Sign in to follow this  
dever23b

Circuits: Possible bugs - go arounds, full stop logic

Hello:

Firstly, thank you for the enhancements to the circuit logic (specifically, adding a valid response to the landing checklist challenge with regard to the speedbrake not being armed)!  It will certainly be nice not to have to say "set and checked" now-- I always feel like such a failure when I can't remember the proper response to a challenge :P

I was doing some touch and goes today and discovered that I'm quite rusty!  In the process, I think I may have discovered two bugs.

The first situation pertains to go arounds.  Unfortunately, I had to execute a few.  When I announce my go around, the FO handles it properly, announces positive rate, I call for gear, etc.  However, and forgive me, I'm not sure of -exactly- which step triggers it, I noticed that FS2Crew consistently disregarded the fact that I was doing circuits.  After I got the aircraft flying again, each time, I observed that FS2Crew had reverted to "normal flight" logic, and thusly was waiting for its trigger to execute the after-takeoff flow and then bug me about releasing the flight attendants.  So, each time I executed a go around, I had to pull FS2Crew back up, skip through all of the interim phases of flight and back to Landing Checklist, then I had to go reset the approach type to "Touch And Go."  This didn't seem like intended behavior.

Secondly, when all was said and done, I couldn't "exit" the circuit logic.  In the past, the landing logic depended on the position of the speedbrake (down detent = touch and go; armed = full stop).  I'm not sure if this logic has changed, and the change didn't make it to the manual, or if this is a bug, but once I decided to finish up with my circuits, when I armed the speedbrake, it did not seem to have the same effect anymore.  I played around (while on downwind) with arming it, going back to down detent, fully extending, etc, but every time I said "cleared," I got the same "no brakes, no reverse, touch and go" response.  I also attempted messing with the autobrake setting to see if that would affect it, to no avail.  Interestingly enough, though, once I actually touched down, the FO didn't pull the flaps on me like I was expecting.  Somewhere along the line, it figured out I didn't intend to depart anymore and left the flaps out at their landing setting.

I hope these descriptions give you enough to go on.  Thanks again!

When modelling circuits I never really thought of people doing go arounds in the circuit.

Basically all you'll need to do (I think), is manually set the Approach type back to Circuits on the Approach Brief page after the go-around.

Same thing with exiting circuit logic.  Deselect Circuits on the Approach Brief page.

Cheers,

When modelling circuits I never really thought of people doing go arounds in the circuit.

Basically all you'll need to do (I think), is manually set the Approach type back to Circuits on the Approach Brief page after the go-around.

Same thing with exiting circuit logic.  Deselect Circuits on the Approach Brief page.

Cheers,

Okay.  I just wanted you to know it wasn't working as expected.  We used to be able to "finish" circuits by arming the speedbrakes (that's consistent with what the manual currently says); that doesn't seem to work anymore.  Also, I don't intend to argue with you on the commonality of go-arounds, but .. wouldn't it make more sense to go straight to the landing checklist after the takeoff checklist when in a go-around?  Currently, it progresses to the descent checklist, as if you're doing a normal departure climbout.

wouldn't it make more sense to go straight to the landing checklist after the takeoff checklist when in a go-around?

No, because what if you are going to the alternate airport...  it could be aways away.