Sign in to follow this  
satbeerus2001

Setting up initial altitude on MCP without ATC

Hello friends and experts,

Introducing myself as a nonpilot enthusiast who is back to flying fsx after 2007. Please bear with me if I make any mistakes or ask anything silly enough.

I am learning to fly my favorite pmdg 777.

Since fsx default ATC does not guide SIDs and STARs, I am planning to fly without ATC for now. So what initial altitude should I set on MCP ?

Had I used ATC, I think they would have suggested initial climb. But without ATC what should I keep as my initial Altitude?

That leads to second confusion, when and what to do to override the MCP altitude and let the VNAV climb to next restrictions all the way upto cruising altitude?

Please give me your inputs and oblige.

Many thanks

Satbeer Singh

Flight Sim Enthusiast

SID: The minimum altitudes of the SID.

Example

Look at the charts. http://www.rocketroute.com/airports/europe-eu/greece-gr/metar-odysseaselytis-lgmt.html

SID: LSV1A and LSV1B.

It says that you must cross LSV VOR, at or above 4500ft

I don't know how fsx atc works, but if you have clearance for , lets say, LSV 1A departure you also have clearance for 4500 ft even if the controller has not given you initial altidute

STAR:

For simulator without atc, at or above the minimum altitudes of the STAR. For the online simulation in Vatsim or IVAO or in real life, if you have a STAR clearance, you DO NOT have clearance for the minimum altidudes of the STAR unless the controller said so.

VNAV:

MCP altitude  is a restriction to VNAV profile. Set MCP to next altitude constrain or to cruising altitude.

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

LGMT

https://aviation4all.wordpress.com/

Emmanuel, thank you for your prompt response. It is very helpful.

Should I have more confusions, I might shoot them here hoping you will have answers to them as well.

Happy flying!

Thanks again

Satbeer Singh

Introducing myself as a nonpilot enthusiast who is back to flying fsx after 2007. Please bear with me if I make any mistakes or ask anything silly enough.
If you have not flown Tutorial 1 or read the Introduction Manual, consider doing that first. There is a lot of useful information in both documents.

Please give me your inputs

Arrival or departures?  For departures, I either set my initial cruising altitude or the restriction in the SID (highest, not lowest as suggested).  For arrivals, I usually set depending on if I am flying or VNAV is doing the work.

Ditto what Mike said. Fly the tutorials.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan and Michael for your response.

I have read the manuals and tutorials. Still keep getting confused at several points. Some areas in those literature are just a little difficult for me to understand.

Thanks again

Satbeer

I have read the manuals and tutorials. Still keep getting confused at several points. Some areas in those literature are just a little difficult for me to understand.

If you need any help with the Tutorials, just ask in a new post/thread. I feel there will be plenty of answers.

Per forum rules first and last name should appear on all posts. You can set it up so that is done automatically. Try this - click on your user name in upper right corner, click on My Profile, click on Edit My Profile, click on Signature, in Edit Signature enter your first and last name, click save  and your name will be on all of your posts. Your first and last name will be on all posts just like Dan Downs and my name

Emmanuel, thank you for your prompt response. It is very helpful.

Should I have more confusions, I might shoot them here hoping you will have answers to them as well.

Happy flying!

Thanks again

Satbeer Singh

You don't need me.

You need this: http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/instrument_procedures_handbook/

page(3-16):

"Pilots  may  have noticed  that  minimum  crossing  altitudes  and  airspeed  

restrictions  appear  on  some  STARs.  These  expected  

altitudes and airspeeds are not part of the clearance until

ATC includes them verbally. A STAR is simply a published

routing;  it  does  not  have  the  force  of  a  clearance  until  

issued specifically by ATC."

page(1-36)

"SID  altitudes  can  be  charted  in  four  different  ways.  The  

first  are  mandatory  altitudes,  the  second,  minimum  

altitudes, the third, maximum altitudes and the fourth is a

combination of minimum and maximum altitudes or also

referred to as block altitudes. Below are examples of how

each will be shown on a SID approach plate........."

Another very good book is http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_details.jsp?id=prod915

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

Emmanuel Argiropoulos

LGMT

https://aviation4all.wordpress.com/