Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

FSX:SE crashes after a while when going windowed mode...

I've even upgraded to the latest release of Nvidia drivers - 365.10 - but whenever I try to bring my FSX: SE session to windowed mode, or ALT-Tab to access other applications, after a while I get a CTD...

There are no specific logs on the event viewer ( windows 10 64 bit here ).

Also, the window can not be positioned where I want it to... I used to place it from the top of the screen, in 1920 x 560, and use WindowsBorderlessGamming to use FSX:SE with Aerowinx PSX, but I can no longer do it :-( because it disappears whenever I change to the PSX window... and after a while FSX:SE crashes...

Any hints ?

Thx!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Welcome to the new world of Microsoft's Windows 10.  According to MS, Windows 10 is the greatest, most secure and most reliable OS since God.

BS still reigns at MS.

I hope you find an answer.  If you do, post it in these forums please, as others will surely want to know the answer.

Contact MS support for help - and good luck with that.

If Windows 10 was truly a problem for running a flight simulator, everyone would be having an issue. :)

I do not believe Windows 10 is the culprit, although if you do not have Windows 10 configured correctly (i.e. security settings), then you may incure inssues, but with regards to the OP's issue, I would track it back to compatibility with Windows 10.  Two apps mentioned in the OP's post have me thinking that they may not play well in the environment the OP has set up.  I would also consider that the latest nvidia driver could be causing an issue too.  I would suggest to the OP to rollback the graphics driver to the 361.XX drivers and see if that makes a difference. I would then proceed with just starting FSX without any of those mentioned add-ons to see if the sim is stable.  If it is, then re-introduce each app, one at a time, making sure to run the sim and then see if and when the issue reoccurs.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This is a known bug with FSX as far as I know when using Alt+Tab.  Never ever use Alt+Tab in Full Screen mode.  It will get really ugly and you will be cursing out-loud.  :smile:  You should only use Alt-Enter to go from Windowed to Full Screen mode.  You can easily access other tasks on your desktop in Windowed mode.

Best regards,

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thx Jim!

I actually meant ALT-ENTER, but wrote ALT-Tab... sorry :-/

Whichever I use it results in FSX:SE crashing, sooner or latter...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...