Sign in to follow this  
darth_damian_000

Confused about "scenery" items in the software

Hello.

Although I don't see any issues, I have read about something about placing ORBX sceneries on the bottom of some list.

Can anyone explain this whole thing about scenery items, what difference does it make if they're in different positions, how to change their positions, and what are the downsides of a misconfigured lists?

Thanks.

This list you're referring to is the Scenery Library, which is accessed by going to World->Scenery library from the top menu bar within the sim. It's a list of all the scenery, default and add-on, installed in your simulator, and you can adjust the 'priority', i.e. the position of a scenery on the list by simply clicking 'move up' and 'move down'. You can also disable/enable scenery there. I'll let someone else explain the finer points of the scenery library and why it works the way it does, but FWIW I have ORBX global/vector/some of their freeware airports installed along with many other scenery addons and have never had to change anything. 

Very rarely do you have to worry a lot about the scenery library order. Between P3D itself and scenery installers, everything is generally put where it should go. Only problems I've ever had was placing the MyTraffic scenery and even that wasn't much of a concern.

I don't understand the concern of putting Orbyx scenery at the bottom of anything, it and UTX (landclass),etc. is always at the top, otherwise you wouldn't see what you paid top dollar for.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Very rarely do you have to worry a lot about the scenery library order. Between P3D itself and scenery installers, everything is generally put where it should go. Only problems I've ever had was placing the MyTraffic scenery and even that wasn't much of a concern.

I don't understand the concern of putting Orbyx scenery at the bottom of anything, it and UTX (landclass),etc. is always at the top, otherwise you wouldn't see what you paid top dollar for.  

True in general, but all non Orbx scenery and airports should be placed above the Orbx entries, which the various installers from FSDT, FlyTampa, etc., do automatically.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"