Sign in to follow this  
richie894

Changing motherboard and CPU - easy process?

So I currently have a i7 4790 and thinking about upgrading it to a i7 6700k. So to do so I believe I need a new motherboard also to go along with the cpu; as a 6700k will not fit in a 4790 slot??

With that being said is it as easy as switching the motherboard and cpu, plug my hard drive back in, then good to go as normal? Or is there something more to it? I do not really want to go through the process of having to buy or install windows again and I don't have any discs. I am hoping it is a simple process to upgrade.

UPDATE: 

Disregard. I found a youtube video which has instructions. Basically I just go into windows device manager and delete all the motherboard and cpu related drivers and then when I boot up with the new hardware it will add it and keep windows active as-is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGwa5TrTSL0.

Hey Richie,

After You get Your MoBo etc Changed out, You will Probably have to Re Activate Windows, Don't fight it , Its an easy Process. Before You can actually use Your System, You will have to Load MoBo Drivers, and Maybe Video Card Drivers ! Windows May want to Load its VGA Driver, You'll have to swap it out. Then-  Taxi Out for Takeoff !! - Enjoy !! - Johnman  B)

I decided to put this on hold. Upon reflection I don't think the FPS gains are worth the $$$. I initially thought I could just change the CPU, but I would need a new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. So it would put the cost at around $600 in parts to upgrade.

What about changing the 4790 to a 4790k and clocking it?

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

I thought about that. I guess a 4790 for a 4790k is an easier process. Just removing the chip and putting the new one in - along with an improved cooler. From what I could sell the 4790 for used, I think it would only be about a $150 upgrade.

I guess I would have to do some further research as I just have a bog-standard Lenovo motherboard. I am not sure how that will stand-up to overclocking.

I thought about that. I guess a 4790 for a 4790k is an easier process. Just removing the chip and putting the new one in - along with an improved cooler. From what I could sell the 4790 for used, I think it would only be about a $150 upgrade.

I guess I would have to do some further research as I just have a bog-standard Lenovo motherboard. I am not sure how that will stand-up to overclocking.

Ah, in that case 99.9% you would need to change the motherboard as well.  These proprietry motherboards usually have no overclocking options

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427