Sign in to follow this  
DTG Martin

Ask Dovetail Games about DTG Flight School & Flight Simulator

Added question again here as was moved into discussion thread by somebody

Can't see if this has been asked already -

FSUIPC by Pete D - Is this being implemented into the new sim or will there be a similar facility developed by DTG therefore making FSUIPC redundant?

Because of the leap in technology that DTG Flight Simulator will offer over FSX: SE it means that it will not be compatible with any existing add-ons, plugins or alike. This includes FSUIPC. Naturally we will provide developers with all the tools, documentation and support they need to create great new content for this new platform and will be working closely with them during that process. What we hope is that by doing this we will all see a new wave of brand new exciting add-ons which advances the genre rather than old add-ons and plugins simply being ported over. 

Don't forget that FSX: SE is not going anywhere, so you can continue to use all of your existing add-ons with that sim just like you can now. 

- Martin 

Hi Martin,

Thanks for listening

Just 3 simple questions

I read on a facebook comment that sloped runway wont be there in

DTG flight school , will that be the case for flight simulator?

Weather engine has always been unreal , boring and too much forgiving in fsx and p3d

, Whats new in this area for flight simulator ?

Will rain droplets, snow, dust ...etc be visible on the windsheild while in virtual cockpit view?

Thanks

That is correct, they will not be in Flight School. We are certainly looking at them for Flight Simulator later in the year. 

The weather engine is one of those areas of development which we are working on but not actively talking about at the moment. The best I can say is that we will have more news about this as we get closer to the launch of DTG Flight Simulator. 

- Martin 

Do you guys plan on pulling something like BF3 where even on "Low", the textures look stunning?

Also, am much excited for more news on this!

It is certainly our aim to make both sims look the best we can regardless of what graphics settings you use. BF3 was a much smaller and concentrated game world though, so it is not really a fair comparison. 

- Martin 

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply I think maybe we have crossed wires. My question was asking about the business model NOT content. Simply put will customers who purchase your "new" flight simulator later this year get FREE future updates year on year which add features to the simulator. OR will they have to buy each new release?

You have done this with Train Simulator so someone buys TS2013 and gets 2014, 2015 and some parts of TS16 absolutely free with all the additional features included.

Thanks

Duncan

That is what I meant by content models Duncan. The way in which new content is released. There are lots of options open to us and each has various benefits to simmers. The most likely case will be a mixture of free updates and optional paid for content. As I say, we haven't fixed upon a final model just yet but when we do we will be openly talking about it. 

- Martin  

Hello Martin,

Will either new sim have a hardware cursor?

Sorry but I don't understand what exactly you mean. Could you please expand upon your question. 

- Martin 

Because of the leap in technology that DTG Flight Simulator will offer over FSX: SE it means that it will not be compatible with any existing add-ons, plugins or alike. This includes FSUIPC.

Without Fsuipc and Simconnect how will we be able to get our hardware working with the Sim ?

Many of the community have invested in hardware components such as auto pilots and radios and would wish to use them in your new simulator.

Rather than being a leap in technology it sounds more like a backward step for those who have hardware cockpit setups.

So, I do not that think it can be expected that hardware for FSX will work with the new sims

Wobbie, the same hardware works with FSX and XPlane, all we need is a well documented method of getting data in and out of the simulator and then the drivers can be written, without this Dovetail will seriously limit it's audience.

Martin can you confirm if there will be simconnect type facilities for interfacing external hardware.

Will it be the same SDK as used in MS Flight ? with LUA extensions and 3ds Max for content production, it was a sweet piece of kit and never did see release.

Best CJ

Hi Martin

And thanks for giving us the opertunity to ask question about the upcoming releases.

I have several questions I would like to ask,but for now my only question is more to do with the purchase methods namely Steam.

Do you plan to offer the sims only as steam purchases or are you considering using other ways ie direct from yourselves or through the various flightsim stores.

Given the choice I really hope there are more options other than Steam, I have never been a fan of Steam, I bought XPlane from there and I think it was the worst decision I made. The Steam version lagged baddly when updates came out and I really do not like having to be connected to Steam to run anything I bought through them

Thanks again

Pete Little

Without Fsuipc and Simconnect how will we be able to get our hardware working with the Sim ?

Many of the community have invested in hardware components such as auto pilots and radios and would wish to use them in your new simulator.

Rather than being a leap in technology it sounds more like a backward step for those who have hardware cockpit setups.

Just like developers, we will be working with hardware manufactures to provide them with all the tools, documentation and support they need to create great new content for this new platform and will be working closely with them during that process.

- Martin 

Hi Martin

And thanks for giving us the opertunity to ask question about the upcoming releases.

I have several questions I would like to ask,but for now my only question is more to do with the purchase methods namely Steam.

Do you plan to offer the sims only as steam purchases or are you considering using other ways ie direct from yourselves or through the various flightsim stores.

Given the choice I really hope there are more options other than Steam, I have never been a fan of Steam, I bought XPlane from there and I think it was the worst decision I made. The Steam version lagged baddly when updates came out and I really do not like having to be connected to Steam to run anything I bought through them

Thanks again

Both DTG Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator with be available through Steam and the Windows Store. 

- Martin 

I am confused when guys are expecting Fsuipc & Simconnect to work with DTG's new sims.

Surely, & Martin can correct me on this, DTG is not making an upgrade for FSX & P3D. They are making a brand new sim, & Martin has said that  Because of the leap in technology that DTG Flight Simulator will offer over FSX: SE it means that it will not be compatible with any existing add-ons, plugins or alike. This includes FSUIPC.

So, I do not that think it can be expected that hardware for FSX will work with the new sims.

Guys, it WILL BE a brand new sim, with no compatibility with the old! (unless I mis-read what Martin said!)

We wanted something new & better than what we have, & we expect/demand that our old stuff must work?

Martin, you are a brave man!   :smile: :good:

You are 100% correct Sir. DTG Flight Simulator is a brand new simulation platform. FSX: SE is not going anywhere and we are not looking to replace it. We are not making a sequel or continuing the range of Microsoft flight simulators. It is completely its own thing and while developing it we are looking towards the future of the technology rather than connecting to what currently exists. 

- Martin 

• Upvote 4

Just like developers, we will be working with hardware manufactures to provide them with all the tools, documentation and support they need to create great new content for this new platform and will be working closely with them during that process.

Martin, thanks for answering

Hopefully the hardware manufacturers will see potential in the platform and interface their products.

- Martin 

Both DTG Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator with be available through Steam and the Windows Store. 

- Martin 

You are 100% correct Sir. DTG Flight Simulator is a brand new simulation platform. FSX: SE is not going anywhere and we are not looking to replace it. We are not making a sequel or continuing the range of Microsoft flight simulators. It is completely its own thing and while developing it we are looking towards the future of the technology rather than connecting to what currently exists. 

- Martin

I think you're 100% doing the right thing!

People need to realize in order to evolve (which is about time!) we need to let go of the past.

One question though. You say this will be a brand new sim but still it will be based on the old core engine found in previous versions of MS's flight sim series?

• Upvote 2

Richard Åsberg

Sorry but I don't understand what exactly you mean. Could you please expand upon your question. 

- Martin 

Here's a detailed explanation

Under FSX, whenever you move the mouse, the framerate drops, then goes back up when the mouse is left untouched for 5 seconds. This is due to FSX lacking a hardware cursor. The framerate drop doesn't happen in P3D, XPlane, or any other software I've tried with a hardware cursor option.

Martin,

Here is a new question for you. In one of the 3 screenshots I've been able to see, road traffic is visible on a highway. Does this mean that moving road traffic has been retained for Flight School as an option, and will there also be ship/boat AI as well?

Just curious, and once again thanks for your appearance here.

Ken

It is completely its own thing and while developing it we are looking towards the future of the technology rather than connecting to what currently exists. 

- Martin

Sounds like a Microsoft quote when FSX first came out!

Martin, thanks for answering

Hopefully the hardware manufacturers will see potential in the platform and interface their products.

Hardware manufacturers create hardware not software, it is usually down to the application developers to create appropriate interfaces, hence the need for something like fsuipc to be included.

If current top 3rd party addons are not going to be compatible, which seems they will not, then Serious flight simmers, rather than pure gamers, would need the following aspects to be included in the base product, to be tempted by this new technology sim.

Perhaps Martin can answer a simple Yes/No to each as to whether they are to be included into the base new DTFS (not Flight School but Flight Simulator):

1. Accurate flight dynamics for all included aircraft, with smooth flight motion?

2. Realistic and accurate jet / tubo prop airliner

flight decks with operable switches that do what they are supposed to do, and smooth gauges, of the quality of A2A PMDG / QW / LevelD?

3. BTW, Which aircraft are planned to be included as standard?

4. Realistic ATC with voice interface?

5. Realistic weather engine, with accurate real world weather depiction incl. winds (surface and aloft), cloud cover, different precipitation?

6. Ability to accurately calibrate joysticks, Throttles and rudders and related h/w buttons to various DTFS functions?

7. Accurate Scenery mesh to at least LOD 10?

8. SDK to enable Add-on Airport & Aircraft manufacturers to modify all the top 3rd party products to the new sim?

9. Great default textures to the quality of ORBX Global?

If Martin could give clear answers to the above, rather than company clouded answers, then perhaps we shall all have more faith in the new simulator, and would not be so concerned, and can simply look forward rather than expecting the status quo. If not then most simmers will remain sceptical at least.

Stuart

• Upvote 2

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

1. Accurate flight dynamics for all included aircraft, with smooth flight motion?
2. Realistic and accurate jet / tubo prop airliner
flight decks with operable switches that do what they are supposed to do, and smooth gauges, of the quality of A2A PMDG / QW / LevelD?
3. BTW, Which aircraft are planned to be included as standard?
4. Realistic ATC with voice interface?
5. Realistic weather engine, with accurate real world weather depiction incl. winds (surface and aloft), cloud cover, different precipitation?
6. Ability to accurately calibrate joysticks, Throttles and rudders and related h/w buttons to various DTFS functions?
7. Accurate Scenery mesh to at least LOD 10?
8. SDK to enable Add-on Airport & Aircraft manufacturers to modify all the top 3rd party products to the new sim?
9. Great default textures to the quality of ORBX Global?

Hi Martin,

I understand that you are not in a position to answer these questions at this time

but pls keep in mind these very important points ,i think thats exactly what hardcore simmers are 

looking for in a 2016 flightsim ,and i dont mean that points 1 and 2 have to be defaulted but at least that the sim will allow developers to hv wider limitations than wt we hv currently

am an airline pilot and can tell that flight dynamics in FSX or P3D is far away from wt u get in 

real life specially for jets even in the most advanced addons like PMDG

Again thanks for listening 

Morning, (here in South Africa it is,) Martin,

As, shall I call myself, a veteran simmer, hardcore as far as having a yoke & pedal, & enjoy the 'low's 'n slow's, it is simply great that DTG will be launching 2x sims. As said before, my personal idea was 3, a basic, a silver & a gold release, catering for all sectors. However, 2, in retrospect is ideal, with the sim edition having the ability to be expanded.

We have seen a lot of questions & confusion as to the expectations & compatibility of existing add-ons into the DTG release, & you have explained, perfectly. (on numerous occasions)

Can you perhaps confirm your target market for us?  The training for the newbies, novice & others, to establish an 'easy' entry into the hobby, & then the sim itself. I see that as being a natural step forward. Would it initially appeal to the hard core'ers or will it need add-ons to appeal?

I saw mentioned that the sim would also be available through the Windows Store/Shop. Will that bring mobile compatibility as well?

I

• Upvote 2

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Morning everyone, how are we all doing today?

I am seeing lots of questions about hardware and plugins like FSUIPC. I am not going to respond to each of them in turn but I will try to cover the points raised in a single answer. I am sorry if that feels impersonal. 

First off, we want to make it clear that we completely understand and share your concerns. You have paid good money for your hardware and you want to use it. Why wouldn't you? It is an investment and these things are usually not cheap. 

Lots of people are asking "will you support this hardware or that add-on?" That is not the way things work and in reality it has never been the way things have worked. Things like FSUIPC exist to bridge holes that are present in FSX and alike. They add functionality which was never there in the first place. While we admire the efforts of the hard working developers who create these add-ons, it has at the same time created a landscape of dependencies which can be very confusing. This is especially true for new simmers and it can put people off trying flight sims altogether. 

I have spoken before about how accessibility is a key focus for us. We have spent the last two years listening to existing and would-be simmers alike. We have been intent on discovering what keeps you all simming, and what stops those who would like to get into flight simulation from doing so. We have learned that flight simulation appeals to an incredible amount of people, but a lot of them find it too hard to get started with. It is our aim to reclaim and attract those would-be simmers, but in order to do so, we need to present flight simulation in a way that doesn't initially overwhelm them. 

It is not an ideal situation when people try flight simming and have to spend their first few days digging through forums and websites trying find the plugins they need in order to get things working. As I say this can be very off putting for many people and not everyone who wants to give flight simming a try is particularly tech savvy. Speaking personally, my Father for example would enjoy a flight sim (he has always wanted to fly) but he is in his 70's and not sure about how the cut and paste functions work in Windows. He would be totally lost installing third party drivers and plugins which are scattered across the web. 

We want to break down such barriers to entry. We want anyone who would like to give this hobby a try the ability to do so and make that process as painless as we can for them. To this end we are focused on making sure that we provide hardware and software developers a stable platform and a clear standard.

Our aim is create a landscape of quality, consistency and accessibility. To this end FSUIPC and alike will not be supported. The reason for this is if we do our jobs right such plugins should not be needed to begin with. As a few of you have mentioned it is a crazy situation where a large section of compatibility in the flight sim world relies on the goodwill and hard work of one man. 

In order to move forward we need to sort this jumbled up landscape out. In the short term this means that there will be a period instability but over time we believe that this approach will make everyone's lives easier. That it will result in a situation where we can all spend more time flying and less time hunting around for solutions to problems which shouldn't have existed in the first place. We can't do this alone and to that end we are working closely with many developers. Over the past 2 years, we have made our intentions clear with respect to welcoming and working with developers, both big and small, on FSX: SE. We fully intend to continue those relationships and we are looking forward will be welcoming both existing and new developers to the Dovetail Games Flight Simulator platform.

As I say it is not a case of supporting this or that. The more we focus on what currently is, the less time we have to spend on developing what could be. That has been a really tough decision but we believe it is the right one. To look to the future rather than focus on the past. Some people have called us brave, some people have called us stupid. There are good arguments for both points of view. 

FSUIPC will not be supported because we want to make sure it is not needed in the first place. Lots of the most well know add-ons that you all love are there to add functionality and features which were never there to start with. 

We looked at this and asked ourselves the question "why are those functions and feature not there to start with?" This then lead us onto the very exciting question of "if these things are not needed to start with, what new things would that give developers the time and resources to focus on making?" Do you really want to see the current tools and add-ons simply ported over or do you want to see what brand new add-ons these developers can make? If we want everything just like it is now then what is the point of any new flight sim? Simply continue to use what there already is. FSX: SE is not going anywhere, everything that currently works with it will continue to do so. What would be gained by taking everything that already exists and simply copying it over to a new platform? Sure we might all get better performance but nothing else would have really changed. Do you want to see what an existing FSX weather add-on looks like running on modern hardware or do you want to see what a brand new weather add-on could be and include? 

I hope that explains things a little better. If I have caused any further confusion please let me know and we can revisit this topic. The big take away here is that not supporting these things does creates gaps and problems, we fully intend to to fill those gaps and offer alternatives. FSUIPC might not be there but we not just going to leave the functions missing. Instead there are going be new tools and systems which developers and simmers alike can use. 

- Martin 

• Upvote 8

Martin,

I strongly believe DTG is in the good way - we just have to give you the benefit of doubt, if not anything else :-)

I honestly give DTG a LOT more, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Flight School to buy it the first day it get's available, so I hope!

I will finally have a 64 bit, DX11 NEW civil Flight simulation platform to invest in and play with until the Flight Simulator becomes available latter this year !!!

3pds will also have their chance to get hands-on experience with the platform of the future, and prepare to migrate...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...