Sign in to follow this  
TheFlightSimGuy

Does SODE and FSDT integration spell the end of AES?

I own both FSDT products and a few AES sceneries. Of course there is the debate between GSX and the recurring cost of AES, but I dont want to go there. More specifically, there is a video below that added to my questions about the value of AES. From what I understand SODE allows for all the airframe doors to be docked to a jetbridge and allows control of multiple jetbridges. This was really the only remaining feature AES seemed to have that was lucrative to some users. Is there still any benefit to AES now that airport developers are starting to integrate SODE into their sceneries and GSX remains globally operational? 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

For me as a P3D user, the only thing I hope is that upcoming sceneries will include more and more SODE jetways, IF FSDT manages to integrate it into GSX. So far, I still have the impression that some sceneries released by the publisher Aerosoft does not contain any other jetway animation system besides AES simply to further support AES. For me, this is perfectly fine regarding FSX, but totally inacceptable regarding P3D and I really hope, that SODE gets a broader acceptance in the community of scenery designers as soon as GSX has it included.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

For me, this is perfectly fine regarding FSX, but totally inacceptable regarding P3D and I really hope, that SODE gets a broader acceptance in the community of scenery designers as soon as GSX has it included.

Why is it "unacceptable" for P3D but ok for FSX?

• Upvote 1

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Because the fact that Aerosoft seems to force the designers to depend their moving jetways only on AES results in sceneries1), that have no moving jetways at all in P3D. I mean, at least the basic jetway animation system should be working, it makes no sense that you completely abandon moving jetways in P3D only because you want to focus on AES. However, in FSX, you have at least the chance to use AES, in P3D this option is not even existent.

1) I know this is not entirely correct, yet releases like the new Berlin Tegel gives this impression...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

From what I understand SODE allows for all the airframe doors to be docked to a jetbridge and allows control of multiple jetbridges.

Do you or anyone else know if this integrated update has been released? I thought I read somewhere that it would be when KMEM is released. Is this accurate? I'm dying to get my hands on this - can't wait to use both GSX and SODE. Until now, they were completely incompatible. This will be a game changer at Imaginesim KATL

Do you or anyone else know if this integrated update has been released? I thought I read somewhere that it would be when KMEM is released. Is this accurate? I'm dying to get my hands on this - can't wait to use both GSX and SODE. Until now, they were completely incompatible. This will be a game changer at Imaginesim KATL

Jetway control has never been integrated in GSX, so while SODE jetways also won't be integrated, I don't see how they would be completely incompatible?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Jetway control has never been integrated in GSX, so while SODE jetways also won't be integrated, I don't see how they would be completely incompatible?

I guess by incompatible, I meant, when I park the a/c and initialize SODE, jetway docks (assuming it is properly configured with the door locations, etc. which has also been a huge pain). Then, when I initiate GSX, the SODE jetway disappears. I believe the only one that disappears is the one at the active gate. 

Why is it "unacceptable" for P3D but ok for FSX?

Because AES doesn't even work for P3D..? (not even for FSX Steam for that matter...)

For me a factor is that GSX utilizes Couatl - which has been hell to live with in my experience; causing constant crashes, 'updating' repeatedly (during simulation), and a host of other problems.    AES does involve a recurring cost, but personally I find it far superior to GSX, and to me, the cost is worth it.   And it just works.... with no couatl!! :smile:

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

For me a factor is that GSX utilizes Couatl - which has been hell to live with in my experience; causing constant crashes, 'updating' repeatedly (during simulation), and a host of other problems.    AES does involve a recurring cost, but personally I find it far superior to GSX, and to me, the cost is worth it.   And it just works.... with no couatl!! :smile:

GSX is a much more complete product and more immersive then AES. It actually loads baggage and cargo loaders, deices based on actual weather conditions, etc.AES just puts the loaders in place. The only real advantage to AES is support for airports using non standard Jetways, and then only those it supports and you purchased credits for. Also gone are the days of erratic pushbacks in GSX . They are much more stable and gives you the ability to define custom push back procedures, and includes a set for there own airports. One nice feature  it now does, is remember what ground services you used at point of origin. For example You could be a BA 777 departing EGLL using BA Ground services, flying to KDFW using AA Ground Services, When you unload the cargo containers, Ground service equipment will be AA, but the containers themselves will be the same BA containers loaded on at EGLL. I do agree with you Couatl sometimes do get annoying. It does crash every once in a while. When it does it's always when first starting up. If the initial load is ok your good for the whole session. I have a theory why it happens. When it does it always crashes twice. I think there's some cases where it tries to load itself twice, which it doesn't like. I suggested this to FSDT support, and they pretty much shot me down, but the problem was never solved and continues to happen every once in a while.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

To be honest, since the arrival of GSX, I'm not entirely sure how AES has survived this long.  Pushbacks from every airport in the world as opposed to EUR15 for a few credits to do the same thing from maybe three airports, before having to stump down another EUR15!  If there was ever a rip-off product AES was/is it.

Well I can report that KMEM is incredible, SODE is awesome, and the way FSDT integrated it shows their commitment. It's a must have, and if this doesn't spell the end of AES, I don't know what will.

Josh Daniels-Johannson