Sign in to follow this  
Jetguy87

At my wit's end ... ntdll.dll and FSX-SE

Hi all,

Long-time lurker, second-time poster.  For the past year or so, I've been having regular CTDs of my FSX-SE install, usually fatal errors, and most often citing NTDLL.DLL as the faulty module (others, though not as frequent, have included terrain.dll, g3d.dll, etc.).  I've been able to resolve them on specific recurring flights (e.g., where the crash would happen at a certain point on the same flight and the same aircraft) through various means, including (but not limited to):

• Switching from FSX to FSX-SE;
  • Deleting my fsx.cfg, rewriting it and then changing certain key settings (e.g., display, wideview, and others) back to where they were, but leaving everything else the same; and
  • Reverting to the 2012 schedule in MyTraffic X (MTX) 5.4c (after reading that this could be an issue in the AVSIM CTD guide).

Each of these has fixed the problem temporarily before it rears its ugly head again.  Most recently, I did the MTX fix above after continually getting crashes in the same place on a KDCA-KORD flight using a freeware 737-700.  But when I wanted to do a KDCA-KMVY flight on the JF XP 800A this weeked, the sim consistently crashes at about the same point (right after I reach cruising altitude, and just about to cross the MD-DE border).  I tried deleting and rewriting the fsx.cfg this morning, but even that didn't fix it (I've been able to replicate this crash four times, both before and after the attempted cfg fix). 

My specs are below:

• Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 Ghz
  • 16G RAM
  • NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (344.16 drivers)
  • WIN 7 64 Bit SP1
  • FSX-SE is installed on a 100 GB SSD, but with all addons is taking up almost the entire disk.  The install includes:
    • REX Essential Plus Overdrive
    • FTX Global + Vectors
    • MyTrafficX 5.4c (running Autumn 2012 schedule; see above)
    • Various payware and freeware aircraft and sceneries.

I've had a look at the CTD Guide and searched these forums, but none of the fixes I've tried seem to work.  It looks like my returns and possible fixes are dwindling, so here I am... anyone have any pointers on what's going on and how I can resolve this?  I really just want to enjoy my sim and don't have hours upon end to explore these issues.  Here's the most recent crashlog:

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error
Date:          5/29/2016 10:06:43 AM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      Ron-Desktop
Description:
Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62615.0, time stamp: 0x559f9a9a
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23418, time stamp: 0x5708a73e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00033a0e
Faulting process id: 0xd4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1b9b03f270bda
Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 91ca8cf7-25a6-11e6-92b7-d43d7efc2068
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-29T14:06:43.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>12264</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>Ron-Desktop</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.62615.0</Data>
    <Data>559f9a9a</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>6.1.7601.23418</Data>
    <Data>5708a73e</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00033a0e</Data>
    <Data>d4c</Data>
    <Data>01d1b9b03f270bda</Data>
    <Data>D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>91ca8cf7-25a6-11e6-92b7-d43d7efc2068</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Many thanks in advance to the much more experienced and smarter FSX wizards here who might be able to take a look and advise!  A lot of drinks are on me if you are able to get my sim running...  :drinks:

J.

Hello. I had this problem for awhile. 2 things cleared it up. 1, if you have any FSDT products, reinstall the latest ad-on manager, then, remove your dll.xml config and let it rebuild. There was an entry in there that was stopping an add on from running. haven't had that error ever since. hope that helps.

mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Ron,

Given all that you've tried, I'd go ahead and bite the bullet and perform a uninstall of FSX and then reinstall.  Along with that, I'd uninstall all of your FSX Products before reinstalling FSX.  This should get rid of the problem.  There is a procedure for doing this HERE.

Best wishes.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

There is no known fix for this error.  The fixes are generic and do not apply to everyone.  The AVSIM CTD Guide, latest version, provides possible causes and solutions.  These were obtained by searching all of the flight simulator websites and taking the most common solutions found.  For anyone to find a fix would only be a guess. 

I agree with Dave but I would go a step further and reinstall Windows.  But, before you do, I would try the fix for a corrupted user profile (see page 21 of the AVSIM CTD Guide).

This error is mostly related with corrupted or outdated hardware drivers or a system file being corrupted or missing.

I also see that you have MyTrafficX 5.4c installed which is known to cause this error for many.  Members like me had to revert to 5.4b to fix the problem.  But this is one of the solutions shown in the AVSIM CTD Guides, page 34, and you stated you have tried everything in the guide with no success.  But still, I would simply disable MyTrafficX in your scenery library and see if the error reoccurs.  If not, then going back to 5.4b is the fix.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks so much, Mike, Dave and Jim.  

Jim -- I have tried the MyTraffic fix (by going back to the 2012 schedules, which I understand is functionally equivalent to 5.4b), to no avail.  In order to try everything before a complete reinstall, I started out by following Mike's advice above: reinstalling the FSDT Addon Manager and removing the dll.xml file as instructed, and then ran the same flight.  It seems to have done the trick -- I was able to complete the flight with no crashes!

However, there is now a new problem -- the Addon Manager has disappeared from my drop-down menu, along with other addons (FSUIPC, AccuFeel, etc.), and AccuFeel, for example, appears to have been disabled -- the effects are gone.  I checked the correct folder, and it appears that dll.xml has not been rebuilt.  However, I am wary of simply popping it back in there, given the earlier problems.  To make matters worse, the buildings in my only FSDT addon (LSGG) have disappeared.  Any idea how to fix these new problems?  Can I just simply place the dll.xml file back in there?

EDIT and UPDATE: I popped the dll.xml back in and surely enough, the above problems were resolved.  I haven't been able to run a test of the same flight that kept crashing but will do so when I get a moment.  I did notice that the xml.dll has been updated (byt date and time) since I installed the new addon manager. 

Jetguy,

I might have listed that backwards, I think I moved the dll file,then installed FSDT add on mgr. The add on mgr creates a fresh dll.

Ooops! I hope you get back up and flying!

Mike

TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)MOTHERBOARD 
AMD Ryzen 5 5900X CPU-LIQUID COOLED
AMD RADEON RX 6900 XT
32GB RAM G-SKILL TRIDENT Z
SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO 2TB

Addon Manager and removing the dll.xml file as instructed, and then ran the same flight. It seems to have done the trick -- I was able to complete the flight with no crashes!

If you remove the dll.xml, the addon manager will not load.  Couatl will not load either.  You may be on the right track but you need to place the dll.xml back into the folder where your fsx-se.cfg is located and see if that fixes the problem.  The fact that you ran fsx-se with no crashes strongly indicates there IS an issue with one of the modules in the dll.xml. 

I have tried the MyTraffic fix (by going back to the 2012 schedules, which I understand is functionally equivalent to 5.4b), to no avail.

That is partially true but 5.4c did not update the schedules from 2012.  You had to go to the website and manually download and install the 2013 schedules (which I think has the bad guys).  No, there was something else installed when he upgraded from 5.4b to 5.4c.  Your only fix is to uninstall 5.4c and reinstall 5.4b. 

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So, having placed the dll.xml file back in the directory, the sim crashes at exactly the same spot.  I'll try deleting it and letting the Addon Manager write a new one (in the correct order as advised by Mike above), but short of that I'm guessing that the only real solution here is a total reinstall.

Jim -- would the MyTraffic 5.4b install fix a problem with the dll.xml, or are these two different issues, in your mind?

Sounds like you have exactly the same problem I had with MyTrafficX.  A quick check to see if it is causing the problem is to disable MyTraffic in your scenery.cfg.  If the sim continues beyond the same point of the previous crashes, then you know it is MyTrafficX and a schedule.

Jim -- would the MyTraffic 5.4b install fix a problem with the dll.xml, or are these two different issues, in your mind?

MyTrafficX has no entries whatsoever in the dll.xml.  Just an entry in the scenery.cfg.  All modules inside the dll.xml are loaded at startup, before you even get to the setup screen.  Most crashes involving the dll.xml happen at startup. 

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I also had ntdll.dll crashes a couple of years ago which were driving me mad but I managed to solve them and it wasn't necessary to uninstall and reinstall Windows or FSX.

Fortunately i was running Project Magenta glass cockpit software on a separate PC so I could see the exact position FSX was crashing - 13nm from the DIK VOR in Belgium on a heading of 137°. I loaded a FSUIPC autosave flight a few minutes before the crash and bingo, it crashed again.

I set MyTrafficX Ai to zero and tried the flight again. This time no crash so it was definitely related to MTX. I gave my time of flight, heading and distance from the DIK waypoint to Burkhard and he was able to identify and fix the problem. It was a corrupted texture file on an Ai aircraft. Simple as that.

So if you are able to replicate the crash try the above and it may fix things for you with minimal effort.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Many thanks, Jim and Ray.  I had a chance to run some further tests, and it's all resolved, but rather strange as to how I got there...

As noted above, I first wanted to try reinstalling the Addon Manager before trying to disable MyTraffic X, just to get the order of rewriting the dll.xml.  So I deleted the dll.xml, but then when I fired up the installer for Addon Manager, it said that I didn't have FSX-SE installed (all sims were grayed out), which led me to think it was strange, so I went to the folder (AppData/Roaming/Microsoft) where the FSX folder was supposed to be -- but the FSX folder was gone!

This all seemed quite strange, and I had no idea how it had happened -- maybe I had deleted the folder instead of just deleting dll.xml?  In any event, I had already emptied out my Recycle Bin, so I was in double trouble.  I then decided to run a System Restore to an earlier date, and voila, the FSX folder was back.  But it was mostly empty.  So I ran FSX-SE once, and it built the directory.  Then, I installed the Addon Manager anew.  But the new dll.xml that it generated was empty, which meant that the addons that had been missing earlier (AccuFeel, the buildings at LSGG, etc.) were gone again.

So I got creative, and pasted in the entries from the old dll.xml into the new one.  I felt like it wouldn't help much, and surely enough, FSX was still crashing.  BUT -- it was a different kind of CTD: rather than an ntdll.dll fatal error in the same geographical location (as described in the earlier posts to this thread), the sim started hanging as soon as I engaged time compression (after I had reached cruising altitude, etc.).  And when I checked the System Viewer, the reason was that the application had stopped communicating with Windows (I'm typing this up on a different computer, so I do not have the log offhand).

Then, due to timing constraints, I had to take a few days away and got back to it tonight.  I started by deactivating MTX in the Scenery Library, and surely enough, the flight went off without a hitch.  But then, I figured I would check, for comprehensiveness' sake, what would happen when I turned MTX back on.  And much to my surprise, everything worked!  Traffic was on, no ntdll.dll crash, no hanging, and time compression worked!

So I'm truly flabbergasted.  My guess is that, in turning MTX on and off, maybe that fixed whatever error was lurking under the hood.  I know I should just be happy with the fact that it works (and I am!), but do you, or anyone else here, know how these problems might have gotten fixed?  ("problems," given that there were different kinds of crashes, linked to different events, and different points in the same flight.)  

I'm anxious that one of these -- or a similar type of CTD issue will pop up again... but for know, am just knocking on wood and hoping that this'll run well for a while...

Jetguy,

I don't know what fixed your problem but the fact it appears fixed is good news.

One thing that struck me is you don't appear to have a backup you can restore from. I would really recommend you backup your system. I use Aomei Backupper (free for home users) and it's proved invaluable when I've needed to restore the occasional file.

You can download it here. http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would really recommend you backup your system

I agree with Ray, the heartaches endured when add-ons or bad luck mess up the system are evident almost everyday on AVSIM. I use Acronis - you can get a legit activation code from ebay for £2 ($3), they come from cruicial SSD's that were shipped with them, but never got used for whatever reason.

This is from ebay UK - the code is sent by email, so it doesn't matter where you're based. You download the prog from the link provided, put in the 16 digit code, then Acronis (after registration) send you a 64 digit code that activates the prog. It's a lite version, all the important stuff, but no cloud or password functions -  a life saver when required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acronis-True-Image-HD-Backup-Software-Activation-License-Key-/272245785681?hash=item3f631d0451:g:QxgAAOSwiYFXE2fa

I have Acronis on all my PC's, and it's quite nice that once the backup is created, it's available to view even on my non sim PC's, so if some discussion about config files or whatever arises, I can view the files in question no matter which PC I'm using.

Well worth £2!

Eugene

I had a succession of ntdll.dll errors related to MT6. 

It was resolved by going to the MyTraffic/Scenery folder and renaming Mytrafficmil.bgl file to Mytrafficmil.bgl.passive. 

This, of course, disables your military AI traffic. However, from what I have read elsewhere this is localised to the western United States for some reason and appears to not cause a problem elsewhere, which I can verify. Perhaps it is related to a rogue texture file on a USAF aircraft (or something weird happening at Area 51  :Tounge: )

• Upvote 1

Ian S

38.jpg