Sign in to follow this  
TrentXWB

Q400 pilot or Pro version

Hi guys,

I am thinking of getting Q400 but am. Not sure which version. I am comfortable flying PMDG NGX and T7.

I saw that Pro version has '4x smoother control' and 'TCS auto pilot' I am not quite sure what that is and if I need those features. I fly my PMDG without using any failures simulation.

I hope you guys can help me.

Thanks

Hendrik

In my opinion, the '4x smoother control' is reason alone to get the Pro version of the Q400.  There's a little setup involved, but it makes a huge difference in the control responsiveness.

The TCS works somewhat like the CWS feature on the NGX.  Unlike CWS (which remains on until you turn it off), on the Q400 you hold down the TCS button, make your attitude changes and then let go of the TCS button and the autopilot will maintain that pitch and/or bank. 

The other big addition on the Pro version is the head-up display.  It's not quite as sophisticated as the NGX but it is well done and makes it a little less harrowing to land in bad weather.

Even if you go for the pilot version you're in for a real treat.  It's a completely different beast and it is a challenge.  It has enough automation to not be overwhelming, but it is a plane you have to fly more than a plane you merely manage.  Best of all, for its depth it is incredibly frame-rate friendly.  In my opinion it is one of the best simulations ever created for FSX.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Richard P. Kelly

The HUGS  is worth the price of admission IMO. Who knows you might like it so much you want to use failures after you're comfortable with the aircraft :). Shared cockpit is a treat too although I've only got to try it a few times.

About the TCS,

Is it related to the stabilizer trim ? I noticed that i had the same buttons on my Saitek Yoke for the stabilizer trim

Thanks

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

If you don't need the failures, or the 125hz controls, go for the Pilot version. Learn to fly it first, and then upgrade to the Pro version for just the price difference. If you purchase from Just Flight, you receive bonus points which can be redeemed to reduce the upgrade cost even further.

Craig

In my opinion, the '4x smoother control' is reason alone to get the Pro version of the Q400.  There's a little setup involved, but it makes a huge difference in the control responsiveness.

The TCS works somewhat like the CWS feature on the NGX.  Unlike CWS (which remains on until you turn it off), on the Q400 you hold down the TCS button, make your attitude changes and then let go of the TCS button and the autopilot will maintain that pitch and/or bank. 

The other big addition on the Pro version is the head-up display.  It's not quite as sophisticated as the NGX but it is well done and makes it a little less harrowing to land in bad weather.

Even if you go for the pilot version you're in for a real treat.  It's a completely different beast and it is a challenge.  It has enough automation to not be overwhelming, but it is a plane you have to fly more than a plane you merely manage.  Best of all, for its depth it is incredibly frame-rate friendly.  In my opinion it is one of the best simulations ever created for FSX.

This tool will make setting up 125Hz so much easier

http://viaintercity.com/forums/bombardier-dash-8-q400-%28dhc-8-402q%29/majestic-q400-pro-125hz-controls-config-tool/msg2928/#msg2928

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

is there any video out there for TCS demonstration? Tried looking but couldnt find any

On 6/1/2016 at 8:55 PM, Travelling_Wilbury said:

This tool just doesnt seem to work for me for whatever reason. Nothing gets changed when i tell it to update the ini file. Yes its running in Admin, yes it found the ini file and backed it up. The axis control check works fine but when I just set the controls and save nothing gets updated in the ini file.

From EGFF to YSSY

Did you make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 or later installed. I spent off and on about a weeks time trying to set up the 125HZ thing and the only thing that helped was that app, and it only took about 2 minutes. If I hadn't ran across that I'd still be setting here not knowing how fantastic the Q-400 was.  *edit   even if the app won't update it, just write down what it tells you and you can go into the ini and make the changes. Don't give up, it is well worth it.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's