Sign in to follow this  
Miketyler

install a2a aircraft into p3d

I have been following Poppet's lesson of installing a2a aircraft into p3d. It all went well until I had to rename a file Microsoft Games, it would not allow it because I have FSX installed.I wonder if there is a way around this.

Could it be that you changed the paths in the original keys instead of adding new keys and paths?

I didn't have to do anything other than add the FSX.exe. Didn't need to add new keys.  

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

There are P3D versions of most A2A aircraft. Installing the FSX licensed version into P3D is... well, not the thing to do...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have been following Poppet's lesson of installing a2a aircraft into p3d. It all went well until I had to rename a file Microsoft Games, it would not allow it because I have FSX installed.I wonder if there is a way around this.

Opps Im in trouble now  :smile:

You have 2 Options..........

(1)  You can try and Install the Old fighter A2A planes by just directing the Installer to your Prepar3D folder,  This works sometimes and some times it doesn't, The Boeing Cots wouldn't install this way for me anyway.    Please Note:  You will still need a copy of your Prepar3D.exe  and rename it to FSX.exe.  So basically you will have a Prepar3D.exe and an FSX.exe in your main Prepar3D folder.

(2) Is more for advance users only 

Temporary diverting Registry keys to point to Prepar3D.  

Be advised:  You need to undo the following process when finished Installing.  If you don't you will end up having Problems with Future Install Paths (Big Problems)     

---------------------------------------

You can Temporary divert your 2 Registry Keys Pathway from FSX  to Prepar3D.  

Enter your Registry editor   Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Microsoft Games \ Flight Simulator \ 10.0

First Copy and Paste your Current FSX Install Path somewhere safe,   So you can easily Paste it back in again when finished. 

Right Click AppPath,  Click Modify.   2 Enter Your Prepar3D Install Location.  3 The result. 

26130462951_5e267812bf_o.png

Next  Navigate to   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE \ Wow6432Node \ Microsoft \ Microsoft Games \ Flight Simulator \ 10.0      

Follow the exact same procedure as before 

For String Value, is SetupPath    for Value data:  Enter Your Prepar3D Install Location

When you are Finished Please correct the Registry Editor Paths to reflect your current FSX Install Path

With all due respect: installing A2A FSX planes into P3D is illegal so I doubt if it is wise to explain here on Avsim how to get that done. If someone wants to use an A2A FSX plane in P3D he or she has to buy the appropriate version.

There is no sign or document that indicates that installing A2A FSX legacy aicraft like the warbirds, the Cub  or the 377 which have no P3D version and most probably wont have in a foreseeable  future, is illegal. The how-to topic is raised, from time to time, at A2A's without any remonstrance from the team so far. Also, not only their installer can easily be redirected to P3D but the Accusim update module looks for and recognizes a FSX legacy aircraft installed in P3D !  The only drawback, a P3D install is not supported. A2A is a friendly company for users.

I installed my old Cub, P40, P51 and the 377 COTS without a hitch by putting an empty .txt file renamed fsx.exe in the P3D root and, to add suspenders to the belt, using the Flight1 registry repair tool to redirect the aircraft installer to it.

It you run P3D and want a great warbird, A2A has the best on the market. Do not hesitate, go and get one.  

Now, for the newer GA aircraft and the T6 which have two versions, I don't know whether it is legal or not but   I'd only say better buy the right version, it is adapted and supported. If you are in between there are very convenient bundles with the two versions.

A proud owner of 8 A2A aircraft  :wink:, 4 for FSX, 3 for P3D and one in two-version bundle !

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Basically A2A said its ok to install any of their FSX aircraft in P3D that don't have P3D native installers

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Basically A2A said its ok to install any of their FSX aircraft in P3D that don't have P3D native installers

In that case it s a big shame A2A created P3D installers... ;)

No because when they make an installer they thoroughly check compatibility. If one installs a FSX aircraft in P3D there is always a slight doubt. I didn't see anything wrong with the warbirds and the Strat' so far (and I fly them a lot !)  but the Cub on floats doesn't like the P3D water physics or so it seems on my rig. And that doubt will grow as P3D diverges from FSX more and more. So smartness is to buy a P3D version as much as possible, knowing that if none exists you can still enjoy the A2A FSX birds in P3D. And politely request Scott and team to adapt them in the future.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I was under the impression that it was ok to install your fsx products in P3D even if there are P3D installers/versions, but that it would be completely unsupported. This might have changed recently or I could also be completely wrong in the first place. I had the FSX version of the 172 i P3D, but updating the product was a hassle, so I let it go and bought all the P3D versions of A2A ac's instead, hasslefree and the guys at A2A deserves it:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Its the old A2A Fighter planes I'm talking about,  The planes that never got a Prepar3D Installer.  

Yes,  i do belief you should Purchase a Prepar3D Installer if there is one available