Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Inserting Javier's Carrier into EXE.XML

Hi All,

I'm trying to add Javier's Carrier to P3D v3.35. I have it installed, but I have been unable to edit the EXE.XML file to add the necessary entries for the carrier. For whatever reason, when I go to save the edited results from NotePad, the saved file gets corrupted and does not look anything like what it should.

Is Notepad the correct tool, or should I be using something else?

Bill lark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Bill,  There is more then likely a Problem with either your Header Code or the bit your trying to add 

What location?  AppData\Roaming or ProgramData ? 

Can you Copy and Paste your exe.xml file here, (Including the extra bit) 

Hi Poppet,

I running P3D v3.35 under Win 10 (a recent clean install). You are probably correct about using the wrong header code.

The file I'm attempting to modify is the Exe.xml located in the AppData\Roaming section.

I have tried using NotePad and Notepad++ unsuccessfully so far. The file I'm trying to modify by adding AICarriers looks like this below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252" ?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">  <Descr>Launch</Descr>  <Filename>EXE.xml</Filename>  <Disabled>False</Disabled>  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Name>GoFlight Hardware Interface</Name>
    <Path>C:\GoFlight\GFDevP3D.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine></CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>

</SimBase.Document>

What I want to add is the AICarrier segment from an older exe.xml file below from my P3D v2 Win 7 setup to the file above:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>exe.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Couatl</Name>
    <Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>AICarriers</Name>
    <Path>C:\Program Files (x86)\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>-nogui</CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>as_btstrp_config_manager</Name>
    <Path>as_srv\as_btstrp_config_manager.exe</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>GoFlight Hardware Interface</Name>
    <Path>C:\GoFlight\GFDevP3D.exe</Path>
    <CommandLine>
    </CommandLine>
  </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

However, whenever I make changes and save the file, it ends up looking something like this:

Launch EXE.xml False False False False GoFlight Hardware Interface C:\GoFlight\GFDevP3D.exe   False False AICarriers C:\Program Files (x86)\AICarriers\aicarriers.exe -nogui

So which app do you use, Notepad or Notepad ++?

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

It doesn't matter both should work...

See attached file and save it in your C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

Rename the file to exe.xml

exe_xml.txt

André

Somehow it looks like you have something that is stripping out the <> codes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Vic,

Which tool should I be using for this task?

Notepad or NotePad ++

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Vic,

Which tool should I be using for this task?

Notepad or NotePad ++

Bill Clark

Do you want help or not?

Or only from Vic because then I leave this topic be lol...

I gave you the new location for the dll and exe xml files because P3D v3 has a different file logic now.

P3D will still also read the old location and combine both for the time being...

Did you try the file I attached and simply rename it for testing purpose?

Then you can rule out a problem with language setting on your O/S etc...

You can edit the files both with notepad or notepad ++ for a decade lol if that doesn't work local then there is something else in play running win 10 64 bit here ;-)

You did check if the file paths are correct?

André

Andre,

I apologize as I missed your post. I acted on Vic's automated response first and missed yours buried further down in my email stack.

Yes, I took your modified file, renamed it EXE.XML and pasted it back into the folder I had originally taken it from. So after installing Java, Javier's carrier was available in the "Add-On" pull down menu so I was able to launch it and overfly to see it was moving and appeared to be properly configured. Once I install a carrier plane into P3D, I'll verify that the catapults and arresting gear works............I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Once again, I thank you for taking your valuable time and making the modification for me!!

Cheers,

Bill Clark

I'm not sure why my efforts failed, as I have done this before unless I need to do something different with Windows 10?

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Andre,

I apologize as I missed your post. I acted on Vic's automated response first and missed yours buried further down in my email stack.

Yes, I took your modified file, renamed it EXE.XML and pasted it back into the folder I had originally taken it from. So after installing Java, Javier's carrier was available in the "Add-On" pull down menu so I was able to launch it and overfly to see it was moving and appeared to be properly configured. Once I install a carrier plane into P3D, I'll verify that the catapults and arresting gear works............I see no reason why it shouldn't.

Once again, I thank you for taking your valuable time and making the modification for me!!

Cheers,

Bill Clark

I'm not sure why my efforts failed, as I have done this before unless I need to do something different with Windows 10?

No need to apologize Bill, we are here to help each other to get the most out our beloved hobby.

I personally would only make sure that I wouldn't interfere with your preferences.

Did you in notepad saved the file as ANSI because I'm with Vic here something is probably stripping the code local.

So maybe an encoding type? in notepad you can choose the encoding during saving.

André

To All,

I went back and tried it with Notepad and was successful....................it appears everything has to be perfect or else it will not work. So I must have had a mistake in it. I did, as before, use ANSI

Again, thanks,

Bill 

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2