Sign in to follow this  
Ecosse_821

New FS Computer / Thinking Standalone FSX-SE

I have a new i5 based computer coming to upgrade my flight sim setup. I plan to use a standalone install of FSX-SE. I wanted to see if anyone is aware of any compatibility or install issues with my addons:

Orbx FTX Global and Scotland
UTX USA
Active Sky Next
Rex Soft Clouds
Payware FSUIPC
Aerosoft Airbus A318/319 and A320/321
CaptainSim 707
CaptainSim 727
CaptainSim 737
CaptainSim 777
CaptainSim L1011
Coolsky DC-9
PMDG MD-11
PMDG JS4100
PMDG 737NGX
QuailityWings 757
QualityWings BAe-146/Avro
CLS MD-80
Feelthere ERJ-135/145
Majestic Q400
All of Dave Maltby's freeware jets (Trident, BAC-111, Comet, VC-10)

I think that's it.

Also any other tips / caveats / jeers / encouragement would be welcome!

I am going to be running under Win 7-64 Pro.

I do own FSX-Boxed and Acceleration disks, but I'd like to go with Steam going forward.

David Norman Paul

i'm not sure if the md-11 or the js4100 work fully with steam version. there may be a workaround for getting them installed, i don't know. but if those planes are very important to you, research that a little bit more before switching, there may have been a patch or something.

the orbx, rex, utx, asn, fsuipc should all work fine with steam. the q400 and 737ngx also work great. not familar with the other addons

cheers

-andy crosby

PMDG MD-11

As Andy/Spesimen wonders, the PMDG MD-11 (and perhaps the 747 and JS4100) are not officially supported by PMDG for use under FSX:SE. That being said, I can say that I have successfully used the MD-11 under Windows 7 x64 and FSX:SE with no workarounds necessary. Note that it does not work properly when using Windows 10.

Good luck with the new buildout!

I have used the MD11 in WIn 10 on FSX:SE. I didn't do anything different except for insuring I ran as admin.

The NGX, Q400 and AVRO all worked for me as well. 

I can't go retest it (the MD11) as I have a new PC and have decided to totally convert to P3D.

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

It seems like the JS4100 might be the problem child.   I think I might try installing FSX-SE and try the JS4100 in it and if it's a no go, just go with Boxed+Acceleration. 

David Norman Paul

It seems like the JS4100 might be the problem child.   I think I might try installing FSX-SE and try the JS4100 in it and if it's a no go, just go with Boxed+Acceleration. 

good luck with trying it out. that seems like a reasonable approach. with that expierment you may find that you prefer the steam version anyway.

i do miss the js4100, but SE brings so much better stability and vas handling that it would be difficult to convince me to go back just for a single aircraft. 

cheers

-andy crosby

So I spent the 3-day weekend putting the OS and FSX-SE and my addons on the new PC.

It was, as usual, a pain in the neck! But I am VERY pleased with the results. So far, the only addon that has issues is the PMDG JS4100, and they have stated that a fix will be coming for that when they are done with the new 747.

The new system rocks! I am running with almost all sliders max, except for I have max texture set to 30cm (and my UTX USA are set to 30cm also). I don't run lens flare or light bloom because I don't really like the effects.

Running with frames locked at 40. The CS 777 dips into the mid to low 30s occasionally in clouds, but the old system used to be a slide show with that plane in anything but clear weather and rural areas. NYC was a no go with that plane before!

The one thing I had to do with the PMDG NGX at JFK was turn off scenery ground shadows. That made a huge difference. It was a little choppy on takeoff with shadows on. Smooth as silk with them off.

The only changes I made to the .cfg file were WideViewAspect and Highmemfix.

I am not a big frame-rate watcher--I just want smooth performance. I can't get over how smooth it is running. Really nice.

David Norman Paul