Sign in to follow this  
DennyA

New Install: FSX or FSX-SE -- and coexistence with P3D?

I've been out of the civilian sim world since mid-2015, due to a confluence of factors. I recently rebuilt my gaming PC for an upcoming Oculus Rift delivery, and I'm anxious to get FSX and P3D up and running again. I have a ton of legacy commercial and free planes, scenery, utilities, etc. and I own both the original MS FSX Deluxe edition and FSX Steam Edition, plus P3D.

So here are the questions:

1. Should I install the MS FSX version, or the Steam version? When I last left things, there were occasional quirks with the Steam Edition and some add-ons, but at the same time, the developers were actively improving the sim. My gut is to go FSX-SE, but is now a stable platform as a base for a DX10 FSX setup?
  2. Any concerns or precautions before installing P3D and FSX (either version) on the same PC?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

...Denny

DennyA
Fake planes flown: MSFS / P3D v4.x / FSX / X-Plane 11 / Aerofly FS2 / IL-2 / DCS / FlightSafety 737-200 full-motion (Aloha 243 cockpit) / a zillion old sims
Real planes flown: Mooney 231, Cessna 310, F-15D (back seat), T-34B (front seat) 

Ancient computer magazines I wrote about flight sims for: Computer Gaming World, Computer Games/Strategy+, Compute!, AmigaWorld
Rig: Core i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB, HP Reverb G2, Winwing HOTAS and Turtle Beach pedals

I've been out of the civilian sim world since mid-2015, due to a confluence of factors. I recently rebuilt my gaming PC for an upcoming Oculus Rift delivery, and I'm anxious to get FSX and P3D up and running again. I have a ton of legacy commercial and free planes, scenery, utilities, etc. and I own both the original MS FSX Deluxe edition and FSX Steam Edition, plus P3D.

So here are the questions:

1. Should I install the MS FSX version, or the Steam version? When I last left things, there were occasional quirks with the Steam Edition and some add-ons, but at the same time, the developers were actively improving the sim. My gut is to go FSX-SE, but is now a stable platform as a base for a DX10 FSX setup?
  2. Any concerns or precautions before installing P3D and FSX (either version) on the same PC?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

...Denny

I'd install STEAM..has tweaked memory management.

I have FSX/DX10, P3D v2.4, and P3D 3.2.3  all installed on the same system.  No conflicts whatsoever.  Actually, you need to add FS9 and XPX as well for the complete turn-out on my system.  No sim conflicts with the other x.exe's   You are GOOD to go....

Only thing to keep in mind is with P3D your going to have to repurchase some add ons eg PMDG and Now the next version has ORBX charging for installers. Go both if you have the space

ZORAN

Thanks much for the advice, folks! I'll go forward with FSX:SE and P3D 3.2.

DennyA
Fake planes flown: MSFS / P3D v4.x / FSX / X-Plane 11 / Aerofly FS2 / IL-2 / DCS / FlightSafety 737-200 full-motion (Aloha 243 cockpit) / a zillion old sims
Real planes flown: Mooney 231, Cessna 310, F-15D (back seat), T-34B (front seat) 

Ancient computer magazines I wrote about flight sims for: Computer Gaming World, Computer Games/Strategy+, Compute!, AmigaWorld
Rig: Core i9-13900K, RTX 4090, 32GB, HP Reverb G2, Winwing HOTAS and Turtle Beach pedals