Sign in to follow this  
Skyseek

FSX SE Simconnect

For Active Sky Next Networked Configuration I need to be running 10.0.61259.0 on my FSXSE server, and also on the ASN client.  I uninstalled all Legacy SimConnects via Windows 10 control panel.  I have reinstalled 10.0.61259.0 on the server and client machines.  However the 10.0.61259.0 didn't overwrite the simconnect.dll in the FSXSE FSX folder.  It is still the latest FSX SE version 10.0.62615.0 which according to ASN support is NOT compatible.  My question is when I ran the Simconnect.msi for FSX-XPACK, where the heck does in install the simconnect.dll?  It doesn't overwrite the one in the FSX folder.  I need to locate it so I can manually copy it to the FSX folder.

I tried search my hard drive but the versions it found were not 10.0.61259.0...

This is the only Add-On that I have literally spent hours and hours trying to configure it.

SimConnect .msis install dlls to C:\Windows\WinSxS and the app finds them from the system paths, this is the way SimConnect works. Placing SimConnect .dlls around in app folders is not recommended, or is uninstalling SimConnects.

If we install FSX-SE it usually installs 61259, but we should also install 60905 and 61242 if we are going to use addons built for FSX.

On all other PCs we install the .msis of all four SimConnects, the apps will then find them automatically.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Normally I would agree with your theory.  However, even though uninstalling 10.0.62615.0 and all of the others, and installing 10.0.61259.0 only, in the SimConnect log file it still indicates 10.0.62615.0.  That 10.0.62615.0 version of simconnect.dll still exists in the FSX folder thus it is loading as the version of simconnect.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

This sounds wrong, to my best knowledge you cannot "install" the SimConnect "server" part (the API itself). It is hard coded into the simulator, and FSX:SE will always yield that version number when questioned.

All that you can do is to install different clients. As long as your client version is lower than the server version number, then it generally works. If your client version is higher than that of the server, it will fail (for example if you try to run an app compiled with SimConnect for P3D 3.2 in a P3D 3.1 sim installation - this will never work)

As ASN is compatible with FSX:SE I would think that installing the FSX:SE SimConnect client on your client system should do the trick. On the server it should be enough to provide the correct server network config (simconnect.xml and simconnect.ini). No additional SimConnect installation on the server is necessary (and will not have any effect, as you can only install additional clients, not servers).

Only if you try to run addons that were compiled with earlier versions of SimConnect on the same machine as the simulator, it is required to install the apropriate SimConnect client too. Thankfully (until now) the server part in the simulators has still remained compatible, and as long as the addon plays by the rules, even stuff compiled with FSX Acceleration SimConnect works in P3D V3.3 - if you install the FSX Accel SimConnect client.

LORBY-SI

Normally I would agree with your theory.  However, even though uninstalling 10.0.62615.0 and all of the others, and installing 10.0.61259.0 only, in the SimConnect log file it still indicates 10.0.62615.0.  That 10.0.62615.0 version of simconnect.dll still exists in the FSX folder thus it is loading as the version of simconnect.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

It's not a theory, it's how it works. FSX-SE installs 62615 and 61259 with the sim. It's up to you to install 61259 on your remote PC if that's the version your addon uses. The version of SimConnect that the app is written for *is required*, a later version will not work.

More about SimConnect here: SimConnect Notes.

Unfortunately, it is not connecting.  ASN doesn't detect any configuration issues with, however it is stuck on  Waiting for Simulator.

Going to follow the ASN instructions now.

Thanks everyone for your help.  It still seems there is some confusion on my part.  But thanks to the replies, I have a little bit better understanding.

Check the bottom of that page I linked the SimConnect setup files, make sure of them or it won't connect.

Hi Steve... Thanks for your post, great information.

I have two completely backed up refreshed machines.  On the client and server machines which versions of SimConnect need to be installed.  I believe on the server by default of the install of FSXSE, 10.0.61259.0 and 10.0.62615.0 are now installed on the server.

Do BOTH of these packages need to be installed on the client?

Also, should I disable the firewall on both machines?  That way there is no port restrictions.

This is a private local network behind a router firewall.

Thanks!

Hi, In the test in the link I'm not making any security changes, the two PCs logons match. I would install 60905 and 61242 on the server as well. The client PC must have all the simconnect.msi installed equally.

So the client will have all 4 simconnect versions installed on it as welll?

Thanks!

Yes!

All installed in both machines.  One suggestion was run the AI Traffic App to see if the simconnect is working properly..

Hey Steve,

We have success!  See below...Now I just have to load ASN?

Sorry Steve,

Not sure how to attach a graphic..

It did connect.

Steve,

All set it works.. Now I have a really weird problem. Activating the ATC menu, and using the Alt key to display the FSX SE menus isn't working now.  Not sure what is wrong...I can do a Alt F4 to exist FSX SE, again the Alt Key doesn't display the FSX SE menus.

May have to post this on the general forum...

It's not a theory, it's how it works. FSX-SE installs 62615 and 61259 with the sim. It's up to you to install 61259 on your remote PC if that's the version your addon uses. The version of SimConnect that the app is written for *is required*, a later version will not work.

More about SimConnect here: SimConnect Notes.

Hi Steve where is the 62.615msi simcinnect installer located. on my server I have already installed but my client I don't.

thanks in advance 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Steve,

All set it works..

Good work, SimConnect should be second nature to you now! :)

Hi Steve where is the 62.615msi simcinnect installer located. on my server I have already installed but my client I don't.

thanks in advance

Regular installation of FSX-SE in SDK:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib"