Sign in to follow this  

I still get an awfully looking haze

I sort of expected AS16 to solve the haze problem but right now I am flying through the mountains on a cloudy day and all I see around me are HARD lines of haze, like the haze is some sort of see through wall. Very awful. And when I look around with TrackIR the base of that wall moves all over the place. Totally unrealistic and immersion spoiling. All the trees around me are seem to move in and out of that wall. Hard to describe but it looks terrible. Also the haze constantly disappears INSTANTLY when I fly through it (or at random). I never actually fly in and out of haze in a realistic way. In short: the haze looks very ugly and the experience is totally unrealistic. It's like flying through curtains all the time.

I btw tried to disable the default haze in AS16 but whenever I restart the program that option is off again, while default should be on.

EDIT

After flying some more I do think those walls isn't haze but low clouds I am flying through... I see loads of curtains all around me, moving as I look around. My goodness, how ugly. Don't think removing the default haze will solve this. I will look for some historic weather without low clouds in the mountains because this really sucks too much,

9d57bc964b.jpg

Oh when will we get 3D clouds. Actually your example seems worse than with REX soft clouds.

Make sure to save the settings in AS16 before restarting the program.

Oh when will we get 3D clouds. Actually your example seems worse than with REX soft clouds.

Yes, only 3D clouds will solve this... But interesting: REX soft clouds has less problems with this...?

But interesting: REX soft clouds has less problems with this...?

Agree

Agree

Agree as in 'that's interesting indeed' or agree as in 'that's a fact'? ;) If this is a fact, I will buy the soft clouds immediately.

If that's the best impression of haze that they can do, then they need to go back to the drawing board. Those "curtains" are 1990s material.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Agree as in 'that's interesting indeed' or agree as in 'that's a fact'? ;) If this is a fact, I will buy the soft clouds immediately.

Hi J van E !

I have REX soft clouds running with AS16 and I also see this behavior... :sad:

Did you try to set a "Low Cloud Offset" in AS16 (P3d Low Cloud Offset option) ?

O, bummer... Didn't try that offset: will do so with my next flight!

Not just me then? I have OpusFSI and REX Soft Clouds and get the same thing. I asked at Opus and didn't get a definitive answer, so I figured I'd have to live with it. I don't recall having this issue before. The trouble is I can't remember before what!

I'm watching with interest.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Hi, this was my impression from screenshots here. http://www.avsim.com/topic/488536-there-be-mountains-in-australia/?hl=%2Bhaze#entry3421018 . Although Mitch only mentions ASN haze in this thread. I was under the impression that he was using soft clouds before he switched to AS16.

I experience softer edges also in FS9. But maybe it has something to do with the altitutde - if the bottom of the cloud is way below the terrain level then softer edges won't make much difference I suppose.

Hi, this was my impression from screenshots here. http://www.avsim.com/topic/488536-there-be-mountains-in-australia/?hl=%2Bhaze#entry3421018 . Although Mitch only mentions ASN haze in this thread. I was under the impression that he was using soft clouds before he switched to AS16.

I experience softer edges also in FS9. But maybe it has something to do with the altitutde - if the bottom of the cloud is way below the terrain level then softer edges won't make much difference I suppose.

Aaaaah, ok, well, thanks for adding this. I thought you were speaking from experience in a similar situation. The screenshots you linked to don't show the problem I am having: not even close. From that altitude it is indeed quite hard to see what I am experiencing. So soft clouds apparently aren't the answer... Bummer. Historic weather it is then for the time being...

The REX soft cloud is just a texture, you will still see the ugly 'haze'. The only way to solve this is to prevent the cloud sprite from intersecting the mountain mesh (showing the full sprite just above the mountain mesh). I wonder HiFi can figure out a way to do this?

I think its more of a job for Lockheed Martin. Clouds will contact the ground but theres something about the DX11 shaders that makes these things worse than they used to be. Clouds just used to be softer by design somehow. and they had much more color at sunset back in version 2.2. I wish LM would go back a bit and rethink what they've done to the lighting and clouds.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I saw what Jeroen saw. Then I had a brainwave.(had to have a little lie down afterwards) and then I saw this:

mist.jpg

My default weather setting was a theme (pretty clouds v1) which I changed to Real weather 15 minute variety.(A requirement for a SOH race)

Once in game I loaded my OpusFSI weather. Result=hard line mist.

Making my default weather 'User defined' and turning off every option then loading FSX and then OpusFSI the results were as above. My guess is that FSX/Jeppeson/Opus were fighting for control. Now there is only one boss.

What do you think? Possible?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.