Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Problems with FTX/Orbx Elevations or other Anomalies?

I was having issues with my installation of Southern California.  For one, I could not fix elevation problems at KBUR (Bob Hope) or at KORS (Orcas) or KFHR (Friday Harbor).  Went to FTX/Orbx looking for a solution and received excellent support from Holger.  However, he could not replicate the elevation issues.  No one else was reporting this elevation issue at KBUR but saw some had issues at KORS and KFHR.

Here's what I was seeing at KBUR -

2016-7-14_19-42-13-369.png

And this was what I was seeing at KFHR -

Kfhr.png

I was moving Orbx/FTX files and scenery like those from FS DreamTeam around like crazy, putting the scenery files above and below Orbx/FTX files.  I was also editing files in my Scenery/World/Scenery belonging to FTX/Orbx.  I use the SceneryConfigEditor (SCE).  I like the utility but I scrolled down and decided to edit one of my default scenery areas.   Although I had the P3D scenery.cfg open in SCE, it was showing the default scenery was linked to my FSX folder!! (I also have FSX installed).  I clicked on 'Edit Area' for other default scenery and found all of my default areas were linked to my FSX directory.  So, changes made in the Prepar3D Scenery/World/Scenery, required by FTX/Orbx scenery, were not being loaded when I ran P3D because my default P3D scenery.cfg was linked to my FSX installation.  I manually changed each link to FSX to the location of my P3D files and I had no more elevation or other anomalies issues. 

In attempts to fix my elevations problems with FTX/Orbx, I also uninstalled my Prepar3D Scenery.content and then reinstalled the latest so this action could have caused the problem with the scenery.cfg too.

So, if you are having problems with elevation or other anomalies with any FTX/Orbx product, make sure your P3D scenery.cfg has links to the P3D scenery folder and not to the FSX folder.  If you do not have FSX or FSX-SE installed, then you should have no problems.  You should have no problems if you do not use the SCE utility too.  I will continue to use the SCE but will check the links to the default scenery occasionally.  If you uninstalled/reinstalled the P3D Scenery, then you should check your links too.

Hope this tip helps others!

Best regards,

Jim

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have elevation issues with KPSP. I do not own Orbx So cal.  I am using Megascenery so cal. I do not have FSX installed.

Not been able to figure out the issue yet.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have elevation issues with KPSP. I do not own Orbx So cal. I am using Megascenery so cal. I do not have FSX installed.

Hi Manny,

My issue was with FTX/Orbx Southern Calif installation.  Are you talking about FTX/Orbx KPSP?  If so, the product will not work with FTX Southern California OR Megascenery as that is stated in the product description on the FTX website.  The elevation issues between MegaScenery and KPSP are much different than what I discussed in my OP.  My OP was totally concerning the installation of FTX Southern California.  The elevation issues occurred because all of the elevation .bgl's that FTX places in Scenery/World/Scenery were installed in FSX's Scenery/World/Scenery and not into P3D's Scenery/World/Scenery as my P3D Scenery.cfg had the location of all of the default scenery linked to my FSX Scenery.cfg.  So, anything in P3D's Scenery/World/Scenery could not be seen as the P3D Scenery.cfg was linking to the FSX Scenery.cfg.  Sort of complicated.  How all of my default scenery in P3D got linked to the FSX locations is unknown.  I just brought it up as anyone having elevation issues with any of the FTX/Orbx products should check the links in the P3D scenery.cfg and make sure they are linked to P3D files instead of FSX files (if you also have FSX or FSX-SE installed).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

My issue was with FTX/Orbx Southern Calif installatio

Hi Jim

Yeah.. I was talking about FTX KPSP... and Yeah... I didn't mean to hijack the issue you were talking about.. My issue is quite different than the one you are talking about. I knew that.... Sorry! :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter