Sign in to follow this  
davidfein

Switching from App to V/S on approach

Instead of letting autoland land the plane I like to either handfly or use V/S to manually control the decent rate. Once the APP mode has locked and started the descend down the glide slope, how can you turn APP mode off and switch to use V/S to manually control the decent rate?

Thanks,

David

Instead of letting autoland land the plane I like to either handfly or use V/S to manually control the decent rate. Once the APP mode has locked and started the descend down the glide slope, how can you turn APP mode off and switch to use V/S to manually control the decent rate?

Hi, David,

For hand flying the final approach, turn off the autopilot and autothrottle if desired.  For deactivating MCP approach mode, try turning off the autopilot and both  FDs.  Then turn the autopilot back on and select V/S.   I don't recommend switching to V/S after localizer & GS have been captured but this should work.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

how can you turn APP mode off and switch to use V/S to manually control the decent rate?

Why would you...?

David

Full names in the forum please - first and last.

Kyle Rodgers

My thoughts exactly... why??  Don't fuss with the buttons switches and dials if you have visual on the runway, just fly the airplane. More importantly, pay attention to flying when on approach.  Either you are hand flying or you are on a coupled approach using the A/P.  The FD makes handflying as easy as it can get.

Dan Downs KCRP

In reading a lot of posts like this, I always get the feeling that some people seem very apprehensive to actually taking control of the aircraft, especially in the landing phase.

I'm not sure why that is, but I am assuming that when some folks take delivery of the T7 or other PMDG prodcuts, when they do their initial flight, rather than learning to hand fly the plane and get a feel for it, the first thing they do is hit the autopilot and then over time try to ween themselves off of using the autopilot. Which of course does against conventional wisdom, learn to hand fly the aircraft first and become proficient at it, then learn to use the autopilot to lessen the work load.

Just my opinion and observation.

Sean Campbell

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

@ davidfein

First you have to determine if you're above or at or below 1500ft RA.

If above, just  push APP Sw. a second time:  you should revers to basic mode; i.e., HDG|TRK SEL (Roll Mode) and V/S|FPA (Pitch Mode); then what you need to do is to select LOC.

If at or below 1500 ft RA it gets a little more tricky:

1. A/P - Disengage
  2. F/D (Both) -OFF then ON
  3. A/P -ON
  4. Engage Lateral and Vertical Mode

But the question is: Why would you do it at this stage; it's better (= safer) to go around.

Finally, if what you  wanna do is just a manual landing, what about simply disconnecting the A/P (through the disengage switch) and keep on following the ILS?

My nickel.

Pinko Palla

• Upvote 1

I think Pinko's answer is the best one. He told the OP how to do what he's asking for, and he also told him that what he's asking for might not be appropriate in the first place.

There's a way of switching to a parallel runway during final approach using the AP. It involves turning it off, cycling the FDs, changing the ILS freq, arming APP again... I've seen a real pilot do it and honestly I believe it's a fuss, much easier to just handfly her down.

I can't think of a reason for switching from APP to V/S.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

I can't think of a reason for switching from APP to V/S.

Except that GA mode is, initially at least, a VS mode. So if you select GA from APP you are indirectly selecting a vertical speed.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Except that GA mode is, initially at least, a VS mode. So if you select GA from APP you are indirectly selecting a vertical speed.

Correct! If you push the TOGA button ONCE, the aircraft will seek 2000 fpm. If you push it TWICE; it will then go full thrust.

But the OP meant, I believe, switching from APP to VS and CONTINUE the approach to land... Can't see the reason why.

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Nothing against the mode itself. My own questioning of it was the applicability of it. It doesn't seem entirely appropriate to drop to a more primitive method for flying an approach.

Kyle Rodgers