Sign in to follow this  
RW1

GTX 1080 Thermal Throttling Issues(Stock)

It`s seems you will probably need a waterblock for cooling, take a look at this review. i for one will wait for the Asus ROG GTX 1080TI Poseidon, because with stock cooling either you will burn your fan out running it at 80% + or will not enjoy the full clock speeds that Nvidia have promised.

tpewpb-6.png

Burn out a reference fan?

I have had reference cards all my life (won't buy any other) and besides being quieter than aftermarket fans, they never failed on me. Cooler quality is also much higher than those so-called 'better' cards like STRIX and such.

It all depends on where you put it (case type, size, temperature, etc), but if you clean it up regularly like i do (like every 3 months) they'll last you a lifetime. I have a 980 for 2 years now, looks brand new.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Reference cards always run hot.

Burn out a reference fan?

The issue is not the temp here, it shows in the video, it is the throttling back of the clock speeds to base after the temps reach 83 C, so therefore anyone wanting to utilise the gpu boost up to what Nvidia have stated the 1080 will clock at will not happen for very long, so in essence you will need extra cooling on a ref card. and i doubt anyone could run their fan at 80% or higher for years without it dying.

tpewpb-6.png

Well the TDP is only 180W. Non-reference air cooler designs will be able to handle that without issue.

The problem is that reference coolers are never very good. This doesn't change just because you call the cards "Founder's Edition" and sell them at a premium price.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

and i doubt anyone could run their fan at 80% or higher for years without it dying.

I've had an NH-D14 with fans running at 100% for many years, since the D14 was released actually. Doesn't matter if it's a CPU cooler fan or a GPU cooler fan, fans are designed to be able to run 100% for the lifespan quoted by the manufacturer. It's an non issue. By the time a fan running at 100% failed, you would have replaced your graphics card. It's not a car engine constantly being over revved, constantly running at 6000 RPM... it's a fan! In the days before PWM, fans commonly ran at 100%.

I have had reference cards all my life (won't buy any other) and besides being quieter than aftermarket fans, 

Not true at all, in fact that comment is diametrically opposed to the truth! Not sure what you are basing that comment on, probably one example you heard of sometime.

If you "won't buy any other" then you have missed out massively. The entire purpose of the non-reference design is to manufacture a faster and quieter card.

Reference card fans are generally not quieter than aftermarket fans. The reference designs are the basic card, the basic design and the basic cooling. Companies like EVGA for example go to a lot of trouble to "improve" the reference design. For example, try comparing the 980TI reference design with EVGA's fantastic alternative. The EVGA cards are faster, and cooler thanks to the ASX 2.0 cooler. And yes, quieter than the reference design. That applies to most non-reference designs. 

The problem is that reference coolers are never very good. This doesn't change just because you call the cards "Founder's Edition" and sell them at a premium price.

Precisely! I've said a number of times lately, I won't consider the reference design for a second. Anyone who is wise, will wait for companies like EVGA to improve the design and improve the cooling. Then you can pull the trigger.

it's early days yet.

• Upvote 1

Agree with you Martin.

All the latest Nvidia reference Cards have weak VRM compared to Evga Asus with Non reference PCB.

Ex compare a Evga 980ti kingpin ed with the Titan X , the TitanX vrm very weak get very hot even with no OC

The 1080 reference have weak cooling and VRM , hope that Evga realease a card soon with 8 +6 power connectors and a by pass for 1.25v gpu vcore and good cooling.

I was about to get myself a ref card this afternoon, but I guess I will follow martin-w wise advice (for the second time this month :P).

I just hope EVGA's acx3.0 will release soon. Iam standing up on the brakes since months now avoiding a 980ti purchase now avoiding ref 1080 purchase-  what's next to avoid ;)

On the EVGA website, GTX 1080 - GTX 1080 SC - GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 FTW.

http://eu.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1080

Adjustable RGB lighting... very flashy!

08G-P4-6286-KR_MD_1.jpg

For we in the UK, £597 at Scan.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/evga-geforce-gtx-1080-ftw-gaming-acx-30-8gb-gddr5x-2560-core-vr-ready-graphics-card-with-rgb-led-lig

i still plan on waiting on the 1080ti, i own the 980ti now, i just don't see enough jump in performance to upgrade,i can't think of a single game that would use 8 gigs of vram,i have x-plane 10 almost maxed out and it hover's around 4gb,i will see what the 1080ti brings.

i still plan on waiting on the 1080ti, i own the 980ti now, i just don't see enough jump in performance to upgrade,i can't think of a single game that would use 8 gigs of vram,i have x-plane 10 almost maxed out and it hover's around 4gb,i will see what the 1080ti brings.

Yep, me too Brett. I have an EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified for my build. Maybe if and when the 1080 Ti arrives I might be tempted.