Sign in to follow this  
hiway

Aircraft Stability

Hi all,

Very new to XP, Transition from FS9. Having much trouble with keeping aircraft stabilized on approach and take off. VERY jumpy and hard to control. Especially steering on take off. I'm using CH pedals. The skidding and sliding gets frustrating. Been flying FS9 for about 4 yrs. and had to tweak the aircraft CFG file to make them flyable.

Could this be done in Plane Maker? And what parameters would need looked at?

I've tried using the adjustments in the Null Zones tab. They don't seem to have much effect, unless I'm not using them correctly.

I'm attempting to fly the 172, the Baron, and the King Air 90. All default planes.

I'm hoping some of you very talented XP10'ers will get me back on the runway.

PT

Hello PT

Well, there are aspects in x-plane which can cause that overdone sensation of instability, where it shouldn't be. 

During years it was an overdone prop torque effect, which was finally corrected some versions ago. But problems like wind effects on ground (an overdone weathervane effect ) make even taxiing under slight crosswinds a nightmare... Not your fault, and certainly not realistic IRL...

Then, make sure in the controllers menu you set the artificial stability sliders full left ( NULL ) and the response sliders maybe halfway to the right ( exponential instead of linear ).

Another factor that may contribute to that "instability" sensation is the way wind shear, or simply wind variability is modelled in X-Plane 10. In that particular aspect I myself find it more realistic than default fsx ( and hence fsx:se and p3d ), but it can surprise users coming from those platforms. Maybe X-plane 10 interprets a METAR field like, for example:

200V360

a bit to abrupt in the way wind direction varies in time, and if a gusting field is present like, for example:

27010G25KT

then things can get even more intense... Sometimes to this and depending on other factors, X-Plane's weather engine also adds turbulence, and again, turbulence can be rather intense.

This may help

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Good points. I guess I thought artificial stability would help in this problem, but you're saying keep them to the left. I'll try tuning them some more.

It's just that thousands of users are having a good experience w/XP10. I don't know why I'm not.

Thanks - PT

It's just that thousands of users are having a good experience w/XP10. I don't know why I'm not.

You are wrong. At frirst many things in X-Plane look and feel weird, when you are coming from FSX/FS9. It taikes some time till you get used to the differences. When you have a few flight hours under your belt, things will improve gradually.

When I mdae the jump (right after the release of X-Plane 10) I had real trouble to get used to the different keys and commands. Today I really have to wonder why I ever thought that the FSX keys and commands were logical..

• Upvote 5

You are wrong. At frirst many things in X-Plane look and feel weird, when you are coming from FSX/FS9. It taikes some time till you get used to the differences. When you have a few flight hours under your belt, things will improve gradually.

When I mdae the jump (right after the release of X-Plane 10) I had real trouble to get used to the different keys and commands. Today I really have to wonder why I ever thought that the FSX keys and commands were logical..

This. I never run FSX SE but the transition wasn't easy. In the end you quickly realize there's not point in delaying since X plane is a great sim.

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

Intel Core i7 6700K 4.5GHz

Corsair Vengeance Black LPX 32GB

Asus STRIX GTX 1080

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

Real aircraft are never quite as "busy" feeling as some are in X-Plane. Trim a real plane out, set a known power setting, and they're benign and stable.

That said, all other things being equal (like they ever really are :-)) it seems easier to make a given model feel "real" in X-Plane than in other platforms.

But.

BUT, every model needs expert attention in ANY platform. And there are good ones all around--Majestic, A2A, IXEG, etc. 

Real aircraft are never quite as "busy" feeling as some are in X-Plane. Trim a real plane out, set a known power setting, and they're benign and stable.

That said, all other things being equal (like they ever really are :-)) it seems easier to make a given model feel "real" in X-Plane than in other platforms.

But.

BUT, every model needs expert attention in ANY platform. And there are good ones all around--Majestic, A2A, IXEG, etc. 

Happily these days, quite a number of X-Planes are more stable, especially some newer payware. They even behave and act realistic in turbulent conditions.  After years of real life flying, I'd sometimes go nuts, within about five minutes of X-Plane flight. Just too much moving around, that reminded me of some serious miss-rigged aircraft. Some people think that air is constantly moving an airplane in all directions. Not so!  I really do like X-Plane these days. 

I'm attempting to fly the 172, the Baron, and the King Air 90. All default planes.

As noted above in the post previous to mine, there's a lot of newer payware that are far more stable. I originally found the default planes to be far too 'twitchy', but really, I've never bothered with them except out of curiosity once or twice.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Happily these days, quite a number of X-Planes are more stable, especially some newer payware. They even behave and act realistic in turbulent conditions.  After years of real life flying, I'd sometimes go nuts, within about five minutes of X-Plane flight. Just too much moving around, that reminded me of some serious miss-rigged aircraft. Some people think that air is constantly moving an airplane in all directions. Not so!  I really do like X-Plane these days. 

Agreed! My best-flying plane, right now, is the IXEG 737. Trim it and it's fingertip flying all day, yet it still feels alive. The Airfoil 172 is nice, too, but such a frame-pig, and buggy as well. (And it's a high-wing Cessna. Gak!). A really good low-wing plane, a King 225 and a Garmin 750 in X-Plane would complete the picture, for me.

A really good low-wing plane, a King 225

Airfoillabs next project...King Air 350! :smile:

In the mean time I've started flying the Turbolet 410. This aircraft is amazing! Flies well and looks really well done. So, until I can figure out Plane Maker, I'm enjoying flying again.

If you don't have this yet, you should give it a try.  Also looking forward very much to the AirFoillabs King Air 350. - PT