Sign in to follow this  
debug

Problem with non strictly transparent canopy

Hi,

I've searched to fix one problem found with a new bird (for me!): the package of Bf-109 found here http://en.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=10692&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=Flight%20Simulation&s_language=english

The DVD, as mentioned on the cover, should be FSX compliant. It includes F, G and K Bf-109 versions: at last the liveries of the last edited K version should be FSX DX10 compliant as I've found some topic related (FYI, these Bf-109 are edited from Flight Replicas).

I've tried many settings (even in the Debug tab of the DX10SceneryFixer application: great application, thank you  :smile:) and many forms of combining them too, but i can't fix the gray canopy showed in these pictures (opened and closed cockpit from inside and outside):

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GStY

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GStZ

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GSto

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GSt7

I've searched, googled, read a lot of forums too, but no result :nea:

Could anyone help me to find the solution please?

Thank you very much in advance!

(Please, excuse my poor english as it isn't my mother language)

Ok, I think in these cases all you can do is find the texture for the Windows and experiment with editing the alpha channel with dxtbmp. Try setting alpha to near zero if it is high or vice vesa.

if you type  avsim:  portover dx10  into google it will find you an old thread on window glass for various portover aircraft.   Unfortunately the most active poster there is no longer active but there are some hints there on how to use dxtbmp.

Hi,

A new time, many thanks for your assistance.

As you pointed it, I've tried many (re)paints but I can't correct the problem. But I'm a bad painter... Perhaps I don't apply the right process in order to correctly manipulate the files.

I've updated DX10 SF to v3 yesterday too, but no more result.

I'm going to continue to search some other tracks to find the solution...

But I'm currently listening for any help of course :smile: (and from anyone  :wink:).

Thank you.

I have ordered a copy, but as its on a dvd It may be a week or so.  (the postage was almost as much as the dvd).  I will see if anything can be done.

I use DXTBmp to open the texture file. I can then send the alpha channel to an editor - the most basic one is MSPaint. Modify the alpha (be careful if it has masks of shapes in it rather than just a square) and save it. Refresh the alpha in DXTBmp, apply that alpha to the image then save the texture file.

Hope this helps. I'm surprised no one has come up with a re-worked texture file to solve that already.

Kudos to Steve for buying the add-on to see what he can do! :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

It's worth ticking missing texture alert. If the environment texture is missing dx10 might switch in the black default texture causing a greyness.

Hi,

Incredible, I can't see the topic I had made! What I've been bad done???

The "proof" if anyone is possible: http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GSsM  :wub:

Thus, I post its content a new time:

Wow, it's a lot of honor! Thank you.

I'm "debuging" with Model Converter X: now I'm sure that the faulty texture is Fuselage 3.bmp   :smile: (at least! Perhaps others ones or others parameters/settings in the Bf-109 files...)

I hope I'm going slowly step by step to the solution...

EDIT: Arf, some problems remain: http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/GSWE

Hi,

I use DXTBmp to open the texture file. I can then send the alpha channel to an editor - the most basic one is MSPaint. Modify the alpha (be careful if it has masks of shapes in it rather than just a square) and save it. Refresh the alpha in DXTBmp, apply that alpha to the image then save the texture file.

I try that in fact, but I must be more rigourus/precise.

Can the BMP file format incorporate all these informations (I mean masks, layers...)? Or must I save into a DDS file (DXT5?) what I actually do?

Thanks.

I believe the BMP format will incorporate the changes. The textures I've corrected were all original BMP files in the POSKY 747-400 I use. (Kalitta Air freighter & Iron Maiden's Ed Force One repaint).

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Ok it arrived.

I don't think its something that I can handle in the fixer. I initially thought I could but the info isn't there,  if I change anything it impacts other aircraft.

I think that the alpha in Fuselage 3.bmp is being premultiplied by the diffuse alpha for the Me109.

Its fairly easy to fix, but you need to do it for every texture variant.

As HighBypass describes  use DxtBmp. 

Configure paint as the editor.  

Take a copy of Fuselage3 for each paint model.

Open Fuselage 3.bmp

Send  alpha to editor

look at it you in paint will see a grey square towards the centre top, which is 204,204,204 and is the alpha for the window.

Create a new color in the palette of about 50,50,50

Use the paint tin tool to paint the grey area to this new color which should make it darker.

Exit

Refresh Alpha in DxtBmp

Save in DxtBmp

This will make it very transparent in DX9 so perhaps convert a selection for DX10 and keep some for DX9??

Hi,

The STEVEFX DX10 Scenery Fixer Version 3.5 Build 110-113 (and superior) fixed the issue! Many thanks Steve!!!

Extract: "New option to fix reflections which were causing issues with Rick Piper’s A22 Foxbat. Also addresses opaque windows for Flight Replicas Me109 and improves reflections in Rick Piper’s Chipmunk. May improve other portover legacy aircraft as well."

It took me a while... (!)

I must apologise for failing to find this thread and notify you.  When I released it someone immediately thanked me and I mistakenly assumed that they were the person who had originally raised the issue.