Sign in to follow this  
BramPeters

Another newbie searching for the best graphics card...

Good evening simmers! (Amsterdam Time)

First of all, I'm totally new to this forum so please correct me if I do something against the rules or place this topic in the wrong forum! I appreciate any help!

Ever since I was a teenager I was fascinated by aviation and playing Microsoft's Flight Simulator was therefore one of the things that I did the most in my spare time. However, I always did this on my father's computer which always seemed to handle this software pretty well. Now 5 years later, I'm a college student, moved out and got a new laptop and my fascination for flight simulation is back.. However, my new laptop can't handle FSX pretty well (low fps, crashes to desktop once in a while, lagging, etc.) So it does not seem to be a specific problem software wise, it just seems that something about my laptop just can't take FSX. (I've already did loads of tweaking tutorials on youtube but none really work)

Let me get this straight first, my knowledge on computer specifications and therefore also my pc terminology are very limited.. Though, I've been able to find the following information about my laptop (some might be irrelevant, I don't know!):

Lenovo Thinkpad W541

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4710MQ Quad Core (2,5 GHz, 6Mb Cache, Turbo 3,5GHz)
• RAM: 8 GB (1x 8GB) 1600Mhz DDR3 memory (3 free slots)
• HDD: 240 GB SSD
• Display: 15,6” FHD 16:9 LED-backlit, anti-glare (1920x1080 resolution)
• Graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2GB
• Ports: VGA + mini-Displaypoort 1. 2
• Wireless: Intel 7260 ac 2x2

I've already asked friends and the computer service desk at my uni what would probably be best to do in order to get the best out of FSX with the laptop that I have right now. Some say that my processor is just fine, but that it's the graphics card that is causing the lag. I'm willing to upgrade my laptop if neccesary (budget is around 300 euros = +- 350 usd). 

I don't know where to begin, but I want to start off by asking you guys whether these specifications on their own are enough to play FSX with without any considerable lag or crashes? Or if I should look further whether it's something settingwise.

Once again, please excuse me if I'm saying/asking something really dumb or unreasonable haha! It's just that I'd really like to pick up this old hobby of mine.

Thanks!!

Bram Peters

Amsterdam, Holland

Graphics cards are usually not that responsible for lags, low FPS, crashes (CTD) maybe!  Have you checked your

events viewer to see what kind of Faulting Modules are causing the crashes/CTDs?

Good giving your computer's specs, now what kind of addon aircraft, scenery, weather, or high CPU usage items are

you running?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Also, what is the contents of your fsx.cfg file?  Asking these types of questions without knowing how you configured FSX is like asking your mechanic to diagnose your car without seeing it.   :wink:

Also have you read and followed the directions of the Avsim configuration guide for FSX?

Ilya

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL