What can a i7 4770K be safely overclocked too from factory clock of 3.5 and be stable?  With water.  Thanks

Regards

Lamar Wright

Depends on the CPU lotto. If you have one out of a good batch, there is no theoretical limit. A realistic overclock can be anything from 3.6 to 4.7, depending on voltage, temp, and your CPU. My core voltage limit is 1.3 on a 4790k.

Depends on the CPU lotto. If you have one out of a good batch, there is no theoretical limit. A realistic overclock can be anything from 3.6 to 4.7, depending on voltage, temp, and your CPU. My core voltage limit is 1.3 on a 4790k.

Thanks Rhys

Regards

Lamar Wright

I've tried to OC the 4790 all the way up to 5.0 but I have only been able to keep it stable at 4.6 which works fine for FSX.  I'm not running at fully maxed settings but most are and I'm getting about 30-35 FPS on the ground, approach and landing.  I'm happy with the upgrade - not perfect but good enough for simming...

It varies a lot between batches and individual CPUs. Some barely break 4 GHz while others can reach close to 5 GHz. Only way to find out is to try.
I have an early 4770K from mid-2013, that maxed out a 4.3 GHz. After de-lidding I got it up to 4.5 GHz which I've used for the past 2.5 years without issue.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP