Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

F/D disappearing on final

Hello,

I usually fly the NGX as a F/O and noticed that my F/D disappeares on final approach, upon capturing the localizer the vertical component disappears before the horizontal one does as well when G/S's alive. I also lose my G/S and localizer indicators around the ADI. Following this I kind of execute a visual landing because there's no more indication on my PFD. However, this happens only at specific airports e.g. Toronto and Vancouver. The captain's F/D is still operating normally.

I looked up the FMC settings for displays but couldn't find anything related. Any ideas?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Please note forum rules ask that we sign all posts with full names.

I am not familiar with the acronym ADI..., you referring to an outer maker locator beacon?

Left PFD and right PFD having different indications could be because you have NAV 1 and 2 different? Not sure, never flown right seat but I have used the right outboard DU 2D popup as a replacement for the left outboard DU. Only happens at certain airports? Are you sure you have identified exactly what you are seeing?  For example, you're not confusing the VNAV/LNAV indicators for the ILS?

Dan Downs KCRP

I am not familiar with the acronym ADI..., you referring to an outer maker locator beacon?

I think he means the raw data LOC and GS pointers around the PFD attitude display.

Surely you haven't forgotten the Attitude Director Indicator? ;)

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just the Attitude Director Indicator like Kevin said, the artificial horizon without speed, altitude indicators etc. Underneath that is the localizer indicator and to the right the glideslope indicator. These are what keeps disappearing plus the F/D once localizer and G/S are captured. No idea why...

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've flown the old attitude indicator. Got used to the HSI in real world and the correct term for the attitude/airspeed/altitude indicator is PFD.  I'm not flying the NGX right now, but you said the left PFD is normal while the right PFD looses LOC/GS indicators?? That is odd and not something I've ever seen, and you added that it only happens at certain airports. My gut says you are missing something, perhaps I do no understand but what about the FMA? Is it announcing LOC and GS in green or white?

Dan Downs KCRP

FMA first shows LOC/VOR and G/S in white while armed and upon capturing in normal green, just how it should be.

Check to see if any failures are active? Who is the Master? The MA light on the MCP should be on the Pilot Flying side.

Haven't yet been able to get into the sim but how do I control the MA light? Via the navigation transfer/display switches?

Hello Dan,  I think you owe Ryan an apology, as  he did have his name on the original Post. I know we all make mistakes.

Nope, just turn the FD off on the FO side, the MA light will switch to your side if not already there and then re-enable the FO FD on. 

Nope, just turn the FD off on the FO side, the MA light will switch to your side if not already there and then re-enable the FO FD on.

I've tried switching it off already, didn't work. Switched off the Captain's too, then switched them off separately, nothing.

This is not confusing.  It's really simple, with both FD off the first one turned on is the master.  If you want the right side to be master turn it on first.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you want the right side to be master turn it on first.

When I turn the F/Ds on before the flight I always select the right one first.

You turn on right FD first but the left MA light is on even before you turn on left FD?  Something is getting lost here, I think we are pretty far off track of original problem that only happens at certain airports.

Dan Downs KCRP

I haven't had time yet to get into P3D and I can't remember what the MA light was doing on my last flights. However, I do know that I switch on the right one first every flight but it just keeps disappearing while on approach.