Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Beta Testing

Beta testers, posting in the AVSIM Forums, should make everyone aware of your affiliation(s) in your signature so our membership can see where you are coming from when posting.  In the past we asked developers to let us know if they are developers so members can see the individuals affiliation when posting.  We never did this for beta testers but, ethically and morally, letting our membership know who you represent or work for should be included in your signature.  Beta testers should be proud to show they are beta testing products!  I have seen a lot of outstanding banners in signatures showing the product with the words "Beta Tester" inside.  That's a good idea but I am not asking for everyone to post a banner with the words "beta tester" inscribed, just asking everyone to indicate they are a beta tester for (name of company).  That way our members will know, just like we know many members are developers, they are beta testing.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

NDAs frequently prevent testers from declaring that they are testing a given product. I think this new requirement is completely off the wall. Beta testers neither represent or, in any DOL sense, "work for" the company they are testing for. I've done testing for multiple companies and will again. I have no intention of declaring who they are or were since I disagree with the concept that I have any ethical or moral (good grief!) reason for doing so.

David Jones

Thankfully, I am not bound by the Official Secrets Act, so everyone can see my beta tester affiliations below.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Beta testers, posting in the AVSIM Forums, should make everyone aware of your affiliation(s) in your signature so our membership can see where you are coming from when posting

I completely agree with this,   I often see people posting testing opinions on Upcoming Software releases with no Details in there Signature,  I know these are Beta Testers because Im here long enough but a lot of folks wont know,  I thinks its important to have your affiliation details in your Signature. 

=============

Off topic slightly here, My apologies, but one of my pet annoyances is Commercial members with absolutely know Details in there Signature,   What is the point of that?  Why are they Commercial members?   Personally speaking i think they should have either a Link to there product page or Details in there Signature as to why they are Commercial members.

Rant over :smile:  

NDAs frequently prevent testers from declaring that they are testing a given product. I think this new requirement is completely off the wall. Beta testers neither represent or, in any DOL sense, "work for" the company they are testing for. I've done testing for multiple companies and will again. I have no intention of declaring who they are or were since I disagree with the concept that I have any ethical or moral (good grief!) reason for doing so.

David Jones

If you read my topic, it is not a mandatory requirement.  I only suggest it is ethically and morally correct to let us know who you represent when posting.  Developers let us know who they are, why not the beta testers too?  Personally I would be proud to post that I'm on a beta testing team.

Off topic slightly here, My apologies, but one of my pet annoyances is Commercial members with absolutely know Details in there Signature, What is the point of that? Why are they Commercial members? Personally speaking i think they should have either a Link to there product page or Details in there Signature as to why they are Commercial members.

Rant over :smile: 

That would be against our advertising and signature policy.  You can bet the developers would love to post a link to their website.  But that would not be fair to our advertisers who pay to advertise on AVSIM.  Most of the time, a developer will post a banner representing his/her company and maybe his/her title in the company too.  Those are allowed, but no active links to their website.  Rant over!  :lol:

• Upvote 2

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Done :-)

Jim, I guess I'm now within the rules :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Beta testers, posting in the AVSIM Forums, should make everyone aware of your affiliation(s) in your signature so our membership can see where you are coming from when posting.  In the past we asked developers to let us know if they are developers so members can see the individuals affiliation when posting.  We never did this for beta testers but, ethically and morally, letting our membership know who you represent or work for should be included in your signature.  Beta testers should be proud to show they are beta testing products!  I have seen a lot of outstanding banners in signatures showing the product with the words "Beta Tester" inside.  That's a good idea but I am not asking for everyone to post a banner with the words "beta tester" inscribed, just asking everyone to indicate they are a beta tester for (name of company).  That way our members will know, just like we know many members are developers, they are beta testing.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

Good advice that would make great policy if needed.

It is just common sense to avoid real or perceived conflict of interest.

Kind regards,

Jim, I guess I'm now within the rules :-)

You are!  Thanks.  Classy looking banner!

Good advice that would make great policy if needed.
It is just common sense to avoid real or perceived conflict of interest.

Thanks Stephen for your comments.  Seems to me, if everyone has no conflict of interest when posting, the OP should be a no-brainer.  It also shows your active participation within the community.  Many of our products would not be as good as they are without the beta testers!  Beta Testers Rock!!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Its the exceptions that prove a rules utility, having produced payware releases for over a dozen companies the only fair way I have to equitably demonstrate my preferences and allegiances is to not place any banners in my signature, here first and foremost I am " Avsim Staff " , I started volunteering before I became " commercial " ,  prior to the hack there were 25 pages of freeware files I uploaded to Avsim , now there are at least 25 pages of product descriptions but my heart is still centered here , its been my great pleasure to post the Library files every morning for the last ten years.

Proudly Signed

C Jodry

Avsim Staff

• Upvote 1

I was a Beta Tester for a product a number of years ago, and unless it's changed, letting people know who you are Beta testing for is a very bad no-no.

I felt honored to be invited, and would be honored to be invited again. I enjoyed the experience, and like to thik that my input changed the final product for the better in some small ways, and that's all you can ask for.

I suppose that with the smaller developments, where there is a beta testers forum open to the public, revealing your affiliation would probably be OK, but if you are part of a closed Alpha or Beta test program, you're really honor bound not to disclose what is going on to outside parties.

There are different types of beta testers, John. My own beta tester status for UK2000 and SIM720 is quite clearly stated every time that I post in the respective public forums, so it isn't a problem for me. However, I understand that beta testing some products involves non disclosure agreements, and (I assume) these are the ones where beta testers need to stay quiet :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, we don't want beta testers prohibited by an NDA to disclose this type of information.  I know some developers require secrecy.  Again, disclosure is purely voluntary and not mandatory here at AVSIM.  I just thought some would like to share the fact they were a beta tester for various products.  It provides our membership with some valuable information about your expertise. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I am a Beta tester for SimStarter. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I think it's a great point / idea.  As users, we want to know if we're seeing content that is genuinely free of commercial interest / connection, or that which comes from someone connected to a developer. Not that there's any suggestion of the latter being fundamentally worth less than the former - but I think the user should know. I can't seen any reason why beta tester status should be secretive.    It's not like we're beta testing surveillance software for MI6 here! :smile:

Bill (beta tester for 'Q', 00 section, SIS, Vauxhall Bridge, London)

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.