

Can you realistically mirror the real flight model though? I know it is already very hard with normal gliders, I can only assume it's much more of a challenge with handhelds. Anyhow, keeping my fingers crossed, good luck!

Hi there :)

Well, there is a lot to consider, especially the weight and balance setting, wing tilt and weight shifting settings, engines proper alignment, torque, offsets, proper drag coefficients for the undercarriage and wing profiles ;)

Final result is pretty good. The thing flies like a trike, and even the tumbling phenomena is quite good.

Thanks ! :)

MAJOR Package update details (6th December 2016):
  1. 7th December - Minor fix: "Fly-by-Mouse" feature is now setup to move the control bar in the same direction of the mouse (100% realism). 
  2. The package was updated and upgraded to X-Plane 10.51.
  3. 3D cockpit upgraded with new features and textures (S-1/S-1-F/S-3).
  4. GPS system was added to the S-1/S-3 variants (X-Plane GPS 530).
  5. Flight model deeply refurbished. The Trikes flight envelope was "opened" to allow more control authority when landing at nose-high attitude (one can now run on the two main gears more easily).
  6. Extended-Usability features added to the cockpit (S-1/S-1-F/S-3):
  • Toggle Pilot Object: switch on/off pilot object visibility.
  • Toggle Field-of-View: switch between 95 and 103 degrees).
  • Toggle Pilot-Assist mode: switch to pilot assist mode in which the trike can maintain desired flight attitude easily and can be flown with reduced pilot work-load).
  • Fly-by-Mouse: click on the mouse and drag it as if you are moving the control-bar. This is very useful for real trike pilots who like to experience more natural and realistic control method, other than a joystick.

Trikes model S-2 and S-1-F (floats only) were removed from the package.

The aircraft project can be found at VSKYLABS.COM website, or by using this LINK.

s-1 trike VSKYLABS 10.51 1024 001.jpg

vskylabs s-3 hang glider 10.51 1024 002.jpg

s-1 trike VSKYLABS 10.51 1024 002.jpg

s-1 trike VSKYLABS 10.51 1024 005.jpg

s-1 trike VSKYLABS 10.51 1024 003.jpg

s-1 trike VSKYLABS 10.51 1024 004.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello Jetman,

Very nice looking trike. I am converting to X-Plane 11. Will the trike operate well with XP11?

Thanks.

Jim Morgan

Hello Jetman,

Very nice looking trike. I am converting to X-Plane 11. Will the trike operate well with XP11?

Thanks.

Hi jcjimmy!

The trikes are working with X-Plane 11, but it is recommended to wait a bit until X-Plane 11 will pass the beta phase. Shortly after that, I will release the additional updates (free updates).

As for now, it is flyable and looking good, but I'm waiting for things to get stable a bit, before I could run a thorough test to get the flight model working as I want it to be.

The Trikes models are looking great in X-Plane 11 while running the X-Plane 10 versions, but there are some fixes that I will have to do in order to make use of all of X-Plane 11 rendering features, so...hold on short and the X-Plane 11 models will be added to the package.

Here is a link to the VSKYLABS X-Plane 11 update explanation.

Hope that was helpful :)

JetManHuss.

The trikes are working with X-Plane 11, but it is recommended to wait a bit until X-Plane 11 will pass the beta phase. Shortly after that, I will release the additional updates (free updates).

Hi Jetman,

Many thanks for the info. I'll order when the XP11 versions come out - it shouldn't be too long a wait.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jim Morgan

Hi Jetman,

Many thanks for the info. I'll order when the XP11 versions come out - it shouldn't be too long a wait.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hi jcjimmy,

Thank you!

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too  :smile:

JetManHuss.

hi  i bought your trike and am on your mailing list !!!

your prices are a real bargain !!!

x-plane 10 needs some more gliders  with nice 3d virtal cockpits  for soaring 

also

this interesting ultralight hasnt been modeled on any sim  ......... it can be picked up and carried aswell !!!!!!!

X-14 Ultralight

x14_ultralight_aircraft.jpg

hi  i bought your trike and am on your mailing list !!!

your prices are a real bargain !!!

x-plane 10 needs some more gliders  with nice 3d virtal cockpits  for soaring 

also

this interesting ultralight hasnt been modeled on any sim  ......... it can be picked up and carried aswell !!!!!!!

Hi Harry250,

The X-14 *is* on my drawing board. I get a lot of ultralight aircraft requests and suggestions. My focus for 2017 is going to be on ultralight/microlight aviation and gliding, and I'm starting to develop real life models (the EuroFOX is one of them). I would make a rough estimation about the X-14...maybe around March 2017..

Thanks again !

JetManHuss :)

Just bought the Hang-glider package. I use it in XP11. I know it isn't fully XP11 compatible yet (bought it after reading the XP11 update will be free) but just to be sure:

1. the aircraft selection screen shows no picture of the plane: I suppose this is because of no XP11 compatibility yet?

2. when I start a flight the ground around me, about half of the screen, is white, as if there is a white square around me, It moves around when I look around. When I take off it is gone though. I suppose this is also because of no XP11 compatibility yet?

Final question: is it possible to bypass the automatic change of FOV...? Whenever I load a hang-glider I now have to reset the FOV to my preferred 70.

Other than that: love the planes, specially the S-3. I've been looking for something like this since using XP11, mainly to easily check out new (addon) airports and other new scenery. In FSX I used the default trike for that. These ones look a LOT better! Cheap too! (Even at the full price for which I bought them. :wink: )

Just bought the Hang-glider package. I use it in XP11. I know it isn't fully XP11 compatible yet (bought it after reading the XP11 update will be free) but just to be sure:

1. the aircraft selection screen shows no picture of the plane: I suppose this is because of no XP11 compatibility yet?

2. when I start a flight the ground around me, about half of the screen, is white, as if there is a white square around me, It moves around when I look around. When I take off it is gone though. I suppose this is also because of no XP11 compatibility yet?

Final question: is it possible to bypass the automatic change of FOV...? Whenever I load a hang-glider I now have to reset the FOV to my preferred 70.

Other than that: love the planes, specially the S-3. I've been looking for something like this since using XP11, mainly to easily check out new (addon) airports and other new scenery. In FSX I used the default trike for that. These ones look a LOT better! Cheap too! (Even at the full price for which I bought them. :wink: )

Hi!

Well, the hang-glider package is X-Plane 11 "ready", but not yet gone through the X-Plane 11 update.

For your notes:

1. The 3D picture of the plane (the preview in the selection screen) will be fixed in the upcoming X-Plane 11 version. This is an easy minor "fix"; X-Plane 11 produces these thumbnails in a different way...

2. The white/blue area that you see while sitting on the ground: This is a reported bug in X-Plane, hopefully will be addressed by Laminar Research soon...here is a short explanation: this while/blue area is visible in X-Plane's rendering engine while fixing a POV very close to the ground (sitting very low and close to the surface of the "Earth"). The trikes seats (or any other low-cockpit aircraft such as gliders etc...) are positioned very low to the ground and this artifact might be visible, as you've described. It is visible especially in a high FOV settings (above 65 degrees) and when looking down while on the ground. A lower FOV setting may fix it, and as I wrote, hopefully it will be addressed sooner that later by Laminar Research.

Answer to your final question: FOV setting should not behave this way and it will be fixed in the X-Plane 11 update.

There are others issues like flight dynamics and engine (motor) simulation, ground behavior and other aspects that will be addressed in the X-Plane 11 update. Plus...this package is going to have another major update in the near future, bringing more detail, systems and 3D modeling improvements, so it is a very dynamic package. I can also say that I've started to make the preparations to create a familiar sport trike model (rather than the generic "S" models), which will take the trike package an interesting step forward :)

Hope that my answers were helpful,

Thanks !

JetManHuss :)

Thanks for all the answers! Very satisfying answers too!  :wink: Looking forward to the updates already! But I will be enjoying the trikes in the meantime anyway!

BTW The 'white bug' I can live with: I am happy to know that there isn't something wrong on my side. Obviously I'd like LR to fix the bug but I usually spend most of my time in the air and not on the ground, so... no real problem here!  :wink:

Although it is "X-Plane 11 Ready", the VSKYLABS Hang Glider package is about to have its X-Plane 11 upgrade soon.

Upgrade is including improved sounds, new motor/propeller physics and the needed touches for 3D appearance in X-Plane 11 world.

This upgrade is scheduled to be released in a ~week or so, and it will contain both X-Plane 11 and X-Plane 10.51 versions of the trikes.

When ready, the free update will be sent to all buyers.

:)

JetManHuss.

Oh! I've almost forgot!, I've got the approval to create the 'Flying Inflatable Boat' (from Polaris Motor, Italy). The addition of a real-world, familiar trike will be one of the highlights of this package in 2017. More details...soon...