Sign in to follow this  
Denco

VOR problem ( Help needed )

Hi,

I'm slowly switching from FSX to Xplane. Because the ATC in xplane sucks I've decided to learn VOR and NDB navigation. 

Yesterday I did a flight between VOR's 115.10 and 117.30. Upon arriving to my first VOR I entered my second VOR into my NAV panel. The problem was that I did not received a morse code confirmation even though the frequency was correct. I tried switching to a different VOR ( Can't remember the freq ) to which I received a morse code but the needle on my CDI did not reflect the change and was still stuck to my old VOR. This was on the freeware Let L-410.

I tried another test with Carenado's cessna C340. The problem was the same although after a while of switching I managed to get a morse code confirmation but again the needle was stuck not reflecting any change. Am I doing something wrong or is the VOR navigation bugged?

Second thing is with the NDB. I was testing this with carenado's B58. When I enter the NDB frequency into the ADF panel and press the ADF button nothing happens. When I move my mouse onto the ADF button it doesn't change its shape. Same with C340.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Hi,

I'm slowly switching from FSX to Xplane. Because the ATC in xplane sucks I've decided to learn VOR and NDB navigation. 

Yesterday I did a flight between VOR's 115.10 and 117.30. Upon arriving to my first VOR I entered my second VOR into my NAV panel. The problem was that I did not received a morse code confirmation even though the frequency was correct. I tried switching to a different VOR ( Can't remember the freq ) to which I received a morse code but the needle on my CDI did not reflect the change and was still stuck to my old VOR. This was on the freeware Let L-410.

I tried another test with Carenado's cessna C340. The problem was the same although after a while of switching I managed to get a morse code confirmation but again the needle was stuck not reflecting any change. Am I doing something wrong or is the VOR navigation bugged?

Second thing is with the NDB. I was testing this with carenado's B58. When I enter the NDB frequency into the ADF panel and press the ADF button nothing happens. When I move my mouse onto the ADF button it doesn't change its shape. Same with C340.

VOR to VOR, NDB navigation works fine.

Equipment available on the aircraft, how to send morse audio to the speakers, how to switch active/standby frequencies, single or double NAV capability etc. is about every aircraft specific design/operation dependent not related vor/ndb navigation by itself.

Unfortunately i do not own any of those aircraft you mentioned.

-have you been on proper VOR range when you tried 117.30 (i.e. VOR have different range based on ground equipment power, range could vary from 40NM to +200NM)? did you enter it on the Garmin? did you set it to active?

-Maybe your neddle did't move because you were looking at NAV2 not NAV1 or you were in GPS mode, you have to press CDI.

Maybe you should use default C172 to learn/master your navigation background, then any aircraft will be the same except how you operate the avionics.

Trying to learn on a complex avionics bird will mess concept/background vs aircraft avionic's specific operation.

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

Unfortunately i do not own any of those aircraft you mentioned.

You should try the Let L-410, its freeware and very nicely done. Best freeware plane I've flown.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/22160-let-l-410-for-x-plane-1045/&page=4&tab=comments

-have you been on proper VOR range when you tried 117.30 (i.e. VOR have different range based on ground equipment power, range could vary from 40NM to +200NM)? did you enter it on the Garmin? did you set it to active?

I was thinking something like this could be the issue but I wasn't sure if the range of VOR is limited differently. 

-Maybe your neddle did't move because you were looking at NAV2 not NAV1 or you were in GPS mode, you have to press CDI.

Maybe you should use default C172 to learn/master your navigation background, then any aircraft will be the same except how you operate the avionics.

Trying to learn on a complex avionics bird will mess concept/background vs aircraft avionic's specific operation.

Nah, I was double checking everything just in case. I've installed Carenado's 172 and will try it again tomorrow.

Thx for a reply.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Depending on the type of VOR, the range will differ quite a lot. XP seems to model lower ranges that normal in my experience

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Depending on the type of VOR, the range will differ quite a lot. XP seems to model lower ranges that normal in my experience

This is not about xplane

The information comes from the database file /xplane 10/custom data/earth_nav.dat (txt file). You can also update the navdata via navigraph or aerosoft paid subscription to have latest information available (fix, waypoints, sid, star, airports, runways, ndb, etc. etc.)

if you textedit that file, you search the VOR ID of your interest, format for reading is:

-latitude

-longitude

-altitude

-frequency xxxxx (with no decimal . separator)

-range in NM

-magnetic declination

-ID

-Name

note: do not confuse VOR range with DME attached to a VOR for distance reading. The DME reading is always shorter because it is UHF signal while the VOR is VHF and the signal goes farther away. Just like in real life.

• Upvote 1

Manuel Merelles

I did another flight tonight between 3 VOR's and it worked great. Maybe I miss looked something in my previous flights.

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

I've always enjoyed VOR navigation.

In real life not so much (wastes fuel), but in the sim, it's fun to do it the old fashioned way. Especially without DME.

I was one of the few who actually enjoyed NDB approaches in my training. But I'm glad we've got better ways now.