Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

What's so Special about Aerofly FS 2 ?...

I'd say, simplicity of use together with three features I really have to point out:

-The quality of the flight dynamics, even if they've somehow simplified things like damage model from the previous version, but can of course probably be activated again, I'm almost sure. But the overall feel of flying each of the models is simply superb, and gives me a unique sensation of being there!

- Scenery: the photo scenery is excellent, compared to anything I ever tried for either MSFS or X-Plane with ortophotos, and while it makes me start to really consider finally investing on a bigger SSD just for the sim, I really don't mind that Aerofly occupies that much space, provided they really go ahead and make the whole World, in a mix of detail depending on areas, and third parties consider offering their own add-ons;

- Smoothness, even at the higher graphics levels on my old i5 2500.

Some three years ago, when I started using DCS World as an alternative to my civil flightsims because it offered such good flight dynamics, I asked at the PMDG forums, knowing some members of the team were active DCS players themselves, if they could consider developing for it, but the answer came fast, from RR, and was a No, because they will only support a platform with World coverage. Well, here's one, and one that in my opinion has the potential to grow into something really good!

Are Aerofly flight dynamics better than those of X-Plane 10 ?  Well, I'd say Yes, because I do feel the aircraft so far available in this pre-release respond to my control inputs in an even more natural way, from the Sopwith F.1 to the 744. I've been running my usual battery of tests with each of the prop aircraft, now changing to the airliners, and while the various prop effects are there, they are in a more plausible and realistic way than what I find in other civil flight simulators ( fsx lacking most of it, xpx having more than it should... )- their real world counterparts are designed to be easy to fly, and not present such vices as those we sometimes find in even the best payware models for the other platforms. When brought to "extreme" situations, like in free aerobatics, Aerofly FS 2 shows even better it's potential! 

Even if some basic stuff isn't yet modeled, like fuel consumption, the hooks are there in the data files for the aircraft, at least those we can open and explore using Notepad. It was with access to these sintax that one of the users has already made available a mod for the C172 allowing for starting and shutting down the engine, electrics, using the mixture, and I am sure many more features can easily be added, but the authors are willing to listen to their user community and making the platform grow according to as much dimensions as possible.

ATC is already being considered, an important feature that doesn't have to be too complex for a start, but really makes a difference, and if well implemented can add to the already extraordinary feel of being there that the sim offers. Systems modeling like LNAV and VNAV ( a basic implementation to start with, I guess ) for the airliners and the Lear and C90, and many more details, as well as additional DLC aircraft and detailed scenery areas are things to expect in the future from IPACS.

I decided to embrace this project, I'd say with almost the same will I embraced MS FLIGHT, and some years ago Flight Unlimited 3, and Fly. I would really like to see PMDG getting in, but not in the way things happened with their debut in the flight simulation market, leaving me an many other Fly users with  757, and many dreams of further airliners.... But A2A, FSLabs, Carenado, Flight1, Aerosoft, Just Flight ( they actually already cooperated with Aerofly fs 1 ) and others should really consider this alternative flight simulator.

Another area where Aerofly has potential is Weather modeling. I like the way they model such basic things as wind variation and turbulence, making my landings sometimes interestingly challenging, and I also like the thermals model which even if basic, is more detailed than what we get with X-plane, and can really create opportunities to enjoy one of the two gliders already available for Aerofly FS 2.

It could start with adding "simple" METAR fetch for whole World stations network, as it is presently done in other sims, and maybe even grow to something like "virtual glider" suggested at another thread!

Let's hope for the Best for Aerofly, but, if possible, let's do a bit more than just hope...I did, and my small disk hearts :-), but I do not regret having done it, and am really enjoying doing everything from landings under windy and turbulent conditions, to aerobatics and soaring. The scenery is simply the Best for VFR I have used so far!

• Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Bem vindo a bordo!

Obrigado! :good:

The Baron 58 is one of my preferred GA twins. Seeing it in your avatar makes me think that makes two of us :-)

I find the one in Aerofly fs 2 pretty pleasant to fly. Feels remarkable in the air, and on ground - the physics modelling looks really good in this sim.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Nice post, Jose. It reminds me of the passion and enthusiasm I had for Flight Unlimited 3 :smile: I am keeping a close eye on this one, because a modern version of the Flight Unlimited series would be a seriously welcome addition to the flight simulation community.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Obrigado! :good:

The Baron 58 is one of my preferred GA twins. Seeing it in your avatar makes me think that makes two of us :-)

I find the one in Aerofly fs 2 pretty pleasant to fly. Feels remarkable in the air, and on ground - the physics modelling looks really good in this sim.

You must have noticed then how much right rudder you have to put to have it flying straight and not having it veering off to the left, compared to the FSX/P3D version (both base and Carenado, for example).

I like very much how the Baron is modeled in Aerofly FS 2, although it is pretty weird to use the prop lever to control taxi speed, as long as the mixture lever is not implemented :-)

I hope that Jan will soon make available another mod for the Baron, as he did for C172, implementing cold&dark procedures and other nice additions, although I am afraid that we'll need IPACS help to have the mixture implemented.

Thx Christopher, I do share your good memmories of FU2 & 3... and I strongly hope Aerofly FS 2 succeeds! 

Main Simulation Rig:

Nice post, Jose. It reminds me of the passion and enthusiasm I had for Flight Unlimited 3 :smile: I am keeping a close eye on this one, because a modern version of the Flight Unlimited series would be a seriously welcome addition to the flight simulation community.

I made that same conclusion comparing it to FU3,it was really a great sim. You should pick up Aerofly 2 it's worth the money and with the high res textures pack it looks spectacular. And the performance is amazing

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The Baron pulls to the left? I thought that was only a problem with single prop airplanes?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It also pulls to the left on takeoff, but not as much as a powerful single prop aircraft - a detail missed in different versions of the Baron 58 I've used among various simulation platforms, but very well captured in Aerofly FS2, comparable only to my good old ELITE ( now v9 ).

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

What's so special? Native VR support now! I have the Rift and what a difference!

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Already things are happening with the updates coming and picking up on user's wishes. ATC has been already declared a priority! THe future is looking good!

This might be the sim that will lure me away at last from my beloved FS9...

• Upvote 2

perhaps DTW should buy Aerofly and abandon FSX as well try to rewrite a new sim. Martin, it's not too late to change your boss's mind.... I see this period as a repeat of the days when we had a number of promising sims....

tony

Lot's of good news almost every week, and a pleasure to use in every sim session.  

Main Simulation Rig:

Nice post, and I appreciate the positive attitude. Sadly, we don't see enough of that across the various platform forums.

I am keeping a close eye on it for sure, and of course if other aircraft developers jump on board then I'd be even more interested. As it stands right now, it just doesn't yet offer any aircraft that I'm really interested in flying, with the exception of the gliders. If the gliding aspect is well done, then I might look at coming on board one of these days just for that.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thx Jim,

I am above all enjoying what I already have. A couple of years ago I had bought Aerofly FS 1, but due to the restricted area, no navaid modeling, and lack of additional scenery areas, and because it was then announced that internally work on V2 had already started, I lost interest in it and decided to wait for ths new version.

When I'm not playing Aerofly FS 2 PC version, I am digging into the structure of the "aircraft configuration files", trying to figure the structure, which is actually very well structured, and whenever possible also trying to see how further development can progress from there, and it's indeed in this aspect that I think Aerofly FS 2 is so promissing. The hooks are there, and once the SDK becomes available, I'd like to see interest from further 3pds in the platform.

Main Simulation Rig: