Hello dev team, you did an awesome job so far, but not with latest build 5921...

I have stable 51 fps before updating to 5921.

I have 25 fps lost with thunderstorm, rain, fog and some clouds, never had fps drops before build 5921!

On ground 51 fps with heavy weather, when looking at clouds in wingview or vc 25 fps loss, that can't be, seriously.

No fps hit before update in same weather, scenery, addons whatever, I tested it.

Some guys in fb groups also  have the same fps drops aswell. So, I am NOT the only one having this Performance problem.

So please check it and patch this issue.

Thx a lot guys for your incredible work so far, but this issue has to be resolved.

Kind regards, Tom Weigandt

Hi Tom,

The visibility handling has changed much in 3.2 and we have attempted to adjust things to meet all users expectations (very difficult challenge).  I am wondering if you are experiencing reduction of performance due to the new maximum visibility handling, and previously were running "restricted" vis with different settings.  Restricted vis to hide far distance clouds now requires a Maximum Upper Visibility setting in ASN of less than 100 miles.  

If you have higher max upper vis, and have a large/increased cloud draw distance, it might explain why things are different.  Please check this.

• Upvote 1

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian, thx for your Response. :-)

What do you mean exactly? I decreased my upper visibility. What shall I do exactly? Shall I run ASN with Standard pre defined Settings?

Thx very much for your help.

Kind regards, Tom

Hey guys,

since Damian referred back to this thread from the HiFi forums, I'm posting here.

I observed the same as Tom since the 5921 update. It's pretty obvious during climb or descend when approaching some solid cloud formations... doesn't even have to be an overcast situation. GPU load is reading 99%. Never had this before, despite having 4xSGSS set in NI. I already set the recommended hazy look settings as per the release notes. It seems to be okay during cruise phase. Btw: Maximum cloud layers in ASN is set to 3.

Also downgraded my Nvidia drivers to the latest 361 release to rule them out, since there are some known problems with the newer ones.

I have a GTX 970 in my rig, REX Soft Clouds with quite balanced settings overall. No 4K textures or whatever (DXT 1K)

Is there any information I could provide to dig deeper into that issue?

• Upvote 1

Hendrik Horeis

I can confirm there is definitely an issue with 5921. the fps drop is insane, no matter what settings you use its still the same result. i hope we can get this fixed. 

Thanks

Wayne George

• Upvote 1

Also here. Frame drops never before...

• Upvote 1

Same here guys,

Never had this issue before.

My settings have not changed , previous updates was working flawlessly wven with 4xsgss

Cheers

Mike

• Upvote 1

Hello same prob here.. What i did.

Uninstall ASN> Install B5868 > Install update 5912 and all normal again.

I'm having the same issue and only since I've updated P3D and ASN I'm seeing massive stuttering with heavy clouds. Before the updates, everything was smooth and now looking at the Cloud.fx file I see that the GetScreenQuadPositions value of .50 I set was now at .67. Not sure if this has to do with the ASN update or the P3D update but I'm going to test and see if my stutters are gone.

• Upvote 1

After testing I can confirm that the stutters I've been experiencing was due to the Cloud.fx change. I changed the GetScreenQuadPositions from 0.67 to 0.50 and there was no stuttering. Changing the value to 0.67 and repeating the flight, massive stuttering.

Here's the line from the Cloud.fx file (using Notepad++ the line number is 311) - GetScreenQuadPositions(quad, width*0.67, height*0.67);

At this point, I would suggest anyone who is running the latest versions of REX and ASN to check their Cloud.fx file to see if the GetScreenQuadPositions values are 0.67 and to change them back to 0.50 and see if this addresses your stuttering issues. 

**Note on testing**

I searched for a location where there was rain and overcast layers and found KDSM (Des Moines, IA) to be a good location to test. Here's the METAR for the airport:

KDSM 231654Z 08018G27KT 4SM -RA BKN011 OVC028 07/03 A2965 RMK AO2 PK WND 09027/1650 CIG 009V014 SLP040 P0000 T00670028

I saved the weather file in ASN and loaded it prior to each test flight to it was consistent weather.

The change in the Cloud.fx file is done by REX. This has been discussed in another thread. I really don't like that REX messes around with shaders without notifying or asking the user...

• Upvote 1

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

The change in the Cloud.fx file is done by REX. This has been discussed in another thread. I really don't like that REX messes around with shaders without notifying or asking the user...

Exactly my thoughts!

And I must confirm that 0.50 fix works, luckily.

• Upvote 1

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

So with changing this value inside cloud fx file massive Frame drop fixed and fps increase?