Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

VOR and NDB ranges

In Prepar3d V3, some VORs and NDBs are showing much shorter ranges than they should have. I'm trying to fly a route from SBRJ to SBSP using only navaids, but can't do it because NDBs and VORs ranges are too short, even at 30000 ft... Navigation charts show that these VORs and NDBs beacon some airways, but the signal is lost in the middle of the airway... I'm talking specifically about VOR "ADA", which beacons airway UZ44 and the NDB "SAT", which beacons the airway UZ45...

Thanks!

I only have access to FAA data, but I have found that when the navaid has a short range it is always because it has a terminal or low level classification. The range for these is typically 30nm.  It is common to see these navaids used as waypoints for high altitude long legs but that is only because the FMS knows the lat/lon of the location and uses INS/GPS for navigation when the radio is not within reception.

There is a tool out there that reads the bgls containing navaids and allows you to make changes. The original bgl is backed up and you start using a new one it provides.  Good place to look is here; http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

On 8/15/2016 at 11:07 PM, teopereira said:

Thanks, I found the tool BGLNavEditor in this site http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html and edited the VOR/NDB... Pretty easy to use!

Thanks!

Dear @teopereira

I fly this route almost everyday and I'm also facing this issue with some navaids. Also when flying from SBGL to SBGR some NDB's ranges are low and we fly blind without another navaid.

Could you explain to me, and other person who is looking for the answer, how to change the range of some NDBs or other Navaids?

I also need to change BFR (CABO FRIO) and TBE (TAUBATÉ).

Thanks you!

Edited by rmarx
Forgot to quote

6 hours ago, rmarx said:

Dear @teopereira

I fly this route almost everyday and I'm also facing this issue with some navaids. Also when flying from SBGL to SBGR some NDB's ranges are low and we fly blind without another navaid.

Could you explain to me, and other person who is looking for the answer, how to change the range of some NDBs or other Navaids?

I also need to change BFR (CABO FRIO) and TBE (TAUBATÉ).

Thanks you!

Dear all,

I was able to change the range of the NDBs I mentioned above.

I downloaded the program BGL Navaids Direct Editor v3.00 at http://aero.sors.fr/ --> Navdata --> Navaids tolls

The folder with the BGL files is located at, in my case, "\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\"

For the Navaids I quoted before, the file is located at "\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\0405\scenery"

The specific file is NVX04050.BGL. Inside of it there are some navaids. All the navaids all over the world can be found at the folder above.

Well, I changed the range of the one I needed to 150nm and they plane can identify correctly.

To use the program is very easy. No explanation is needed.

• Like 2

Thanx a lot for the detailed and precise explanation. 🙂🙂 This unfortunately happens rather seldom. 

Usually people respond with a short 'I fixed it', 'solved' etc. without any hint concerning a solution.   

As explained by Dan, many navaids that are part of the low/high airway system do not necessarily have a reception range that permits conventional radionavigation alone and are used as waypoints by the FMS without such restrictions
Although you can change navaid range as explained above, a more realistic practice is to use designated operational coverage when published by AIP or standard ICAO service volume according to navaid type when DOC is not available
Regarding navaids quoted above, you can refer to Brazil AIP
https://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/?i=publicacoes&p=aip
ENR 4.1

ADA DOC is 80 NM
SAT DOC is 128 NM
BFR DOC is unpublished (could be set to 50 NM, H NDB)
TBE DOC is 25 NM

Hervé

Edited by hervesors

On 10/18/2018 at 3:59 AM, J35OE said:

Thanx a lot for the detailed and precise explanation. 🙂🙂 This unfortunately happens rather seldom. 

Usually people respond with a short 'I fixed it', 'solved' etc. without any hint concerning a solution.   

You're welcome! I thought about other people who had the same problem and were lost in the air. During night and raining you can't see anything 😉

On 10/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, hervesors said:

As explained by Dan, many navaids that are part of the low/high airway system do not necessarily have a reception range that permits conventional radionavigation alone and are used as waypoints by the FMS without such restrictions
Although you can change navaid range as explained above, a more realistic practice is to use designated operational coverage when published by AIP or standard ICAO service volume according to navaid type when DOC is not available
Regarding navaids quoted above, you can refer to Brazil AIP
https://www.aisweb.aer.mil.br/?i=publicacoes&p=aip
ENR 4.1

ADA DOC is 80 NM
SAT DOC is 128 NM
BFR DOC is unpublished (could be set to 50 NM, H NDB)
TBE DOC is 25 NM

Hervé

Thank you very much for your information @hervesors it's great to have real information to simulate as real as it's possible.

ADA is correct with P3D, 80 NM

SAT is correct with P3D, 128 NM

BFR according to P3D is 50 NM

TBE is correct with P3D, 25 NM

Therefore, when I was flying the NDB range was not enough to cover the route. Since RNAV is replacing the navaids neither VOR nor NDB are needed anymore. Some exists as backup. The old routes were covered by VORs, which the range is better.

If it is of your interest I can share the route which uses NDBs as navaids.

Best regards!